The order 1886 environment inspired art

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
ESFGames polycounter lvl 3
Edit:
for the final project you can find the final images here: 
http://polycount.com/discussion/161060/london-alley-1800s#latest

Hello everyone.

I have been working on a the order 1886 inspired environment for a while.
and i think i'm ready to ask you guys for feedback.

So before i show the pictures i want to explain my plan.
So right now i did most of the basic modeling (still need to make some props)
some textures are still placeholders and a lot needs to be improved.
This is my first time using unreal engine 4, since i normally use cryengine so i am still a bit of a newbie so if you know some features i have to try or do then please let me know.
For this project i try not to look too much at the game itself so that i do not copy stuff too much. instead i am looking more at the reference. and some inspiration from the art dumps on polycount.

right now my plan if to set up the lighting almost as completed so that after that i can just take my time to improve my textures and to do some more modeling,particles,decals etc.

so if you have any feedback then please let me know. (especially on the lighting).
I have alot more plans for this environment to improve the look and feel of the buildings etc. but for now i would like to focus on the lighting more.

also the reference ecerything feels very blue but when i tryed to give the level a blue mood it did not really look good, any ideas?

this is what i got so far:

Reference:
rkAa0N3jpg

Pics:
NvzJBrMjpg
ITmrhXPjpg
opylq5Vjpg
IqLPSr1jpg
eAbzVPKjpg

Replies

• Jaston3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaston3D polycounter lvl 2
    your lighting at the moment is pretty dull. where is your light source currently? there are almost no shadows causing your piece to loose any dynamic potential. When lighting an exterior I like to use a directional light for my main light source and then a skylight to control my shadows. try playing around with those two lights! :D
  • Jack M.
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. polycounter lvl 4
    If you haven't already activate mesh distance field ambient occlusion. It's a lifesaver for an environment like this.

The next thing I would do is crush the highlights and make sure they're blown out a little. In the reference the highlights are pretty blown out and so are the reflections in the water.

In your current image the color palette is a little neutral. I would push the blues a lot like the reference is doing and add a primary color piece as a focal point (in the reference it's a fire).

Another thing to note is that the reference has something of a gradient of dark to light leading into the sky. That in my opinion at least is somewhat symbolic of the times and would be important to include in your piece somehow.
  • ESFGames
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Jaston3D. thanks for the tip! yea in the reference there is not alot of light or shadow so i think what i'm going to do is to find some better lighting ref, i already tryed to replicated the concept lighting but it feels like it does not really work.

Hey Jack M. i did not try distance ao, i did see it but i will look into it, thanks!
  • leleuxart
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 5
    How did you try incorporating the blue tint? Through lighting or post-process? For the lighting, stick with a neutral color like near white. You can play around with the Kelvin color temperatures for overcast lighting, which is around 6500K to 7500k. The lower number will give you almost white, but closer to the warm hues, while the higher numbers will lean more towards the colder hues. I'd light it properly as a neutral, overcast scene and adjust the tonemapper and sky material to blow out the sky a little, then tweak the colors with the post-process settings. RAD used post-process adjustments pretty heavily to create a different mood during different times of the day.

As far as the modeling goes, it looks like you got the vibe down for the structures. Don't be afraid to grunge it up with vertex blending or decals. Use decals to ground the buildings with the build up of mud and trash along the road.

Keep it up though! Subbing because this is looking great so far :)
  • ESFGames
    Offline / Send Message
    Redone the lighting. just wanted a clean start.
    I think i am going to spend more time now on materials since they look a bit dull now.
    any feedback?

t3thyTF.jpg
    uO3ttNx.jpg
    AtQhJ17.jpg
  • ESFGames
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys. i worked alot more on the scene and i am back to lighting.
    if you have any feedback about anything (especially lighting) that would be kindly appriciated.

• xChris
    Offline / Send Message
    xChris polycounter lvl 3
    This is looking awesome, fyi Ready at dawn has some awesome presentations up about their process/pipeline, may help with how you think moving forward with finishing this piece! http://www.readyatdawn.com/presentations/

• ESFGames
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey. yea i read all of those but most of it is engine spesific. but i will look at it again. there material creation is so cool!
  • Cay
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 3
    I had this piece as a wallpaper for a long time and I think you are off to a decent start!

I think part of what makes the concept look so good is this gradient the lighting has. The buildings are all very well lit at the top where they hit the sky and then it gets gradually darker. Did you try using a skylight?
    Also I wouldn't ditch the overcast bright white sky, it should be bright enough to get some of those nice reflections going.
    I also noticed that you pretty much leveled out the top of all your buildings. The concept has some variation, which makes it more interesting.
    Just some ideas, keep at it!
  • ESFGames
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey CAY.

thanks for your tips. yea lighting has been a bit difficult so far since its my first time in unreal and its overcast which i have not done alot. but i will look at the gradient effect. and yes i am using a skylight.

also the buildings have different height levels just like in the reference. maybe its the angle that makes that look less. if i would look from the top its very clear.
  • ESFGames
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys.
    I worked a bit more on the scene. improved some textures. added more particles and decals. and i started working more on the lighting. added some more lightsources and improved the color grading + overal settings improvements. i'm now starting to get a hard time with the lighting so any feedback would be great!

• theonewhoknocks
    Offline / Send Message
    theonewhoknocks polycounter lvl 4
    Looking great so far. Love the improvements. I would give some attention to the Windows when you can and have some of them lit from the inside. Maybe a yellow/orangish emissive/albedo light coming from some of the rooms to bring more contrast to the scene. I know it's not in the concept but I think it would be a nice touch. The small fires here and there also help with that, its making the scene look more lively. Keep it up!
  • ESFGames
    Offline / Send Message
    hey everyone. i would like to wrap up this project this week. this is what i got so far. any last feedback?

• rogelio
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    Sup,
    Since you ask for critique on Facebook I wanted to come here and post what I did on one shot.
    In general I think you have all the elements you need to make a really nice scene you just have to put it into a well composed scene.  I picked one shot from what you posted and did some general tweaks in photoshop.

Breaking tangents- I moved some buildings up or down to break the tangents having buildings of the same height might be realistic but leaves for a very flat composition.

Floor warping-  I tried to express the floor having a more or less warped look due to the cobble in the mesh you would just add more verts and give it some depth so the water can trickle down to the middle etc. Also added some quick dirt tracks to show either pull cars being take from place to place.

Building edge warping- I went in and warped some the straight lines in the scene.

Atmosphere- added atmosphere with fog or smoke near the ground level.

Set dressing- banners, power lines, and lamps placed to add an extra touch.

Background wide- added a building in the far distance being almost occluded by fog.

Color grading and lighting- tweaked with the lighting colors and also tried to give interest where it is needed and darkening other areas of less interest.   I also use the ref from the order to color grade closer to that with a bluish greenish tone. 

Reflections / roughness - made sure to add more a reflection where still water would show it.  Exaggerating the values in roughness can help.

• JamesBrady
    Looks good so far dude! :). The only thing I can say is to perhaps add atmospheric fog at some stage to give it that 'the order' vibe!.. Perhaps do a few versions of the barrel models, perhaps also add some decals around the place ie: newpaper sheets and so forth! Good start :) Kudos!
  • JamesBrady
    also more moss through the cobble stone! il go now :smiley: 
  • ESFGames
    Offline / Send Message
    Will do i'm almost done with alot of feedback so i will post it soon :0 i'm hoping to finish this project up this week
  • ESFGames
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys.
    i'm about to wrap up this project, any final feedback?

• Jack M.
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. polycounter lvl 4
    Looking pretty pretty good. I would say at least tone back the oranges and bring in some musky greens like in Rogelio's crit. I would just use an LUT and match it up in photoshop to get the desired effect there. 

Personally what those greens are doing for me is making the whole environment feel a lot more sickly and reminiscent of the plague. In my opinion that's a pretty important feeling given the overall setting, living conditions, and sanitation during the time period.

I would also consider adding a few more changes based on Rogelio's crits (I do really like that clothes line in the background). 

Beyond that you've got a really solid environment here.
  • ESFGames