Home General Discussion

The "Perfetct" curriculum vitae?

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
wirrexx ngon master
Hey guys, I just heard that one of the companies that i really like are out for artist, and i want to write "The" curriculum vitae for them so they atleast give me a shot or an art test to do.

How would one write a good curriculum vitae that appeals to a studio in a way that is correct?

My strenghts are to work in a team environment and i'm not affraid of testing new software, hardware or even for taking critics, as long as it pushes me forward.

The studio i'm interested in makes a lot of point and click adventure but they do it with passion, gorgeous artstyle and have a high fun factor. =)

Any tips?

Replies

• Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    Hey man , i dont think that there is the "perfect cv". If you are aiming for an art job you have to have an up to par art folio to even have a chance . Without further add post your folio and get it reviewed , then you can worry about the cv ;)

Studios usually ( there can be exceptions i guess ) pass around folios if its for an art position , not cvs.
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    Thank you Joao, a huge fan of your character arts! =)
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    First step would be to check for spelling errors, like in the thread title :D
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    in my experience, when going through applications, it pretty much goes like this :

- look at portfolio
    - like portfolio? Quickly check cv
    - check for experience in the preferred main 3d packages (usually max/maya)
    - check location, note any potential issues for relocation, visas etc *
    - check if currently employed or available immediately *
    - cursory check of work experience - usually out of curiosity. Most of this will be forgotten almost immediately, and the bits that are remembered will doubtless be confused with at least 5 other candidates.

thats it. All spraff, personal statements, and the fact you like MMA and are learning japanese, are ignored entirely.

* = if it comes through HR or a recruiter, this is something they should flag on their cover mail, but they don't always.

CVs are mostly something to have in front of you at interview stage, where your experience will be talked about, so it can be a useful lead for the interviewer to ask questions, as well as being a piece of paper to scribble things on.

also remember that if you go through a recruiter, any careful presentation of your CV is likely to be lost as they put it through their generic CV mincer. Some people get annoyed by this, but in truth it barely matters

Portfolio portfolio portfolio
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    The persons reviewing your CV are humans too, so they all operate a little differently and look out for different things,
    so there is no perfect CV everyone will enjoy equally
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    @snefer : Indeed that's a good first step! :D:D:D
    @Danr: That sounds legit!
    @Shrike: Indeed we are all! and i'll just jump into the ocean and hope that they can take me in as a Jr and pherhaps learn more! =)