Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Server Lab

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
Hey guys, first time taking environment to completion in Unreal 4. Any feedback as always is awesome and welcome for me to improve. I was not going for an exact match more my feel of it

Concept by Oscar Cafaro concept artist @ Ubisoft Toronto, and thanks to Beefaroni for linking me to the concept which motivated me this far.

oscar-cafaro-zombot-studios-server-room-level-03jpg1430490254

Replies

• beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Looking pretty nice so far.

Don't have time to write out a huge crit right now but really push the highlights and the shadows in the piece.

Put a black and white filter on both yours and the original concept. I think you'll find that the concept has a lot of dark blacks in the corners as well as some focused highlights to draw the eye around the piece.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni wrote: »
    Looking pretty nice so far.

Don't have time to write out a huge crit right now but really push the highlights and the shadows in the piece.

Put a black and white filter on both yours and the original concept. I think you'll find that the concept has a lot of dark blacks in the corners as well as some focused highlights to draw the eye around the piece.

Great idea, will do that and have a look at the lighting . Thanks !
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trying to work on atmosphere and lighting like beefaroni suggested having a hard time with contrasted lighting like the concept. I have spot lights pointing down right now from each light but still cannot seem to get it right. They are just static lights

Anyone have any ideas on how to achieve it
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Alright, here are a few more quick observations.

1. The color tone of the original piece is very cold and desaturated. Right now in yours, there seems to be this green tinge in the atmosphere. I'd probably remove that.

2. Really try and pay attention to the small details in the concept. Look at the globes in your piece. What's different from the concept and yours? Right now, your globes are very opaque and the planets are white. Look at the concept. The globes are very transparent, do not glow nearly as much, and the planets are a cool darker blue.

3. Going off of that, why did you decide to add the emissive rings around the globe holders? I think they can work; however, look how much the emissive is blown out right now. It steals the attention away from the globes and the subtly of the piece.

4. I don't have time to search right now but the ground material feels way off. Try to look at some industrial warehouses and decide on a floor material. Base your material off of something in real life instead of trying to approximate what the concept is doing for now.

5. Really pay attention to the lighting int he upper area of the scene. Look at the ceiling area. There are those nice subtle lights everywhere on the ceiling to light the area. You only have the spot lights in the ring. You're missing the two rows of lighting outside of that.

6. The center beams in the concept are thicker and add a lot more noise than what you currently have. Right now, your center beams are pretty flat with no depth. Look at the concept again, as your eye rings around the circle, it goes into that depth, pauses, looks up and down,a nd then goes around. With those beams being so flat, the eye doesn't look at them for too long before moving on.

Overall, I think there are a lot of little things that can be improved with the piece. Your blockout is great and everything is where it should be; however, each piece really needs some more love. As you continue forward, swap back and forth between your piece and the concept. Really look at waht the concept is doing that you're currently missing.

I hope my rambling helps
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great feedback beef, my work just got substance designer and painter so im going to take the time to "reboot" and redo everything especially textures. Thanks
  • LaurentiuN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN interpolator
    The concept is really nice, like beef saied, materials need some work and dont forget to add some decals like in the concept....numbers and letters and some light rays for the top lights.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s1dK wrote: »
    The concept is really nice, like beef saied, materials need some work and dont forget to add some decals like in the concept....numbers and letters and some light rays for the top lights.

I agree , i'm going to scrap the texture and try in substance designer and really spend more time with each material. It has always been a weak point for me that I need to nail.

I think once I finish 1 asset ill post it for review before slapping it all together. Also going to add more things like the cables on main floor, secondary lights on rear wall and more fine detail
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated, attempted redoing most of the materials, still need to do decals and few other things