Home Adobe Substance

[Painter] - Possible to use a substance's dynamic Height map as mask?

Nexinumbra
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Nexinumbra polycounter lvl 12
I'm not sure if this is possible as I'm relatively new to Painter but I couldn't find anything on it so I thought I would ask.

I'm wondering if there is any way to use a substance's Height map as a mask while working on a layer. That way as I adjust the parameters of it the Height channel update in real time for the mask.

For example, let's say I'm making a brick wall that has controls for cracks/destruction. As I adjust my substance within Painter the amount of cracks/destruction would change, and thus the Height map for that layer. Let's say I then want to paint another layer that has moss, or some kind of grime, but I only want it to be in the cracks that I have now created, or at least be governed more by the Height information. Given that my cracks/destruction are dynamic, I can't just use a baked Height mask for it and would instead need one that is dynamically updated as I change the layer's parameters.

I'm used to having this kind of control within UE3 when doing vertex painting and using the Height mask as a control, so I'm hoping there's a way of doing it with the dynamic nature of Substance's system. It may be something that I just stupidly overlooked but I thought I'd ask. Thanks!

Replies