Home General Discussion

Star Citizen: Squadron 42 Cast and intro footage

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Dataday polycounter lvl 8
Surprised this hasnt popped up yet. Citizencon 2015 occurred yesterday and with it came quite a bit of new footage. I was extremely impressed with what they are doing with Squadron 42, it gave off the same environmental story telling vibe as Halflife 1-2.

I really hope they can pull this off. As for the cast of characters/actors, its quite impressive:
  • Gary Oldman
  • Mark Hamill
  • Gillian Anderson
  • Mark Strong
  • John Rhys-Davies
  • Jack Huston
  • Ben Mendelsohn
  • Andy Serkis
  • Harry Treadaway
  • Liam Cunningham
  • Rhona Mitra
  • Ian Duncan — The Player
  • Sophie Wu
  • Gemma Whelan
  • Craig Fairbrass
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qexLUpQJPw8[/ame]
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EC4WHPxnrk[/ame]

Facial animation process:
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1eLecTsTSw[/ame]

Full 2 hour presentation:
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5sRUYwgWGI[/ame]

Replies

• Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    Yeah it's a pretty insane cast, woo woo Mark Hamill! I freaking love his voice acting work, guy freakin' defines the essence of the Joker.
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    Not to put a downer on the mood here because this is an awesome cast, but with all the recent talk about CIG's finances, I do wonder just how much this cost them...
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks wrote: »
    Not to put a downer on the mood here because this is an awesome cast, but with all the recent talk about CIG's finances, I do wonder just how much this cost them...

On the flip side, if their finances are fine and they do pull it off based on what we have seen (looks like the hardest part is already done), then they should do well enough from the revenue of Squadron 42 alone.

As far as the cast goes, it seems like it was one of the earlier stretch goals so abiding by it makes sense. Additionally, its not exactly uncommon for him as he did have known actors in his previous single player titles...

Example:
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt8vD5y0eE8[/ame]
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SsRzzYJ1mI[/ame]

Granted the concerns over financing might be valid, but it seems he is way too invested in this to screw up that royally. Give them the benefit of the doubt based on the results so far, and if it turns out it fails due to bad finances then get on their case.

Until we know exactly what their finances are, which is apparently not shared within the company, its not worth the worry at this point in time in my humble opinion.
  • plastix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    plastix polycounter lvl 4
    What a waste of money. Escapist article about huge problems in CIG sounds kinda plausible.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    plastix wrote: »
    What a waste of money. Escapist article about huge problems in CIG sounds kinda plausible.

How so? They claim racist hiring practices, yet there are PoC working there. They claim ageist hiring practices, yet there is a wide range of ages of people working there. They claim to know the financial situation, despite that info not being available to most working at CIG.

The escapist article, if even a half of it is proven false, makes it hard to accept...logically, that any of it is true. Even if there is some truth in there, due to the unreliable nature and clearly incorrect claims, giving it any weight without proof becomes silly.

I'm all for the truth being spread, but unless its quite obviously "truth" and not rumor, then you do a huge disservice to the studio and those working there...many who actually might like their jobs and rely on the success of the project. So again, unless there is objective proof, letting claims which many have been shown not to be the case gain any traction is silly, rather its wrong.

Regarding the waste of money part, its entirely subjective especially since we dont know how much was spent or how much that cast will bring in with a final product. Keep in mind, Mark Hamill & John Rhys-Davies for example are returning cast members for the Wing Commander series. There are reasons why they might want to work in it again (or with Chris Roberts) outside of money. Hold off on judgement if possible until more in known.
  • frmdbl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frmdbl polycounter
    Gillian Anderson and sci-fi corridors... my prayers have been answered!
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    'Professional motion capture for the Squadron 42 cutscenes' was a stretch goal. They've just about earned an additional $90,000,000.00 USD in pledges alone since reaching it.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    It's a fun/ambitions project to work on :D
  • DanConroy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DanConroy polycounter lvl 18
    Lee3dee wrote: »
    It's a fun/ambitions project to work on :D

+1
  • Quotidian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quotidian polycounter lvl 2
    looks really good. Even the technical issues are kind of reassuring, at least they're not faking stuff.

I wish they pooled all their resources into the single player first though
  • Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    Awesome stuff!
    Looking really forward to it. I'm not much for multiplayer, but Squadron 42 is exactly what I hope it is.
    plastix wrote: »

Even if it is all crap what they are saying, there is at least one person who has to come up with it in every single SC related thread.
    Damage done already.
    I hope this will not become a topic in here further at least.