Home Unreal Engine

How do you create a lightmap for a Vase?

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
EliasWick polycounter lvl 9
Hello I've been having a bunch of trouble to create a lightmap for 2 vases, The result ends up looking horrible no matter of how I do it! Here are a whole bunch of images?

Follow to link to see all the images: http://imgur.com/a/KTl2Y

Here is a preview of the problem.L99VyC3.jpg

Replies

• JedTheKrampus
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    Your lightmap UVs have too many splits in them which reduces the amount of space that's useful for texels because you have so much padding. You'd probably get a better result by letting UE4 autogenerate the lightmap UVs from the first UV set so that there's only one seam along the side of the vase.

Probably the ideal layout for vases like this would put the main vase seam towards the space between the vases and towards the wall so they're concealed. Probably you would need to have a few more splits on the twigs to be able to get a good pack. The way I do lightmap UVs is by autopacking my texture UVs in IPackThat and then pinning the border UVs back in Blender, turning on auto unwrap and UV sculpting, and nudging the UV borders to take up the maximum amount of space in the lightmap.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Super quick, but...

8dRfAhd.png

You want the least amount of islands possible. You can scale up small details that need more lighting information like the branches (on the right in my example).

Obviously clean up the UVs and packing more than what I've shown, I did it in 10 minutes.

If you're still having issues, could you post the obj and I'll throw it in UE4.
  • EliasWick
    Offline / Send Message
    EliasWick polycounter lvl 9
    Wow thank you so much! Yes I am still having some trouble with the model. I did a great Unwrap on it and it turned out better. but now there is a horrible line when I bake the lighting in Unreal Engine 4. The line is placed exactly where the seam ends. Still looking into it!

By the way! Thank you so much for taking your time to actually help me out! Did you really just model, a model that looks like mine just to demonstrate? Wow!