Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Environment Artist Portfolio Critique

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Urzaz polycounter lvl 6
Hey there pixel-pushers and poly-paddlers,

I got let go from my game job at the university where I worked due to bad timing and lack of money. I've been spending a while trying to assemble a legitimate portfolio, focusing on environment art and materials, although I did a little of everything previously.

I still have stuff I should add, but I wanted to stop delaying and get some feedback here, if possible. Let me know of any critiques or feelings you have, be it on the art itself or otherwise.

Artstation Portfolio

My website

I think as a candidate I come off okay, I have degrees in art and CS, experience working with a team on games, and everything that comes with that. I'd really, *really* like a job where I can learn from others more experienced than I, but I just don't know if my portfolio is at all acceptable.

Thanks folks!

Replies

• JustMeSR
    Offline / Send Message
    JustMeSR polycounter lvl 4
    I guess it would show better that you are environment artist if you had an environment or two in your portfolio. Right now there isn't anything beside just a bunch of materials.
  • Carabiner
    Offline / Send Message
    Carabiner greentooth
    ^^^ Seconding this. Maybe you could combine the materials into a larger environment?

Also, I think you need to be super clear about what you did and didn't create for this example: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/lGmyV Did you only create the water shader, or did you also create the aqueducts? If it's the former, you should change the title so it doesn't include "Roman Aqueduct" (maybe "Water shader for aqueduct"). If it's the latter, you should add to the second paragraph so it doesn't sound like you just made the shader.
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    to add to what JustMeSR said, you really shouldn't have to click links to other pages and websites to view your work. You want to design your website to be as simple and straight forward as possible. Home pages that don't show off any work is a big pet peeve of mine, and I know it is for many job recruiters as well.

To get your foot in the door honestly, you really have to make a big impression on someone. I think your a ways off still. If going for an environment artist position you need at least one completed piece that looks extremely polished. So shoot for that. How much time do you devote to 3d a week, and how long have you been at it? When I graduted with a game design degree I locked myself in a room and worked 7 days a week for 12-16 hours a day for almost 2 years! If you aren't devoting yourself like that, its gonna be hard to get to where you need to be.
  • Urzaz
    Offline / Send Message
    Urzaz polycounter lvl 6
    Okay. Ahem. Thanks guys!

JustMeSR - Okay, I guess that seems obvious, but I appreciate it, as it helps me re-focus. I did a lot of work on a modular Roman building set that I textured, damaged and did level layouts with, I've been planning to lay them out in a street scene, but now I'm thinking I should just show off the texturing on the assets and instead focus on a more impressive "portfolio environment".

Carabiner - I made both, for sure. I can see how the second paragraph implies otherwise, I *was* focusing on talking about the water. Thanks!
    Home pages that don't show off any work is a big pet peeve of mine, and I know it is for many job recruiters as well.
    BradMyers82 - I totally understand this. Shouldn't have linked my regular website. I think I would just show my Artstation portfolio to a recruiter, it seems to meet the requirements for simplicity and ease of use. Do you think Artstation is acceptable, or should I have a separate 3D portfolio site?

As to working in 3D, 3 years ago I started working part-time while still in school with a team on games for the University, teaching myself 3D art. Good and bad things about that, of course, at the time it was a great opportunity.

Now I'd say I'm in the lock-in-room phase, although I don't feel very good at it so far, one of the things I love about games is working with a team, I do miss that. :(

I love the work and I really appreciate the feedback, I know I really want to do this and that I can get impressive work done. Thanks again.
  • Meloncov
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    Urzaz wrote: »
    I think I would just show my Artstation portfolio to a recruiter, it seems to meet the requirements for simplicity and ease of use. Do you think Artstation is acceptable, or should I have a separate 3D portfolio site?

My understanding is that good personal website>Artstation>poor personal website. Having your own site looks a bit more professional, but no one's gonna deny you a job because you used Artstation.

Your design work seems strong enough that I think it'd be worth including on a portfolio site, but on a secondary page rather than front and center. It's easy to imagine recruiters considering graphic design skills a plus, especially at a small studio where people end up wearing more than one hat.
  • Urzaz
    Offline / Send Message
    Urzaz polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks Kevin.

Makes sense about the website. I do really like what the Artstation guys have done, it's an impressive toolset, but I can see how it makes it harder to stand out.
    Your design work seems strong enough that I think it'd be worth including on a portfolio site, but on a secondary page
    Thanks! That's good to know, I'll think about how to organize things nicely. For a graphic design job, which I may need to get soon, they want the opposite, with 3D being a nice bonus, so I guess I'll have to switch it around and back.