Home General Discussion

Textures.com, formerly CGTextures, with updated terms

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Thane- polycounter lvl 3
Any thoughts? Seems expensive to me. I always liked the idea of downloading the highest res to be future proof and in case i needed the detail, so i don't seem to be getting much if i only wanted to go that route. However i have no professional experience, my ideas of what resolutions for textures are really needed to get good detail for current games may be way overblown.

Replies

• MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    if my basic calculations are right, subscription fees seem very reasonable to me.
    its like $11 per month (1 year sub with 500 credits of commercial use) which gets you the following every month.
    seems very fair for the money.

500 Small Sized Images
    Medium Sized Images
    Large Sized Images
    XLarge ImagesUp to 22 XXLarge Images

if you cant afford $11 per month then you are not managing your money right or have the wrong priorities. for hobby/educational it is like $5.5 per month. its like one meal really!
  • Segreto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Segreto polycount sponsor
    It turns out to be a bit more expensive than before, but still very reasonable I think. If you're not doing professional work, they do have a hobby license that's considerably cheaper.
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
  • Thane-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thane- polycounter lvl 3
    What resolutions or sizes do you pros use the most without resizing them down? Like what sizes would you consider big enough for modern games while being a little bit future proof?

I remember in Racer445's sword video he used a small section of a larger metal scratch texture to create the main scratches for the sword edge. I tried doing the same thing on another thing I was working on using the 2nd largest size of the same texture and I couldn't get enough detail. For that reason and the fact that I am super picky and seem to try a ton of textures before I settle on one, I really have a tough time being satisfied with the idea of downloading a lower resolution texture. Just my current thoughts as a newb...
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    I personally can get away with medium size textures. It depends on the user and their knowledge/experience of Photoshop on how far they can take any given photo reference.
    I cant remember the last time i need a 4k texture for something (excluding face scans or facial skin pore data) and I have done lot of 4k textures for game art, some even 8k.

if you rely on super high res photo reference for making good textures, then you are doing it wrong. good textures are a balance of details and no-detail areas among many many other things. arbitrarily using high res photos can lead to textures with a shit ton of noise if you just rely on the photos and don't do a proper treatment on it.
  • huffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    I don't get the 500 credits per month plan (for 49$), I could keep a free account and get 15 credits per day, coming up to 450 per month, what's the advantage for the paid one? I rarely need large or extra large images..
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer wrote: »
    I don't get the 500 credits per month plan (for 49$), I could keep a free account and get 15 credits per day, coming up to 450 per month, what's the advantage for the paid one? I rarely need large or extra large images..

You might rarely need large or extra large images, but other people might need them. Also note that the plan you refer to is a commercial plan for up to 3 users.

Probably not something a single person would need, but maybe a little indie studio or something would?
  • tadpole3159
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tadpole3159 polycounter lvl 12
    I'm worried that I'm going to use up my points around week three and can't download any more textures. Deadlines are scarey enough I don't need this as well, especially when the old subscription plan worked so well. If I went over on the old system I only had to wait a day until I could get more, not an entire month.