Home General Discussion

Expo/Con Networking Advice

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
avenali312 polycounter lvl 8
Hey everyone,

This weekend I'm heading to my first ever game dev expo (SiegeCon near Atlanta) and was hoping to get any tips or advice for networking. My plan right now is just to talk to as many people as I can since I just moved to the area and take part in as many workshops that I feel apply to me. Any protips on networking at these types of events?

Thanks,
Adam

Edited to show my signature; Thanks for the tip below, Chris!

Replies

• beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    You could start a SeigeCon Polycount meetup thread on general discussion! Also post your portfolio in your signature on polycount. That way people can be like "Oh, youre avenali312 on Polycount, I saw your work, cool stuff, etc etc etc, let's talk".
  • avenali312
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the tips, Chris! I've taken both pieces of advice and have added my portfolio to my signature and also started a Polycount meetup post here:

SIEGEcon 2015 Polycount Meetup

Also, I really enjoyed looking through your portfolio. It's helpful to see what the local talent is working on.
  • MagicSugar
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    -business cards

-Find out who's attending so you could have a short list of VIP you may want to meet so you don't waste time networking with a random non-artist intern (except if they're cute and your type :\). Follow their social media accounts, start a conversation going.

-same with companies; more you know who's showing up more you can be prepared to network (for example, you can prioritize which companies are important to you)

-practice your pitch/self-introduction, or think about small talk topics in case you're not the talkative type

-if you go to after parties, don't push your portfolio unless asked to

If you snag a job interview or offered freelance work YOU WIN :thumbup:
  • RaptorCWS
    Offline / Send Message
    RaptorCWS polycounter lvl 11
    also if you are given any business cards and worst case scenario not land a interview/ internships/job. email one of them and ask for a critique on your work. they gave you their contact info for a reason.
  • avenali312
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice! My new business cards are being delivered today, so I'm all set there.

The majority of the networking seems to happen over lunch and the after parties on Friday and Saturday evening, so I'll probably be focusing my effort there.

There are a ton of speakers this year (from what I understand, many more than years past), so I'm going through the schedule now to see which will benefit me the most.

I totally agree on not busting out the portfolio unless asked. I plan on taking my Tab S in case someone brings it up.