Home News

Source Engine and Dog Fights, together at last.

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18

So it's mid week, wishing it was Friday already. But to make things a little easier we have some lip smacking goodness for you.

• Polycount newcomer drops a one-stop-shop 3DS Max exporter for the Source Engine
  • Paths of Hate Trailer (OOHH PRETTY!)

More after the jump.

It seems to be common knowledge that getting your models into the Source Engine can be somewhat of a trying task. How would you like a tool that will help smoothen that process some more?

Polycount newcomer shawnolson stormed into Technical Talk and dropped down Worm Wall Model Tools for 3D Studio Max, focusing on exporting meshes for the Source Engine with a bunch of automated features too:

• Automatically generates a QC text file for your model
  • Allows you to pick your own custom collision model if you don't want to use the auto-generated model (see planned features)
  • Auto-generate LOD models of your model
  • Gives you a visual representation inside Max of the limits (range) tied to each LOD model which is especially helpful if you are also building your level design inside of Max (with Convexity)
  • Visually set the $illumposition position
  • Assign a surface property to your model from inside the Max interface
  • Set various model flags including $staticprop, $opaque and $mostlyopaque
  • Automatically makes layers in the layer manager for the model, hull, LODs and helpers
  • You can select LOD objects in layer manager and tweak their Multi-Res settings or edit the LODs to your liking after they are created

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57I5TbCDCyY

Have a play and provide Shawn with some feedback, as it's always a pleasure seeing these kinds of tools pop up that help us artists to showcase our artwork without much fuss.

Now that the technical stuff is out of the way. Check out the trailer for Paths of Hate by Damian Nenow! This short is so well executed and filled with style that oozes awesomeness from the first to the very last second.

I was impressed with just a single minutes worth of footage that I can't wait to see the final thing!

Related Links

Replies