Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

JoseGR's improvement thread - Hands are difficult!

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
JoseGR polycounter lvl 5
Hi guys, I keep learning about handpainted textures. I thought that to open this post would be a good idea in order to get opinions and feedback that will help me improve my skills. Right now, I'm focused on handpainting but, soon I will start sculpting in Zbrush as well. I will try to keep this updated.

This time I made a couple of assets, a wooden chair and stool. What do you think?

9yhdeHDpng

T8AjMoPpng

These days I will work on handpainted stone.

Replies

• Tectonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tectonic polycounter lvl 10
    I think the stool is looking better than the chair at the moment. the chair needs more painted bevels along the edges. also I think they could both use a bit of ramp shading on them (darker near the bottom, lighter near the top). also try mixing in some different tones and hues in there.
    Metal.gif
    hand_painted_crate_by_devin_busha-d4lkrp5.jpg
  • JoseGR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoseGR polycounter lvl 5
    Hi there! I've been lot of days off but I'm back now :)

Following the @Tectonic's advice, I made some changes in the wooden stool. This is how it eventually looks.

rOts89e.jpg

After seeing lot of tutorial, today I finished my first tileable texture, a stone wall.

9to7rg4.jpg

Finally, as I said, I wanted to start sculpting in Zbrush so, I am following the head sculpting tutorial of Edge CGI at the moment. This is one WIP, soon it will be done. Setting the eyes has been tough... He is a bit cross-eyed They don't look that good but I did my best haha

Mab3vgo.png
  • artbychien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artbychien polycounter lvl 8
    good start!
    I thought more bevels on the bricks would be better, and make the lines vary in thickness. And also mix with dark and light color, different color tones and hues.

Here is a good example
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/AXO0A7y4dxc9ktfLB-SirUeVDRqF1acLlbomtKbn-U1vEgrYQRe95Wc/
  • JoseGR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoseGR polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks @artbychien, I'll follow your advice in my next project, a small handpainted diorama in which I'm working on right now. I hope to show it soon.

Plus, I finished my first bust and started to work on the female head. I'm struggling to get the figure of woman, that's all I have up so far

I'll keep working on these days!

Happy Halloween ;)
  • JoseGR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoseGR polycounter lvl 5
    Hi there! I'm working on a treasure chest game asset. After a few days of sculpting here it's what I got

Here it's the concept

What do you think?? Working on the retopology right now that... it is being a headache after another since my Zbrush crashes every ten minutes. I think I'll give a shot to 3Dcoat. I hope to finish it these days 
  • JoseGR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoseGR polycounter lvl 5
    Treasure chest done :smile:
    It's been a great personal project in which I've made a retopology and baked a normal map for the first time.

What do you think?? You like it?
  • mrgesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrgesy polycounter lvl 7
    Not a bad sculpt. The materials seem dull. The wood needs more color and roughness variation. The frame kind of looks like gray clay..what material is it supposed to be?
    It looks like metal in the concept, so you need more spec in your metal and nice highlights.
  • JoseGR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoseGR polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks for the feedback @MRGESY ! I will keep all these things in mind in order to my next personal project. You're right, the frame doesn't look like real metal, I'll work on it.
  • JoseGR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoseGR polycounter lvl 5
    Hey! Such a long time since last time I posted here. I'm not dead :wink: 
    I joined a small studio a couple of months ago in my country so I've been busy these last weeks fitting into and seeing the way they work.

Well, I took up to learn anatomy after Christmas due to the fact that my knowlodge of it is way limited. I would like to show you my last torso. Critics are welcomed of course :smile: 

• JoseGR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoseGR polycounter lvl 5
    Hey! How you doing? I keep sculpting. That's my new personal project, an orc bust. It will take me a long time, maybe a couple of weeks, anyways, I'll keep up to date the post :smile: 

Eyelids are still a headache for me 
    :'( 

How do you think it is looking??
  • Markdidit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Markdidit polycounter lvl 6
    hey man just wanted to quickly say that these are looking good!   Seems like you're really starting to internalize the structure of the body and face, but keep going for sure.  Wish I was able to critique more specifically, but you're doing well enough already that nothing sticks out in my eyes that is missing or misplaced.   Maybe some anatomical expert could give more helpful advice and feedback?
  • JoseGR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoseGR polycounter lvl 5
    @Markdidit really thanks! Much appreciated :smile: 
    I kept sculpting this evening and that's how my (in theory) Orc is looking at the moment. I filled his cheeks as you can see and I would say I like how the ears look. Right now I'm working on the mouth, trying to give shape to it. After that, teeth are the next step (never sculpted ones before).

I guess once that mouth and teeth are done I'll be able to make that the creature looks more like a actual orc.

Of course, any kind of feedback is always welcomed :smiley: 

• JoseGR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoseGR polycounter lvl 5
    That's how my orc is looking so far! I hope to finish it this week.

What do you think guys?
  • JoseGR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoseGR polycounter lvl 5
    Hey guys, my orc bust is eventually done! I guess I'll focus on anatomy again these days.

Please, let me know whether you like it or not. Any kind of feedback is always welcomed :smile: 
  • JoseGR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoseGR polycounter lvl 5
    Hey guys! After my orc bust I decided to take up the human anatomy.
    I've studied the head, torso and (a bit of) the hands separately so far yet this time I'm aiming to put everything together in a single piece. Proportions have been a headache hahaha

As always, crits are welcomed :smile: 

• JoseGR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoseGR polycounter lvl 5
    Finally there has been a change of plan and I've put legs to the model. I would say that the legs look a bit weird at the moment, so I'll keep working on them these days. What do you think guys? Are the proportions alright in your opinion?

• JoseGR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoseGR polycounter lvl 5
    I've been sculpting this evening for a while and that's how my anatomy exercise is looking so far. After using Zremesher I focused on the head and chest. I'll keep touching it up these days :smile: 

• JoseGR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoseGR polycounter lvl 5
    I've been busy these days but got a bit of freetime this evening. Adding the fine details to the sculpt is getting harder than expected. I spent most of the time on hands and they don't look good at all yet.

That's how the whole model is looking so far. I'm using a Maarten Verhoeven's sculpt as a reference.