Home General Discussion

Replace fan on GTX 970

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
McGreed polycounter lvl 15
So a week ago I had a 'little' accident (my SSD caught on fire), and my Asus GTX 970 got damaged in process by the fire. One of the fans have one of the (wings? fan?) damaged by the heat and is now bent, and I want to get it replaced. I believe that it's only the fan that has been damaged, as the end is mainly heatsink.

Unfortunately this isn't covered by warranty and Asus isn't not being easy at getting anything sent to repair, so I was thinking I would try and get the fan replaced myself, since I'm gonna pay for it all anyway.

So my question for you guys are this, have any of you ever tried to replace a fan on a graphic card and do you know a place where you can search and find the correct type of fan (and not generic one) to buy?

My little baby's broken wing: :(

gtx970_broken_fan_zpsihfvhpv9.jpg

Replies

• Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    I would personally just find a similar sized fan and cut that portion of the heat sync off and then mount the new fan on and plug it into a 3pin. Sounds like a ghetto-rigged fix, but at this point sounds like the easiest and quickest solution. Having one fan down will make a huge difference in temps and I would refrain from using the card at more than 30-ish% load (highest usual web surfing and email operating loads) until you have some form of replacement.

Also would make sure that there is no damage to the card as it looks like there is a little bit of scoring on the PCB from the fire near that visible screw head in the pic. Im sorry to hear your SSD caught fire, first ive ever heard of that! lol
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, from what I can see, I should be able to unscrew the fan from the heatsink, but the problem is getting a replacement, been looking online and I only really found fans for older GTX models. Trying Ebay at the moment.

The fire only hit the metal parts and the fan from what I can see, there is no visible damage anywhere else.

And yeah, I never experienced a fire in a computer in my 25 years of having one. And especially a new SSD, what the heck. At least they are replacing that one.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Were you using a molex to sata adapter for the SSD? Those seem to be the main culprit for fires like this.

I second suggestion of adding a similar sized case fan and some zip ties. You could also try contacting Asus, checking eBay for dead cards with the same fans, or posting on communities like PC Master race on reddit and see if anyone can help you out, or if anyone water cooled their strix cards and don't need the fans.
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Didnt think of that, but you definitely will be able to find a fried 970 on Ebay or Overclock.net or something similar and be able to pull the heatsink set off of it. Thatd be a plug and play solution, at a pretty cheap cost.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh I havent thought about someone might have replaced theirs with watercooling, so they might have some leftovers. Will see if I can find something there, thanks. Would prefer to get a matching replacement then something that doesn't fit properly, to avoid too many issues as it is.
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    Are SSD fires something that I should worry about? I just ordered one for my new pc... eeeek
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick, maybe not, I forgot to reply on ZacD's comment, that yeah it was a molex to sata adapter it was plugged into. I never had any problems with this before, but I guess there is a first for everything. I'm still waiting for reply from Samsung about what went wrong, will see what they say.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Yeah, I'm not surprised there was a molex to sata adapter involved. There needs to be a public service announcement about not using them.

Deathstick: Just don't use a molex to sata adapter and you'll be fine.
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    ZacD wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm not surprised there was a molex to sata adapter involved. There needs to be a public service announcement about not using them.

Deathstick: Just don't use a molex to sata adapter and you'll be fine.

This. This. This. Molex in general just needs to go away, literally from the 50's.
  • mitchmccollum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mitchmccollum polycounter lvl 3
    If I remember correctly you should be able to detach the assembly from the shroud when you take it off I believe there is some screws that hold it in. You should be able to buy a new one from ebay.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/new-2pcs-75mm-fans-for-video-card-ASUS-STRIX-GTX960-GTX950-GTX750Ti-39-5mm/252119942563

It doesn't say 970, but looks like the same fan to me. I searched "Strix fan" turns out they're 75mm.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'd make sure that all models use the same fans before ordering those, wouldn't be surprised if the more power hungry gpus had bigger fans.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow, yeah I saw another one sold by that guy, which did mention GTX 970, however the delivery time can be over a month, for some reason.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you're in the UK, I've still got the shroud/fan/etc of my Asus GTX 970 ([ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00NFFAW50?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s02]this one, specifically[/ame] - I put a waterblock on mine). They come off pretty easy, just a ton of little screws.

I could mail it to you if you want to pay for postage?
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Farfarer
    Oh! That would be awesome, I would pay for the fans if you like, would save me a lot of grief knowing that I get the right ones!
    I'll send you are PM with my details.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    ZacD wrote: »
    I'd make sure that all models use the same fans before ordering those, wouldn't be surprised if the more power hungry gpus had bigger fans.
    While the actual heatsink might be different between models, the fans are the same.
    McGreed wrote: »
    m4dcow, yeah I saw another one sold by that guy, which did mention GTX 970, however the delivery time can be over a month, for some reason.

It ships from China which I'm guessing is why, but hopefully Farfarer has you set.