Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Unreal Tournament Map (Skaarj Base)

Rhoutermans
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
Hi PC!

I recently started this project for Unreal Tournament and I'd love to get your feedback as I'm more into the design/art process now. I wanted to create some functional game art, and Unreal Tournament mapping was basically the reason I got into the games industry so I figured I owed them one. I'll be posting WIP versions of the map for download & playtesting in UT.

I've also been livestreaming this map's progress @ http://twitch.tv/khazual

Project Goals:

-Design
  • Keep it small. I'd like to finish this map in a couple months.
  • Fast paced, easy to buff yourself using armor/shield and vials.
  • A good balance between open and closed areas, I'd like the map to be both indoor and outdoors.
  • Have lots of Z-Axis combat.
- Art
  • Go through all the phases of design for a map: conceptualizing the environment.
  • Blockout.
  • Art asset production.
  • Learning to properly use the paint tools, the use of masks and tiling textures and materials to create efficient StaticMeshes.

The theme for this map is gonna be an abandoned Skaarj Stronghold set in a Jungle Environment. I can't find any references of the Skaarj' homeworld so I got a lot of freedom there. 

- Livestreaming
Livestreaming on twitch for open development. Also to keep me motivated and makes sure I don't alt tab to cats fighting with lightsabers on youtube.

Inspiration/ Reference:
From Halo and Destiny:

First floorplan:

Blockout:

Thanks for taking a look, hope you enjoy the map!

Khazual.

Replies