Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

CrackRockSteady's practice thread

I've decided to start a thread where I can show progress on things I've been working on outside of work. Progress has been slow lately and I'm hoping that having a thread to update will help keep me on track doing work on a more regular basis.

My primary goal is to improve my modeling, texturing, and material skills, though I'll likely also be selling these models.

I'm starting with some very simple furniture but I'll be progressing to more complex and detailed assets as I go.

C&C welcome, I'll try to take on feedback and advice with each new asset.

That being said, here's the latest thing I've been working on. Just an old, shitty lamp, modeled off of a lamp I have in my office. I'll try to post additional screenshots later. ~8k triangles, 2048x2048 texture res.

Edit: A couple additional screenshots of behind the lampshade to show where all those polys went

Low-poly:
LPFinal_1.png~original

LowAngle.png~original

HighAngle.png~original

Wireframe:
Wireframe.png~original

High-Poly:
LampHP.png~original

Textures (Albedo/reflectivity/microsurface/normal)
TextureFlats.png~original

Replies

• nastobi123
    Offline / Send Message
    nastobi123 polycounter lvl 8
    Noob question, how are you able to make the shade light up a bit ? Is it half white/black in the emissive map ? is it subsurface ? Looks really nice tho
  • CrackRockSteady
    I'm using an emissive map as well as a point light (non-shadow casting) in the Marmoset scene. I'm sure what I've done here is not the most accurate way to accomplish the effect, but tbh, this was the only way I knew how to do it :P If anyone has a better/more accurate way to do the lampshade I would love to hear it!

Here's a shot of the lamp without emissive or point light:
    LampOff.png~original

And emissive map:
    LampE.jpg~original
  • CrackRockSteady
    Had a crazy couple weeks and didn't make a lot of progress, but I'm back to working on these again.  I made a slightly more ornate texture set for the lamp, I'll be moving on to a more complex piece of furniture next.