Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

reel end cap

interpolator

Replies

• Arturow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arturow polycounter
    to me all the movements are ok , how the body reacts to the impact it feels good but I think the translation when he lands is a bit too much. It feels like an external force is pushing him after he lands :) hope it helps
  • linwail
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    linwail polycounter lvl 5
    I feel like the head bobbing after it hits the ground needs some work
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    thanks guys, addressing those issues.
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    His impact pose almost leans himself towards falling forward, rather than backward. This is due to the sheer amount of weight focused heavily on his shoulders/head on impact.

I understand that the springing motion of the feet/spine propel him in the unexpected direction, but I think to really nail that you could add a couple more frames or a teetering motion before he springs backwards.

In general the secondary motion is feeling good, but like linwail said, the head could have a bit more polish.
  • JennyS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Hito, it's looking pretty good! I can't quite tell on a youtube video but it looks like the bouncing elbows, knees, head, are all impacting at the same time. His head could prob bounce faster and his knee's max height could be a little lower. His left knee also looks as if it's popping on the bounce, maybe check what your pole vector is doing on that side. Hope that helps you!
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    Thanks! Definitely helps. I've since offset the timing for arms and legs a bit; pushed the impact pose some more and adjusted it so the fall direction isn't too much of a surprise. Gonna take a look at it again tonight and polish up knee and elbow contacts and any thing else I see.
  • ironbelly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbelly polycounter lvl 9
    I think what tends to be more impressive is if you can show it in slowmotion and it still looks good. 2 camera angles then a slow-mo. My guess is the above discussion on how to get his final impact looking better is correct. Maybe tone down the 'bounce' in general.
  • theANMATOR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theANMATOR polycounter lvl 6
    Agree with ironbelly. For compositing this into your reel - my preference when reviewing animation reels is to see something only once. If I think the action is good (better than others) or something looks wrong, I will go back and scrub through the shot.
    It's pretty annoying to see the same shot shown back to back 3-4 times from different angles.
    If you really want to show different angles of the same shot, composite it together so it is visible from different angles at the same time. Personal preference -