Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Dave Bautista Likeness Feedback

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Nathanramsey polycounter lvl 5
Hey everyone,

I've started to do an anatomy/likeness study of the actor Dave Bautista.

I feel like I'm getting to the point where I keep making nit-picky changes but not many leaps. I was hoping to get some fresh eyes on it who can point some things out I might possibly be missing.

I'd appreciate any feedback you guys have, thank you!

forumgXPY5cb.jpgu9d4643.jpg

gXPY5cb.jpg

s1ZpWgx.jpg

J7xSqrG.jpg

gXPY5cb

Replies

• cgBrad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cgBrad polycounter lvl 5
    Feels like everything is too accentuated. His nose, brow, jowl, mouth all look much bigger / popping than they really should be. Right idea, just tone it down a bit.
  • dannyjones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did a few things in Photoshop to try to put my finger on a few things. Forgive the quick and dirty liquify job. :)

1) Pulled his temples inward. Bautista's temples appear to slope inward as they come toward his face.

2) Made his nose narrower along the bridge, and slightly smaller overall.

3) Made his mouth narrower.

4) Lifted the outer corner of his eyes slightly.

5) Tweaked his right (our left) ear. Man, I never noticed how deep the upper part of his ear is until seeing your reference photos. Crazy!

It's not perfect, but I feel like maybe it's a little bit closer? But I've only just started attempting likenesses myself, so take my advice with several grains of salt. ;)
  • sparks24
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sparks24 polycounter lvl 2
    Pretty solid so far. I think the individual features (such as the eyes and lips) are spot on. Here are some of the things you can fix though:
    -the angle between his ear and his jaw is off (it's going outward instead of in towards his neck)
    -The top outline of his eye orbits (the lateral part of the eyebrows) isn't defined enough, and also note that you sculpted him with a giant temporalis muscle (where his actually isn't that developed).

Overall, the first thing you should do seems to be to concentrate on his silhoette (from front view, from 3 quarter view, and from side). After that, flatten the area where the temporalis should be. Also maybe make the nose (where the bridge should be) more narrow

Goodluck
  • Nathanramsey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really helpful information guys I'll keep working on it for another day or two then post up another image of the results I got so far!

Again, thanks a ton!
  • Nathanramsey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys I've been tweeking it thanks to the feedback you gave before and wanted to show you a bit of an update. I fixed the roundness of the nose and made it a bit narrower along with some asymmetry since it seems like he broke his nose at some point. Also I pushed in the temple area and adjusted the eyes and lips.

jtGz7gP.jpg

bOIyFyG.jpg
  • cgBrad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cgBrad polycounter lvl 5
    Face is defiantly better. I wonder if the chin is too narrow, hard to say on account of the facial hair in the references. I don't know if the body is suppose to be realistic (I'd guess no), but his traps see way too big, like the proportions are kind of redic.
  • TophT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TophT polycounter lvl 8
    There's a lot going wrong with the proportions of the body. I would recommend stepping back and ignoring the small details you are getting into and going back to adjust the main forms. There a a lot of things that just don't read as being human. Things like the length of the femur in relation to the length of the lower leg. The length of the torso. The distance between his thighs. Even little things like the angle at which the foot extends from the ankle are wrong. Don't be too excited to sculpt striations and pores when the main building block are in the wrong places.
    Start slower and work your way from main forms to secondary shapes and tertiary and so on until you are making the fine details. Here's an image of Dave's proportions beside yours as reference.

20f2k3r.jpg
  • Nathanramsey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, I appreciate all the feedback I got during the project and I wanted to show off the final result so far, here are the artstation links with marmoset viewer
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/P49VL
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/NrWm5

• skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    His legs seem way to far apart and you missing lot of the face detail. For example the nose is a different shape and his lips and not as wide