Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Rocket-Powered Zbrush Thread

polycount sponsor
Offline / Send Message
RocketBryan polycount sponsor
Hey everyone!

I want to really start documenting my process of learning ZBrush and highpoly workflow whilst I search for a full-time position. So it's time I booted up my own progress thread to share and perhaps get some feedback as I set out on my quest seeking ANCIENT and ARCANE knowledge from the masters who lurk in the shadows. So onward into the dark depths of digital sculpting!

Replies

• RocketBryan
    Offline / Send Message
    For the sake of thoroughness, I have to post my very first terribad sculpt. I heard when you first install ZBrush, you're pretty much contractually required to bust out a demon of some sort....so obligatory demon first sculpt post! Yay!

• RocketBryan
    Offline / Send Message
    This girl followed pretty shortly afterwards. She ended up as my "tutorial" sculpt where I was trying to apply some of what I was seeing in tutorials to my work.

zzZBrxrjpg

• RocketBryan
    Offline / Send Message
    I really loved Xuexiang Zhang's dragon piece so I thought I'd try a bit of stylization technique. This also marked the very first time I attempted a "likeness" study of sorts in trying to match a concept. pretty sure I sitll didn't understand how to get from Dynamesh to finished sculpt back then.

Fast forward a painful learning process and 'Victory' here was the first full pipeline practice exercise. Her final form is on my Artstation, but I'll just post her sculpts here.

yBWDHbgjpg
  • cgBrad
    Offline / Send Message
    cgBrad polycounter lvl 5
    Some nice sculpts. I would guess that 70's looking gal is from doing the Redbeard tutorial right? Just though it was interesting you didn't mention it.
  • RocketBryan
    Offline / Send Message
    cgBrad wrote: »
    Some nice sculpts. I would guess that 70's looking gal is from doing the Redbeard tutorial right? Just though it was interesting you didn't mention it.

Ha ha, oh wow, just looked up the tutorial you're referencing...and that's uncanny! I love Matt's work and I really wish I could say I'd known about this guide as that might have made my life so much easier, but unfortunately this is the first I've seen of it. The similarity is neat, but definitely unintentional. I absolutely adore that era's aesthetic and I would love to see the handkerchief hair styles really come back in fashion.

I did utilize a few of Steve James' quick tutorials though (especially the one on stylized hair). Life savers in certain situations of the learning process.

• KoekieMonster
    Hi Rocket brain,
    Your fist posted sculpts looks a little bumpy but when I saw your second post you make it all right.
    I love the stylization in your sculpts and the way how you did the rendering. Marmoset toolbag is a great tool to render your work with. You make nice portrait sculpts maybe you could try to make a whole character with arms and legs to improve your work :P