Home Technical Talk

3Ds Max horrible packing compared to other packages

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Spoon polycounter lvl 11
Hi guys,

Im wondering if I am missing something. 3ds max more often than not gives me horrible Uv packing. If I send the mesh to modo, 3d coat, ipackthat (havent tried maya) those packages gives MUCH better and tighter packing.

Am I missing some secret technique in max to get at least better packing that what my eye can easily spot is ridiculous?

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, 3ds Max is outdated for UV packing. You can get something like PolyUnwrapper which is pretty inexpensive, does quite a bit better job (plusit has a bunch of other good UV tools).
    http://www.polytools3d.com/polyunwrapper/

But I doubt anything is going to beat IPackThat.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, iPackThat for the everlasting win. It's the only answer anymore ... for me, at least.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    I agree with the above, but remember when it comes to UV packing the best packer is you.
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    IPackThat sure looks juicy, but so does the pricetag, if I remember correctly. Polyunwrapper seems more in my budget. I used the IPackThat demo to test how well the different softwares did vs each other. Do you know how much polyunwrapper improves the basic max packing, and how it is vs coat and modo?
    Im not sure if I can install the demo at work, so I might check when I get home :)
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    polyunwrapper vs textools ?
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    polyunwrapper vs textools ?

That would be great :)
    I have already done textools vs modo vs coat, max lost big time :)
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Polyunwrapper has packing tools, but the real meat is the wide range of other tools. Couldn't live without it anymore.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ wrote: »
    I agree with the above, but remember when it comes to UV packing the best packer is you.

Strongly disagree. You might be able to do as well as iPackThat but you won't do it in any sort of time efficient way.

What iPackThat does in 5 minutes will take you hours and hours.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh!cptSwing

Yes i strongly agree, Polyunwrapper has packing and also offers fairly advantageous additional tools. Your input is a great addition to this thread. Interconnecting minds think alike i would assume. You must be wise man.
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Polyunwrapper's packing tools are fantastic improvements to the default Max Unwrap UVW tools - especially the built-in pixel padding for the shells that you can set up to 32 pixels IIRC. Even that alone is worth the price of the script.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey! Synaesthesia

I think i've meet you via this forum not too long ago. Your knowledge, experience and practical understanding of modeling programs is always desirable and sought after.

Hats off
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Hey peanut(trademarked, of course! :) )

I appreciate the compliments! I have to admit that I have not yet tried IPackThat, but it's been on my list of things to play with. This thread is making me want to go give it a shot when I get home!
  • poopstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopstick polycounter lvl 3
    Sorry to jump in, but looking at these packing plugins, they all seem to do a great job of making your UV's a complete minefield of indistinguishable geometry. Why would anyone want to pack little bits so tightly everywhere? When they can just lay it out themselves in a logical way.
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    I tried downloading the polyunwrapper demo, but it seems the packing functionality is unavailable in the demo ( ??? )

@poopstick, if you are painting in 3D, you might prefer texel density over logical layout.
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
    poopstick wrote: »
    Sorry to jump in, but looking at these packing plugins, they all seem to do a great job of making your UV's a complete minefield of indistinguishable geometry. Why would anyone want to pack little bits so tightly everywhere? When they can just lay it out themselves in a logical way.

for me a layout matters only if I texture something manually in Photoshop which is a very rare occurence. Most times it's color mask + something procedural like Painter/Designer/Quixel. The only thing that matters is UV orientation and you can control that with iPackThat. Also you can group by material and preset groups in iPack if that's your thing.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A big part of my packing workflow is making good UVs for lightmapping. So the arrangement doesn't matter at all, just that everything's the same resolution, and everything has nice borders.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopstick wrote: »

Because every pixel unused on a texture map is a pixel that isn't helping your art look it's best.
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Basically what WarrenM said, especially when 3D painting is thrown in. Logical UVs are still good if you need straight lines that aren't jagged from a tilted UV shell, but you can still get that and pack your UVs tightly. I use the auto-packing bundled with Polyunwrapper for smaller pieces of my models and always give them extra resolution. It's useful for bringing out the details in things like headlights.
  • Deadly Nightshade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deadly Nightshade polycounter lvl 10
    The UV tools for all Autodesk products are crap, not just for Max but for Maya as well.
    I'm moving over to Max after years of using Maya (requirement by employer) and I'm not really surprised that the UV tools are so lacking. I do hate the fact that I will have to leave my own UV editor behind and handicap myself using the native crap in 3ds Max (something which will affect all UV work immensely). Hell, in Max you can't even work with UV's and do modelling in parallel without collapsing your mesh and applying new UVW modifiers all the time (which you can in Maya).

Autodesk way of "improving" the UV editor is to add a checker mode to Maya, and some UV sculpting tools that no one even use. It really makes you wonder if they even read the feedback they get.
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Since you're switching over to Max, Nightshade, I'd like to chat with you about UVs and scripts - if you're planning to learn Max scripting! :)
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The UV tools for all Autodesk products are crap

There's a secret in 3dsMax concerning UVs that isn't well known. Maybe one day i'll write a book about it.

0U4OCu4.jpg
  • Mant1k0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mant1k0re polycounter lvl 8
    Seriously guys, who in his right mind would want to unwrap UVs in Max...? You got to be seriously masochistic to do that. I'm really not the type to advocate one tool over another but once you've tried something like Headus UV Layout you can NEVER unwrap in Max again.

Now a pro artist once told me it was a requirement for his work but he never explained why. And I didn't have the heart to insist, it's so cruel to force an artist to unwrap in Max (yes, I know about Textools, NO, it still doesn't make it palatable.)
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    I actually find that it takes longer to do many models in Headus. I'd rather use it for organic surfaces. Doing UVs in Max, especially with Polyunwrapper, is significantly faster for hard surfaces than Headus is. Instancing meshes in Max make doing UVs simple for complex objects. Not so much in Headus.
  • poopstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sounds like I should probably try some plugins then haha, I've been using nothing but max' native unwrapping tools for years. Unwrapping has always been the most tedius part of the pipeline for me.
  • Mant1k0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Syn, I'm probably not understanding what you mean by instancing meshes but if you mean unwrapping similar elements fast, there's copy uv and find similar in uv layout. While the tool definitely started as specialized for organic models, it now has a set of tools for hard surface that work fine. Plus all the hotkeys, that make it, imo, an extremely fast tool for any kind of model.

Still, will check out that tool you're mentioning.
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Let's say I'm making a tank. There's a bunch of latches on this tank, so I've identified the ones I can safely instance in Max - so when I UV one latch, I UV all of them. This is why Max is my preferred UV tool, while of course using Polyunwrapper to supplement it. I'm just used to it now, so creating UVs doesn't take a long time.
  • Mant1k0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's exactly what copy UVs does in UV Layout. Unwrap one, unwrap all. Except UV Layout will also unwrap similar.
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Don't you have to specify edges? I had a couple of aircraft that I was attempting to copy the landing gear UVs on - it never functioned correctly and I gave up and went back to Max. :)

I like Headus and we use it, I just don't see it replacing Max for the work I do. But you're welcome to change my view! I'm always open to learning something new.
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Synaesthesia, do you have either some estimates or a test model or two, to check the used UV space in max packing vs unwrapper packing? We are looking into buying licenses, but the demo version doesnt let me pack, so it makes me a bit suspicious :)
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    I'll do a side-by-side comparison right now:

Max packing - 56.67% used of 2048

Polyunwrapper packing - 50.12% used of 2048

My packing, with Polyunwrapper packing small peices - 62.81% used of 2048

I prefer a mixture of hand packing and Polyunwrapper packing. It's not the best packer for large UV shells, at least not in my experience. I could get even better packing if I didn't have a specification requiring certain areas be mapped in a certain way - I'm being deliberately vague, so just take my word for it. :)
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks a lot, Syna, great to get some numbers in there :)
  • Mant1k0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't you have to specify edges? I had a couple of aircraft that I was attempting to copy the landing gear UVs on - it never functioned correctly and I gave up and went back to Max. :)

I like Headus and we use it, I just don't see it replacing Max for the work I do. But you're welcome to change my view! I'm always open to learning something new.

You have to pick one edge, yes. Take 5 seconds and then uvs will propagate to all similar sub-objects. I'm not trying to change your view, I just mean to say that UV Layout is viable for hard surface as well - that's pretty much 90% of what I do.
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    I get that it is, but it simply did not function with my model - I don't give up easily! :) I just couldn't spare the time to figure out why it wasn't copying the UVs over correctly. At that point, it was easier (and more time-efficient, especially on company time) to just work with instances in Max than it was to work around the UI of Headus to troubleshoot the landing gear.

I may open it up again and try it in the future. Thanks for the info, regardless!
  • Deadly Nightshade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deadly Nightshade polycounter lvl 10
    Headus is probably one of the better alternatives. I haven't tried it myself but it appears to have some handy tools. However, Headus is a classic example of what is known in the industry as a "programmer UI" - a UI created by someone with no insight in UX/UI. Another problem is that it's a third-party program with no direct link to either Maya or Max (at least not the last time I checked). So you have to export/import obj's which makes it troublesome to do modelling and UV-work in parallel - a practise I am very fond of. It is slightly annoying actually as it is probably possible to implement such a feature by letting the programs communicate via lets say, the Windows COM -module.
    Since you're switching over to Max, Nightshade, I'd like to chat with you about UVs and scripts - if you're planning to learn Max scripting! :)
    Already learning it right now. It will take a few weeks before I have my first tool up and running though as I'm learning it on my free time (I'm hired as a 3d Artist and not a Technical Artist unfortunatly). But if you have any ideas on what I should write, drop me a PM!
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    It's more of an issue when your coworker is within punching distance when he opens up your indistinguishable puzzle map of a texture.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    headus has a mel link to maya since years... its somewhere hidden inthe the support forum...
  • Mant1k0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's a bridge for Max and I've been using it on Max 2014, 2015 and now 2016 without any issues.

As for the UI... I thought a bit about defending this ugly piece of @#$% and then remembered people dare to defend Zbrush's and even get offended that some people could criticize it, so why the heck not?

What I like about Headus is that there's pretty much a hotkey for everything, I only occasionally click a button. They're not the most intuitive ones but if you print them to a sheet of paper and keep it next to you, you will be fluent in a couple of days and super fast.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's more of an issue when your coworker is within punching distance when he opens up your indistinguishable puzzle map of a texture.

Eh, that's why you bake an ID map. :)
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    + headus is the backbone for every UDIM packing...
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Headus is probably one of the better alternatives. I haven't tried it myself but it appears to have some handy tools. However, Headus is a classic example of what is known in the industry as a "programmer UI" - a UI created by someone with no insight in UX/UI. Another problem is that it's a third-party program with no direct link to either Maya or Max (at least not the last time I checked). So you have to export/import obj's which makes it troublesome to do modelling and UV-work in parallel - a practise I am very fond of. It is slightly annoying actually as it is probably possible to implement such a feature by letting the programs communicate via lets say, the Windows COM -module.

Already learning it right now. It will take a few weeks before I have my first tool up and running though as I'm learning it on my free time (I'm hired as a 3d Artist and not a Technical Artist unfortunatly). But if you have any ideas on what I should write, drop me a PM!

Its not hard to get at and manipulate uvs via maxscript but it appears to be a right pain in the butthole making any changes to the unwrapper ui. Ive only dabbled a bit cos I wanted some uv align buttons so there may be a good way I didnt find.

Fwiw I find max is a million times better at actually unwrapping objects than maya - its just awful for laying out the results

Out of interest, how do those espousing the use of auto packing tools deal with Lods?
  • jRocket
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jRocket polycounter lvl 18
    Maybe this is showing my age but- Am I the only one who manually lays out my UV's? It's not that hard, you can get pretty good results tailored to how you actually want your UV's layed out.
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    jR: Nope - that's exactly what I do. I just use Polyunwrapper to significantly improve my speed while using the default Max unwrap editor. There's a lot of tools it brings to Max that it should have had years ago.
  • Dethling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dethling polycounter lvl 11
    At the moment I'm UV map with Max, too (with the textools plugin).
    For me the "trck" for a quick UV Map are hotkeys (stitch, break, relax align, rotate, flip).

Also I have to agree to peanut™ : the best UV packer is you

For me the benefit of doing your UV Map yourself is, that you can keep things together, align them (to avoid jaggy edges) and you already know your UV Map (where it what etc.)

As I really "hate" UV Mapping, I looked for a lot of different solutions (including IPackThat) but most of them never came up with good results compared to the "self-packed" UVs.
    So even if it takes a little longer, I prefer the "self-UV" methode at the moment.
  • Mant1k0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I got interested in 3d late so maybe I'm missing out on something but in a world where there are so many solutions to texture directly on your mesh in 3d what is the benefit of ordering your shells in a logical way and/or "knowing where it is"? From where I stand, the ROI on placing your shells manually seems dubious at best unless you're doing all your textures in photoshop old school.I don't think anyone actually enjoy UVing so why would you pick an approach that takes longer?
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm with you. Manually packing UVs doesn't make sense in this day and age, IMO. For certain cases like hand-painted stylized games or something MAYBE ... but if you're doing mechs or weapons and using a painting app like Substance or Quixel, hand packing is tedium best avoided.

Packers have options to overcome a lot of the objections above as well.

Need to keep islands together? Make them a group.
    Need to keep edges straight on a few islands? Mark them as 'not able to rotate'.
    Need to keep an island exactly where it is and pack around it? Lock it in place.
    ...etc...
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    For me, IPackThat is the first automatic packing solution I've ever tried that hit all the right notes (and I've tried several over the years). Manually packing UVs is annoying and time consuming, and I'm glad tools are finally maturing to the point where it's longer necessary.
  • poopstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it's also worth noting 3D painting program are considered luxuries to starters and to start-up companies. Learning the old school way is beneficial. Plus it allows you to accommodate for many more artistic styles.

While Quixel and Substance create some amazing art, it's very similar in style and aimed towards realism.
  • Mant1k0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Allego rent-to-own system almost negates the entry barrier altogether, in my opinion. I don't know if 20 bucks a month can be considered a luxury :)

Photoshop sub is about the same price and you're never going to own the damned thing, on the other hand!

I don't know much about handpainted stuff admitedly, not my cup of tea, but I remember seeing a few threads here and there about people doing this kind of stuff with painter.

Now I'll stop derailing this thread sorry.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Mant1k0re wrote: »
    I got interested in 3d late so maybe I'm missing out on something but in a world where there are so many solutions to texture directly on your mesh in 3d what is the benefit of ordering your shells in a logical way and/or "knowing where it is"? From where I stand, the ROI on placing your shells manually seems dubious at best unless you're doing all your textures in photoshop old school.I don't think anyone actually enjoy UVing so why would you pick an approach that takes longer?

lods
    Sharing texture space across multiple assets
    Human readable uvs so you can detail by hand
    Specific layouts to support shader effects etx.

There are some of them
  • Mant1k0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man, thanks for the answer - if you could be a little more specific, I'd like to understand your points!
    poopipe wrote: »
    lods

Interesting, can you elaborate? I don't get it.
    Specific layouts to support shader effects etx.

Ditto. A specific example would be great!
    Sharing texture space across multiple assets

See Warren answer about grouping shells in modern packers - I think it covers this use case, let me know if it doesn't.
    Human readable uvs so you can detail by hand
    You mean in Photoshop. I do my 'detailing by hand' in a 3d texturing suite.