Home General Discussion

Laptop Optimization Thread

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
stickadtroja polycounter lvl 11
i recently bought a new laptop, mainly for working, and went with 32 gb ram, going from 4 gb in my old one. the difference have been quite underwelming though.
sure i can obouisly play games that i coulnt before, but working hasnt feelt that much different. mainly photoshop is almost the same. my workflow when texturing is to keep all the maps in the same psd, for easy transfering of layers back and forth. i get lagg when i have a 2048 file with say 30ish layers, which is annoying since that is almost the minimum size for character textures.

how can i have lagg with that much ram? is it becuase something else? my processor is a Intel Core i7 2,60 ghz quadcore

and also, ive tried optimizing photoshop with cache levels and removing thumbnails for layers, but with little to no difference

EDIT: changed into a more fitting name

Replies

• iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
    Thats odd, did you change the ram usage amount?

I have 16gb and i can manage 5000x5000 pixel images with 30+ layers with mostly no problems.

I have my photoshop set to use a max 8gb and i have a dedicated scratch drive.
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaptainkernals polycounter lvl 12
    You said you're on a laptop?

Does it have a nvidia graphics card? And can you confirm that photoshop is set to use that GPU on launch? It might be that it is using the intel graphics card on launch instead.
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    C6 and CC get super slow on me after using them for a few hours. CS5 runs great forever for me.

All computers I use have more then 16 GB or ram. And GTX960 is my weakest graphics card.
  • stickadtroja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i have the ram set to 70%, using my 200gb ssd as scratch disc.
    kaptainkernals : i checked that, and it turns out it was using the intel card. i changed to the nvidia card (gtx 970m), but i notice no difference.

im using CC. its slightly slower aswell when im zoomed in on a document. swithing layers on and off has 1 secound delay.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Maybe try to get your hands on a CS5.1 installer and try out the demo. Some (most ?) people seem to work just fine with CS6 or CC, but in my own experience on my specific setup these recent versions of Photoshop have always been noticeably slower than good old, rock solid CS5.

That obviously won't fix your specific issue, but maybe it will help you narrow it down ?
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Personally, I've stuck with CS6. My computer isn't nearly as good as yours, but jumping to CC for a month, I couldn't zoom without a one second delay. Besides that, lots of things felt a bit slower than CS6 (including saving), so I'd say try that, if you can.

At the same time, CC worked absolutely fine on my work computer, which had almost the exact specs of my home machine. So it's all quite a mystery to me.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    same experience here. photoshop does get slow after a while even on a well specced machine and with documents of moderate complexity. also keeps hanging on to memory long after you have closed files.

i experience the GPU acceleration as a very mixed bag, too. i turn it down to basic and disable some options or else it will eat into marmoset's resources and make for a very unpleasant experience here. fond memories of the old photoshop without all that baggage that just kept trucking along in the background. far less crashes, too.

pre CS6 versions are not an option to me though. can't deal with the hard coded bright interface they had in there in CS3-5 and beyond that we are talking ancient software.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    which OS?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions

for example, if you're using home basic or premium you aren't getting everything out of your RAM (8gb and 16gb respectively).
  • stickadtroja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maybe i try cs5 then

its annoying cuz its basically limits me to work with 1024 textures. doesnt feel very next gen
  • Segreto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Segreto polycount sponsor
    Besides checking to make sure you're running a 64-bit version of Windows, and a 64-bit version of photoshop, here are my settings that I use and some notes on them.

If9paBX.jpg
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This could also be due to the interface of the OS being heavily hardware accelerated. In many cases this can be a great thing, but it is only logical that it could cause conflicts with software relying heavily on hardware acceleration (that is to say, pretty much every piece of software that we use for game dev)

I am not familiar with win10, but you could try looking into ways to switch it to a performance-oriented setting, similarly to the way power users disable Aero on win7 to get the most out of their machines.

Good luck.
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior wrote: »
    I am not familiar with win10, but you could try looking into ways to switch it to a performance-oriented setting, similarly to the way power users disable Aero on win7 to get the most out of their machines.

I don't think that's relevant, my performance is fine on windows 10 with default settings.

That kind of thing doesn't have an effect like it used to, not to where you'd see a major impact like you describe.
  • stickadtroja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    segreto: thanks a lot, very ambitios help, but my settings are very similuar already.

the lagg is almost only occuring when im zoomed in. then is 1-2 seconds delay if i turn on and off the visiblilty of a layer. if i zoom out there is no lagg. anybody knows why?
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Iada : true enough, but the fact that such things do not affect some users/machines does not mean that it doesn't affect others :) With multiple processes straining the GPU, it is only logical to attempt to minimize load as much possible . This is precisely why a power-hungry application like OBS has a tickbox for "disable Aero", even today. And of course, "fine" is both relative and subjective - I've seen artists being fine with CS6 on release even though it was obvious that the brush refresh rate was halved in that release originally (at least on my work setup at that time).

The bottom line is that more often than not, our very demanding setups (Marmoset, Photoshop, and 3D software often running at the same time) are much more stressful to computers than the average daily used programs that the majority of the user base is relying on.

Stick : this definitely sounds like a graphics card/OpenGL issue. Note that it doesn't mean that your hardware is faulty - CG applications and Photoshop, just like games, most likely ship with a lot a errors and exceptions that then need to be fixed through driver updates (ironically enough).

Also, I don't think you mentioned whether or not you tried disabling the OpenGl options in Photoshop altogether. This could help you narrow down the issue. Not that I would recommend keeping these off (they allow for smooth scrub-zooming and canvas rotation, which are pretty damn useful) ; but that might be valuable for the sake of debugging your issue.
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    segreto: thanks a lot, very ambitios help, but my settings are very similuar already.

the lagg is almost only occuring when im zoomed in. then is 1-2 seconds delay if i turn on and off the visiblilty of a layer. if i zoom out there is no lagg. anybody knows why?

Isn't zooming when the scratch disk is commonly loaded? Is the scratch disk on the same drive as photoshop? Maybe that's bad, trying setting it to a flash drive?

Do you use chrome? Maybe ad ware is running? Try adw cleaner...

https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewdownload/1-adwcleaner/

Maybe just try backup up your settings in CC (edit>myemail@email.com>upload) and reinstalling?
    pior wrote: »
    Iada : true enough, but the fact that such things do not affect some users/machines does not mean that it doesn't affect others :) With multiple processes straining the GPU, it is only logical to attempt to minimize load as much possible . This is precisely why a power-hungry application like OBS has a tickbox for "disable Aero", even today. And of course, "fine" is both relative and subjective - I've seen artists being fine with CS6 on release even though it was obvious that the brush refresh rate was halved in that release originally (at least on my work setup at that time).

I'm just saying doing that is something you might do to squeeze a bit more performance. It's not something you do to solve performance problems like he has.
  • Alfie Thompson
    i have the same problem with my laptop
  • stickadtroja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    didnt notice any difference with or without openGL, nor changing the scratch disk.

kind of related; is my processor (Intel Core i7 2,60 ghz quadcore) to slow for high polycounts in zbrush? i cant go past 8 million polys without noticable lagg. i dont think the ram is the problem, 32 gb, and i read zbrush doesnt use the graphics card
  • Har
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Har polycounter lvl 3
    I'm also on windows 10, on a laptop with an older gtx 680M and have no issues at all.
    But the windows 10 release nvidia drivers were crap, maybe you can update these?

It really sounds like your gpu is in some power saver mode or your system is using your intel gpu, in the nvidia configuration screen you can configure that and its power state (I'm using the adaptive power mode, but you can try optimal performance).

plJFIsR.jpg

These newer modern gpu's and cpu's tend to be very adaptive with their clockspeeds and when not in a 3d program they go to like 135mhz or switch to the intel gpu, which can cause annoying delays or lag.

Your machine should fly with loads of fps and a very smooth work experience for just Photoshop with that setup though..
  • stickadtroja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    har thanks for the tip. the nvidia drivers have been a issue, conflicting with the intel drivers and causing BSOD, so yeah they might be a cause.

heres somre progress though; i installed the photoshop cs5 and it runs a lot faster! very responsive and maybe 0.2 second delay when i switch the layers on and of, compared to the 1-2 second i had in CC. zooming and panning also feels a lot more responsive so i guess this is what im using from now on. only feature i will miss is using blending options on folders, but there is workarounds i guess.
    happy with the outcome though, 4096 face textures here i come!
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well that's good to hear - although admittedly 0.2 seconds is still very long for something that should be instantaneous. But we're making progress :)

As for blending options on folders, you could indeed work around this limitation by using smart objects (which can be created from a selection of multiple layers) instead of folders for these specific situations.

Regarding BSODs : if you can reproduce it consistently, I'd say simply bring your machine to a repair shop and ask them to fix it. Doing things on our own can be tempting, but sometimes shelling out a few bucks for a pro to look at the issue can save you a lot of headaches.
  • stickadtroja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the BSOD was a issue between intel and nvidia drivers, which i think they have fixed in the latest. it doesnt happen since i got new drivers at least.

the delay in CS5 is almost not noticable. it only occurs at zoom level greater than 100% and it looks like it enable the layer in "chunks" you can see a square part of the pixels getting updated first, then the others follow. the first part changes immediatly, so maybe its lagg related at all. maybe its related to cache levels and tiles or something? i basically have the same settings as segreto

anyway to anyone having the same problem as me i recommend using CS 5 instead.

i kind of want to make this thread into a general purpose optimization thread, having some problems with zbrush as i wrote above aswell.
    if there already is one, feel free to link. if not i think we should have one, working with as little lagg as possible is vital to me, and just some small lagg can completely change your flow of painting and sculpting
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaptainkernals polycounter lvl 12
    What make and model of laptop are you running if I may ask, there is often a bit of "power saving" bloatware that they install.

I know that my laptop Asus 550JK comes with power management bloatware, that basically throttles the CPU, have to press FN + space to bring up the changer...

edit:

The changer lets me choose performance, or battery saver mode.

Performance basically unlocks my the CPU to run at it's full power, and to not undervolt the GPU.
  • knacki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    knacki polycounter lvl 11
    On my mobile workstation, a Lenovo w520 with 16 GB and Quadro 2000 I unchecked almost every power saving functions, plus disable this Intel....what was it's name....Intel Optimus Harharhar ..... Optimus!
    Well, what is fine for Excel and Firefox is maybe a little bit....useless for us.
    Good luck, may you find something more to tweak product, which is simply not decent programmed.

It is a shame, isn't it?
    How old is CS5? How much have I paid to get my CS suite to CC2015, and what do I do?
    When it comes to heavy computing stuff I jump back to CS5. Same with After Effects.
    In PS it becomes very obvious if you take same document (A4 international paper) and use the mixer brush.
    It is almost useless in CC2015 if you use a brush diameter of 1000. In CS5.1 it is working almost fluid.

It's a shame. Adobe should be able to do miracles with all the money & men power.
    They do not. Kind of reverse programming.
    My workstation is an Win7 Ultimate, 3930k i7@4Ghz, 64GB Ram, SSD Samsung, GTX Titan 6 GB and I am working with Adobe almost as fast as on old computer (2,6GHZ Xeon, Quadro 4000, 2GB) with old Adobe products.

They are burning my money twice.
    Sorry for drama - but it's pretty annoying.
  • stickadtroja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bumbing this thread, with a better name and new questions.

btw, i have fixed all the power saving options i could find to "max performance". doesnt notice any difference.

how big ztools can you have without noticable lag? my limit is somwhere around 8 mi, and at 20 it becamos unworkable.
    i thought zbrush should be able to handle crazy amounts, but im pretty much stuck on 8 mi. i mean, im pretty sure i can work around that, but i dont understand how anybody could make skin pores and details like that, having the lag im getting.
    basically as i written before, the overall lag in programs like photoshop and zbrush stops me from making "next gen" art. and if this is not a problem with my laptop, if everyone experience this, i dont understand how anybody could texture in photoshop above 2048, or work on a ztool with more than 8 mil. my specs above, is what i consider a high end laptop.
    so if anybody wants to share how big textures resolutions or polycounts they can have in these softwares without noticable lag, i would be grateful, it would give me some frame of reference.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I tend to turn subtools on and off or use masks when I get over 8million triangles in my ztool. I thought my beefy desktop pc would handle more but I just work around it at the moment. Id be interested in finding out if there is a way to get more tools on screen but keep performance constant.