Home General Discussion

New Microsoft Surface Products

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
JordanLeigh polycounter lvl 9
Hey, I've not seen a thread on this yet so I'm just wondering what people's opinions are on the new surface devices just revealed??

The surface book looks pretty sweet, but it does have a high price tag!

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/devices/surface-book

Replies

• roboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roboy polycounter lvl 11
    super excited for it - they seriously blew me away with that conference

been rocking a macbook for the last few years, with a similar price tag, and I think I may have to return to windows... the polish, tech and portability - imagine the hour long seshes in the toilet... :poly124:

they haven't yet confirmed which nvidia card they'll be using and going by the actual size of it, could be a 960M

they did mention, or some website at least, that its graphics card uses 16GB GDDR5 so who knows

looking forward to see the benchmarks when it's released :D
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    The product line keeps looking better, but imo until they make a 15" variant with basically zero bezel, these products are occupying too much of a designer chic territory. For the price I think you have to ask yourself, how much work am I really going to get done on one of these? I suppose it's different for 2d artists.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    massive price tag! Im still waiting for the day that every school kid can afford a decent digital sketch pad.
  • lefix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    Why would every school kid need a digital sketch pad instead of pencil and paper, though?
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    Ged wrote: »
    massive price tag! Im still waiting for the day that every school kid can afford a decent digital sketch pad.
    You can get a Surface Pro first-generation for ~$300 and run any 2D program as well as ZBrush, or low poly work in a traditional modeler.
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    its really looking nice,
    but really expensive

2,7k for the top version
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I've been looking for a laptop that does exactly what it says it'll do. I pre-ordered it. I'll report back!
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anybody know anything about the surface book for the uk? Last I checked it was only the sp4 you could pre order in the uk
  • kendo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kendo polycounter lvl 18
    No official word on UK date/price. No doubt when the price is announced it will be roughly £1 to $1 though, still very exciting stuff. A shame there is only one button on the pen and, as far as I've gathered so far, no tilt recognition.

I was starting to become quite intrigued by the new VAIO canvas Z as well, rf detachable keyboard and better pen, but I think I better get saving for the surface book now instead.
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    £1 to $1!! Really hoping that's not the case! To get the Nvidia gpu base one its $1899!
  • 3devo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3devo polycounter lvl 12
    lol top spec surface book top out at $4199 AUD damn you australia tax.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Expensive, but the specs and features justify the price, unlike the iPad Pro, or a high end MacBook.
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does anybody know if the surface book sounds powerful enough for ue4? Say the i5 8gb version, or is it depending on the gpu?
  • garcellano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano greentooth
    yeah, I've been looking into getting one of these, or a possibly an older version that you mentioned Grimwolf, just to model/sculpt a bit and paint.
  • Lt_Commander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lt_Commander polycounter lvl 10
    Does anybody know if the surface book sounds powerful enough for ue4? Say the i5 8gb version, or is it depending on the gpu?

It's not pretty, but you can run the UE4 editor on a surface pro 1 if you want to put scorch marks on your pants. I keep it on mine to do a quick check to see if something looks good or not in-engine, without needing to be at my desktop.

I recon the editor would be serviceable on the book, but probably not ideal.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'd suggest getting a GTX 860/960M or better for UE4. That's pretty equal to a 750ti, which is basically the entry level into gaming GPUs.
  • kendo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kendo polycounter lvl 18
    The GPU in the base is currently undisclosed, but theories based on the GDDR5 ram believe it is either a custom 950m or 960m.
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    £1 to $1!! Really hoping that's not the case! To get the Nvidia gpu base one its $1899!

Looking at the current price of the surface pro 4 its $899.00 in the us store and £749.00 in the uk store, urf.

Yay vat i guess, direct conversion + 20% vat brings it to £700

Not looking forward to the books uk price!
  • nasty1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks cool, but I personally can't understand why anyone would want a portable work horse. Your probably better off investing that money into a desktop and getting a cheapo sketch tablet when your on the go.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    nasty1 wrote: »
    Looks cool, but I personally can't understand why anyone would want a portable work horse. Your probably better off investing that money into a desktop and getting a cheapo sketch tablet when your on the go.

The problem with the cheapo sketch tablet is that it gets REALLY frustrating when you want it to do something and it can't. Or if it's just overall slow feeling. It breaks you out of your groove, especially if you're used to your fast desktop.
  • Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    I've been thinking about getting one too. I'm split between getting the $600 Surface 3 since it should handle most 2d work well enough based on reviews I saw. But I'm wondering it it's worth it to pay double for double the hardrive space and double the RAM so I could possibly do zbrush sculpting on the go.

I was thinking of getting one since I'll be traveling a bit more and be more on the go soon, and having something I can do my web design/graphic design work on and be able to do 2d animation on would be really great.
  • Mant1k0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mant1k0re polycounter lvl 8
    The surface 4 looks very neat, but I'm a little lost with the different available options right now. Do you think the i5 with 8GB RAM would be enough to run Zbrush, 3DS Max and possibly also Substance Painter (not at 4096 res...) or 3D Coat for instance? And how good is the stylus...?
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10

I thought compared to Wacom tablets these were a cheapo solution?
    ( although I am happy that when surface Pro 3 came out that I was then able to get an Asus Slate for $200 :) )
    I am hoping I can cheat this way upgrading on future iterations but 3 years behind at a fifth of the cost would be nice.
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I was wondering this also. It's the intergrated gpu that puts me off tbh. I'm not sure what substance relies on but I wanted one for marmoset and possibly ue4 so j don't think it would handle those
  • Panupat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Panupat polycounter lvl 15
    I'm getting a language I don't know on top of the English presentation.... why is it doing that when there's already en-us in my URL?
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter

I regularly sculpt on the train, or when I am away. And any solution thats good enough for zbrush will cost money. Or will feel bad, ergonomically.
  • soulstice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    soulstice polycounter lvl 9
    Neox: What do you use to sculpt on the subway? I'm personally debating between a new cintiq companion or surface pro. Still a bit undecided, every tablet with a wacom digitizer has been somewhat of a let down thus far.
  • Count Vertsalot
    I'm seriously considering selling my 27QHD Cintiq and getting a Surface Book. Since I've switched gears from 3D to 2D games I can have the freedom to work wherever I want and not need all the horsepower of my desktop.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth

because I work on site ALOT and I can afford to buy better than a chapo sketch tablet, I have been looking forward to the surface pro 4 announcement for a long time. Finding out they surprise announced something even better with a GPU just made me so happy.

Because I'm a niche case where this is exactly what I need, I would probably pay even more for it :B
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    i want to know framerates and resolutions in games on reasonable settings. That Gears Ultimate edition video looked promising.

I wonder if different price tears come with different GPUs. Or iff you could buy a newer gpu/keyboard down the line.

I want to know why nvidia and all are so cagey on the details.
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I'm just hoping the gpu is fairly decent. If it an handle ue4 and marmoset I'm sold! And if not, then it's a sp3 or sp4
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Yeah I was wondering this also. It's the intergrated gpu that puts me off tbh. I'm not sure what substance relies on but I wanted one for marmoset and possibly ue4 so j don't think it would handle those

FWIW i run marmoset on occasion on a mac mini with intel 4000 HD graphics. works alright for a current gen character scene for double checking looks. newer integrated GFX should be a good bit faster, too.
    also, all my 3D in blender happens on that machine, too.

as for the surface device. the hinge looks a bit overly fancy to me. like 1st-generation-with-longevity-problems kind of fancy.
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    Only thing holding me back is that I will probably want to build a new PC in a year and a half.
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp wrote: »
    FWIW i run marmoset on occasion on a mac mini with intel 4000 HD graphics. works alright for a current gen character scene for double checking looks. newer integrated GFX should be a good bit faster, too.
    also, all my 3D in blender happens on that machine, too.

as for the surface device. the hinge looks a bit overly fancy to me. like 1st-generation-with-longevity-problems kind of fancy.

Have you ever tried running ue4 or 3ds max/maya? How does it handle those with intergrated graphics ?
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Have you ever tried running ue4 or 3ds max/maya? How does it handle those with intergrated graphics ?

sorry no, have not tried any of these on my mini. i did run maya on an MBP for a while though. that one had the older intel 3000 HD graphics and maya ran ok. again, single characters in scenes, game-rez type stuff, not exceeding 300k polygons.
    zbrush also works out fine on these machines btw.

it would not be suitable as a workhorse machine but for working a bit on the go it's all fine. i have no experience with the surface models but a macbook would probably run so hot using something like UE4 that it would start to throttle really quickly, integrated or dedicated graphics alike. the fan gets really annoying, too. if you did that in public, people would probably come up and ask to quieten it down after a bit. ;)
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    soulstice wrote: »
    Neox: What do you use to sculpt on the subway? I'm personally debating between a new cintiq companion or surface pro. Still a bit undecided, every tablet with a wacom digitizer has been somewhat of a let down thus far.

i got the surface pro 3 with radial menu for shortcuts, but i wil switch to TabletPCMouse soon
  • nasty1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir wrote: »
    The problem with the cheapo sketch tablet is that it gets REALLY frustrating when you want it to do something and it can't. Or if it's just overall slow feeling. It breaks you out of your groove, especially if you're used to your fast desktop.

I wouldn't expect desktop performance out of a cheapo tablet. Though you would be surprised how far these things can take you if you work efficiently. It's more than enough for quick sketches.
  • nasty1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough wrote: »
    I thought compared to Wacom tablets these were a cheapo solution?
    ( although I am happy that when surface Pro 3 came out that I was then able to get an Asus Slate for $200 :) )
    I am hoping I can cheat this way upgrading on future iterations but 3 years behind at a fifth of the cost would be nice.

I picked up my Asus VivoTab note 8 64gb for $375 (CAN) after tax and I can't say I regret that purchase at all. It has a Wacom digitizer. The tracking gets a bit funky around the borders of the screen, but that doesn't bother me cause that's just where menu items are and I don't actually paint there. It can Zbrush like a champ too, as long as you don't poke it while its doing any processing (dynamesh, etc). If only Microsoft would design Windows better for touch screens. They claim they designed their whole o/s to be more touch friendly but they haven't even got the keyboard right *sigh*.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    The vivotab note 8 is surprisingly good for being a budget pc-tablet and it utilizes proper wacom tech to boot.

Perfect sketch-pad on the go!
  • Har
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Har polycounter lvl 3
    The new surface pro / book are way too expensive, I bought half a year ago a surface pro 1 2nd hand, those are really cheap now and mine had still 100% battery capacity and no scratch at all. I use it to do some photoshop sketching, but it has a hard time with custom brushes and causes lag but i doubt the newer ones have enough processing power to do any better.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox wrote: »
    i got the surface pro 3 with radial menu for shortcuts, but i wil switch to TabletPCMouse soon

Will touch keys work while the pen is touching the screen? I was under the impression all surface digitizers would shut off touch if they sense the pen close by for palm rejection. Are there apps that get around this?

How would you hold shift and use the smooth tool in zbrush for example with just a touchscreen?
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    Computron wrote: »
    Will touch keys work while the pen is touching the screen? I was under the impression all surface digitizers would shut off touch if they sense the pen close by for palm rejection. Are there apps that get around this?

How would you hold shift and use the smooth tool in zbrush for example with just a touchscreen?
    Well, if it was built with that sort of device in mind, it would be pretty easy to make it simply toggle the key when pressed.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Computron wrote: »

this is exactly what it enables. otherwise the whole thing would be useless to me
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox wrote: »
    this is exactly what it enables. otherwise the whole thing would be useless to me

Does the key have to be toggled though? And can they be used simultaneously? They have to be toggled with the sp3 don't they?
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Does the key have to be toggled though? And can they be used simultaneously? They have to be toggled with the sp3 don't they?

no it works as it should, as said otherwise it would be entirely useless. but so far it only worked with radial menu, which is an OK solution. By far not as good as artdock was on Wacom Devices. But that said, TabletPCMouse looks great and seems to be able to do the same. Which I will test soon.

Also Radial Menu allows remapping the totally stupid buttons on the pen. I have a proper right click (that doesn't need to tap on the tablet with the nib) and a MMB
  • Mant1k0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mant1k0re polycounter lvl 8
    Neox, what config have you got for your SP3, since you seem to hint that it's good enough for Zbrush? Im really itching to get a SP but I have a hard time finding artist review that doesn't focus on Photoshop - I almost never use it anymore.

Also thank you for mentioning TabletPCMouse, the name is horrible but it looks great!
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What is tablet PC mouse? Is it just like artdock?
  • WarrenM
  • Computron
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Relevant parts at around 4:30

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvORdwl-qV0[/ame]

Looks good, I wish microsoft would develop something like this on an OS level.

I have been reading that the iPad Pro will support digitizer pen and touch simultaneously out of the box and the software will be designed with this in mind, which if done right will be interesting to see. I wonder how their palm rejection will work.