Home Technical Talk

Tilable Trims and Modular Pieces - abit lost.

Dave Jr
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
Hi,

I'm currently creating an interior scene using UE4 and modular parts. The issue im having is that my modular parts are architraves and skirting boards, of which all go around corners.

I have made these assets sliced at a 45 degree angle to allow functionality and joins but have a few queries should I want to make high polys and bake them to a trim sheet that they can all be baked onto. I could theoretically just chuck them in as they are as seperately mapped objects or even just keep the edges on the UVS as they are but wanted to ensure I am doing the right working practice for folio puposes later on.

Also I wanted to enquire - are open faces like this ok? Seeing as you'll never see inbetween two I didnt think the edges being capped would be a necessity.
lnhmLHt.jpg

I hope this makes sense.

Cheers

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Open faces are preferable for any pieces that loop; as you say, nobody will see them.

I'd UV map all of them as in your top example. The texture should be tiling horizontally. You only need to work at tiling #2 as well as how it joins with #1 and #3. The 90deg corners would be made of separate pieces of wood, so there's no need for a perfect texture join there.

Also, with a tiling texture, there's no need to constrain your UV shell to 0-1 space.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, just make the high-res model go beyond the edges on U, so it makes a tiled texture when baked. Then your pieces can be UV'd to tile.

Also you don't need so many round edges for a trim piece, unless your player is a mouse.
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Afternoon!

Sorry for the delay in response to this thread. Firstly I'd like to say thanks to both throttle and Eric for answering my question.

In regard to just upscaling on U for Uvs, is it a case of scaling up until it just exits the 1-0 space on the none-straight edges? Meaning this would still look "straight on the Trim sheet, whilst still tiling?

Another question, is it normal to have so many pieces? usually When I trim sets etc its just flat planar objects rather then corners; here I have created corner pieces, is that standard? How do other artists tackle this? whilst still making it "modular"?

Cheers

Dave
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just map each trim piece Planar, and uniform scale it to fit vertically within that section of my atlas.

It doesn't matter if the trim UVs go outside the UV square, I want the pixels to be square on the model.

Sometimes planar UV isn't good enough, so a Relax is needed, or a Pelt. If so I make sure to keep the piece rectilinear on V, so it still maps properly to the trim map.

About having so many pieces... it all depends on the re-use needs. The less objects the better, in general, for performance reasons. Also for ease-of-use by level designers. So if I can make a whole wall piece with top/bottom trims attached to the wall, that's better.

It's also better if the whole wall can use one material, to reduce draw calls and improve batching. I'm doing a lot of this right now for a mobile project.
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great,

Thank you very much for the explanation - it sure has been helpful and cleared a few doubts up!