Home Adobe Substance

[solved] Substance Designer || Tesellation

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Mehran Khan polycounter lvl 9
I have just started using substance designer, so "noob alert!" :)
How do I use the tessellation feature?
I am using the Plane(hi-rez) geometry primitive, and I have my default shader set to "tessellation".
what else am I doing wrong?

Replies

• Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do you have a height map output, and have you tried 'show outputs in 3d view' to make sure it's being displayed?
    If so, go into your material, edit it, and up the tesselation/depth.
  • NicolasW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NicolasW polycounter lvl 13
    For viewing the displacement you have to:
    - output a height map (make sure the usage is set to height)
    - output a normal map (generally converted from the height using the normal filter), both height and normal are required
    - edit the material in the 3d view and change the "scale" value

If you use the Plane(Hi-rez) be careful with the tessellation factor as this mesh already has a high polygon density.
  • Mehran Khan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mehran Khan polycounter lvl 9
    ah yes , the scale was set to 0, got it! thanks @NIcolasW, and MightPea, appreciate the help.
  • mohsen.ghafari
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mohsen.ghafari polycounter lvl 5
    NicolasW said:
    For viewing the displacement you have to:
    - output a height map (make sure the usage is set to height)
    - output a normal map (generally converted from the height using the normal filter), both height and normal are required
    - edit the material in the 3d view and change the "scale" value

If you use the Plane(Hi-rez) be careful with the tessellation factor as this mesh already has a high polygon density.
    thanks for the solution Nicolas. It helped me to figure out how to manage my height map. the interesting part is, before changing to Plane(High-res), changing the scale and Tessellation factor would give me a very random and jaggy edge result and when I changed the plane to Plane High-res version, it not only fixed my height map scale but also it fixed the plane normal and it gave me the result that I got from plane High-res. It's like plane normal has a problem and plane high res fixes it and coming back to plane normal, the problem is gone.
  • TorQue[MoD]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TorQue[MoD] polycounter lvl 19
    Just a heads up, in Substance Designer 2018 + you now specify the tessellation through the material definition:
    Materials>Default>Definitions>Physically_Metallic_Roughness>Tessellation
    Once you do this, the Tessellation Factor parameter will show up when you edit the default material. 

• Pav3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pav3d insane polycounter
    Just a heads up, in Substance Designer 2018 + you now specify the tessellation through the material definition:
    Materials>Default>Definitions>Physically_Metallic_Roughness>Tessellation
    Once you do this, the Tessellation Factor parameter will show up when you edit the default material. 

I thought i was going mad, thanks for posting that update :D
  • kylehorne3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kylehorne3d polycounter lvl 9
    I cant for the life of me figure out what happened. But it is interesting on the last output instead of an image for the height map it shows white. When I change any values it translates the high-res plane vertically. 
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    it translates the plane because the output is white - fix that problem and the other one will go away