Home General Discussion

Art in Until Dawn

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
Carabiner greentooth
I don't have a console so I can't play it myself, but I've been watching Let's Plays and the art looks really great. I'm not a character artist but I was especially impressed with the character art in this game, too. Has anyone else been playing this/noticed the art?

Examples: 1, 2, 3, 4

Replies

• woot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woot polycounter lvl 5
    yeah i played it for around 5 hours last night on a friends ps4. really absorbing game.

motion cap and animations are impressive, but occasionally lipsync is off and animations are jerky.

material definition in it is simply amazing, as is the lighting. seriously fantastic work from their environment team.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    this game seems to have flown under the radar as far as praise about it's visuals is concerned. indeed there's some very nice looking character work in there. glad to see i am not alone in this opinion after all. :)
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    That's some nice stuff. I'm not sure but it almost seems like they based the final models on scanned real people.

Still, don't hate me for this but the uncanny part still puts me off..
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    Blond wrote: »
    That's some nice stuff. I'm not sure but it almost seems like they based the final models on scanned real people.

Still, don't hate me for this but the uncanny part still puts me off..
    The game is pretty celebrity packed. It's easy to recognize Hayden Panettiere, Peter Stormare, Rami Malek and Nichole Bloom. The last two are in Mr Robot and Shameless, respectively. Two great TV shows.
  • Spiffy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spiffy polycounter lvl 12
    It's uncanny valley but we're starting to cross it.

Not gonna make it out of there if people don't push the technology and it's really impressive considering the studio (Super Massive) aren't really known for their AAA realism

http://www.supermassivegames.com/games

Though they did have Sony to back them up on this one. fingers cross for some sort of art dump one day.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    Cubic Motion and 3Lateral were delighted to work together to produce great results on Supermassive’s Until Dawn. Cubic Motion supplied facial animation to 3Lateral, bringing life to their outstanding rigs, each of which was built using 3Lateral’s custom head-scanning systems, asset-creation technologies and extensive production services. One of the highlights is Rig Logic, 3Lateral’s proprietary system for advanced rig behavior.

facial mocap:
    http://www.cubicmotion.com/until-dawn/

3d scanning:
    http://3lateral.com/

• kernersvillan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kernersvillan polycounter lvl 9
    Just finished this game today, and holy crap it was awesome! Their environments and materials are just outstanding. Are there any folks from Supermassive on here? Would absolutely love to see an art dump!