Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Cry] The Order inspired environment

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
alecchalmers polycounter lvl 10
Long time lurker on these boards and for the most part totally self taught, I decided to create a small environment inspired by 'The order:1886' as some of those environments are really great and inspiring to me.

So here it is so far, my abandoned Victorian bank building. I adapted the idea from some photo reference of old Victorian buildings, and tried to add similar atmospheric effects and lighting to the scene that would fit a screenshot of the game's environment like suggested. It's yet to be populated with the smaller assets, so it's kinda looking abit bare in places, and please ignore that placeholder lamp that I left in there.

I'd really appreciate any advice or crits you guys have, and take a look at the link to some of The Order environments to get a feel for what I aiming for it you haven't seen that game yet.

Cheers everyone!

pHQwTK4.jpg?1
CSTbt0F.jpg?1
avH2ncp.jpg?1
n1P0i5i.jpg?1
5J6XlPD.jpg?1
xsecCt1.jpg?1

Replies

• shadacer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shadacer polycounter lvl 6
    Good start man, you have a nice architectural base with some good initial materials and modular sets. Ambitious project too, I'm sure you can learn a lot from it :)

Now for the critique:
    Firstly, the lighting is very flat - you'll want to play up the dome in the middle and maybe bring in some interesting light to sell the idea of the dome's ornate glass.
    Your textures so far look very flat. The walls and floors are responding to light well, but have no variance in them - you could introduce more with adding blends to the floor as well as those small props you mentioned.
    The smoothing on the pigeonhole cabinet's drawers looks broken too, so be sure to iron that out :)
  • alecchalmers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alecchalmers polycounter lvl 10
    Great, so I'll try to highlight the dome with a bit of sunlight and hopefully some lamplight can break the flatness of the lighting.

I'll try some blend layers on the walls too, they are kinda boring as they are.

And I an't believe I didn't notice something was up with those drawers, thanks for the helpful advice Shadacer!