Home Technical Talk

What's the distance between the corners of your eye?

JedTheKrampus
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
I'm doing some studies of the human eye anatomy and I want to get the right proportions between the size of the eyeball and the size of the orbit. Some simple Googling showed that the eyeballs of healthy humans have a diameter of 24.5 mm. I however couldn't find any sort of average distance between the corners of the eyelid aka the medial and lateral canthus. Does anyone have a figure for this measurement or would you be willing to CAREFULLY measure this distance with a ruler? (I recommend winking one eye closed and using the other eye to read the distance in a mirror so you avoid poking your eye out.)

On my eye I got a measurement of 35 mm between the medial and lateral canthus but I'd like to have some confirmation from my other fellow humans that this is indeed the correct measurement.

Replies

• Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    30-35mm sounds about right. Probably 30 seen from the front. But corner to corner isn't parallel to forward direction so, 35mm sounds right "as the crow flies".

I think the average distance between the centres of the eyeballs is ~7cm, and there's around an eye's width between the eyes. So that sounds like it fits.

FWIW, I just measured mine and yeah, ~33mm.