Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Texturing - Feedback pls

Hello,

I got some more time to practice Substance Painter, and I could really, really use your feedback.

It's a character done by Mike Pavlovich and I'm just texturing it piece by piece.
I want to start with the ForeArm piece and when you guys approve it I'll move to the next piece.

jpgMuqY.jpg

gmJOfle.jpg

All screens I post are print screen from Substance Painter.

Thanks for the feedback you leave. :)
Alireza

Replies

• Maximum-Dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Added another layer.

CTHmUpi.jpg

nz1SaEv.jpg

Something isn't right. Surfaces doesn't look interesting enough. :poly141:
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    I think you have a lot of fine details all over that they turn into noise O o' Too many patterns for my liking. I really like the knuckles on the back of the hand, though.
  • DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Add some Color.

Otherwise unless this is going to be cinematic in nature the super quality small details are just going to consume your time and possibly burn you out. Though the leather does look nice the details are just so small as Pyr already stated creating noise.

Just noticed those line patterns under the guards no one can see that, but i am guessing this might be a cinematic design if your textures can support that level of quality the maps must be huge around 4k, 8k?

If the design is an all black one (have to guess what the concept looks like) then i'd say your good to go onto the next piece, might want to play with some specular/metalness and or micro.

Edit getting a huge paint ball type design vibe from this.
  • Maximum-Dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys, Thanks for the feedback.

This isn't a game asset. I want to only practice/discover stuff. Thus, high res textures and fine details. I gotta find some interesting color scheme as you mentioned though.

But here's the head for now, let me know how I can improve the texturing. :)

qLLUh1c.jpg

Danke.
  • Adam1313
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam1313 polycounter lvl 3
    To be honest I can't say anything needs to be fixed/improved. It looks good, the only thing I do have to say is that I would love to see more metal and less plastic in this suit
  • DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    What ^ said.
    Thanks for more info, this is looking good then, carry on.
  • Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan Powell polycounter lvl 5
    Looks good to me; digging the shapes on the gauntlet!
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Hm its always difficult when the object should appear new, but to me this is only the very start of texture work. You applied base material layers, that is pretty much the easiest and smallest part of the texturing process, but those seem well picked although its too much of the same lightness and it comes down to a bit too much of the same gray, a bit more separation would do well but its fine and realistic Id say and the roughness / spec seems spot on.

The difficult part of texturing is wear and tear. Edge definition, grime, discoloration, bleaching, acummulation of dust and dirt, scratches, fat from touching, spots of high pressure, different materials shining through layers of other materials and rougness changes, small scale and large scale wear and their balance, material deformation, detail normals / bump, humanization and patchwork, those are the things that show that you know how to texture, at the moment I can not judge from the model if you can texture or not, the visuals are getting carried by the 3D model and its definition, I can not see anything that I would define as texture work above the first step of applying correct materials with micro scale noise. Good edge definition is the most important aspect imo and it makes a difference like night and day.

Try using a convexity mask, apply wear and then erase 75% of it for a good starting point per example. Hope that helps.
  • Maximum-Dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Adam1313, Danke. :)

@DavidCruz, ^ :)

@Dan Powell, ^^ :)

@Shrike, Fantastic feedback. Thanks a lot. :)
    Now what I'm going for is an ultra new or clean look what I'm trying to keep onto is the PBR accuracy. Still I don't like how it looks I'm after a total realistic look but yet it don't feel that way not sure why. Maybe because I have never seen a clean suite like that in reality I can't judge. But when I add some dust and wear and things like you mentioned it starts to look more believable.

I'll drop the clean cinematic look and post some updates when ready. :)

Gracias.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    For a clean look you need a flawless silhouette and perfect edges, and the materials should be very exact, like correct IOR value exact, (I know no realtime engine that even allows setting IOR values) realtime is not good for factory new looks, its better you render the highpoly in a 3D program with offline quality lighting and materials in such a case. But this is for your portfolio and you want to show & improve texturing skills, so the more wear the better id say.
  • Maximum-Dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made a lot of color schemes and still not there. I'm looking at a lot of antique cars with nice colors but haven't yet found a color scheme I'd really like. :(

aqPEi4T.jpg
  • Jack M.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    Much better color scheme!

I think it would be beneficial to change the leather straps to a more nylon or hex type material.

Other than that it's coming along quite nicely.
  • Tectonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tectonic polycounter lvl 10
    I think orange and black look good together. what would probably help too is adding some worn decals in a nice accent color like yellow or white.
  • Micaki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Micaki polycounter lvl 3
    Its great that you are looking for feedback Maximum. In fact when i saw some of your asset textures on skype i was like, "yeah its a great base to work on" and then you say its finished, wait, but thats a start of texturing process :P Even if you go for clean, new materials/textures you need to make them interesting. I agree with Shrike, also basic materials only look good in archviz (and sometimes in cg). Making material look new and interesting is hard to master, also when you show clean but boring material to client, he can say you dont have enough skills (sic but true :P).Well, we are doing art, everything we replicate from real word is stylised by us (even highly realistic/scanned assets), also sometimes when you create textures that are looking just like in real world they can look bad in 3d. General rule here is, if it looks good, its good. I saw great presentation somewhere (dont remember now where sadly) artists said that in perfect world, modeling and texturing would take 50/50% of time (that was quite old presentation as they were texturing only in ps). Nowadays texturing takes much quicker with new tools, but that gives a picture how much time sometimes you need to spend on texturing to create awesome assets.

As we are going to work on the same assets i would like to talk to you about this,also i have some great resources to show you, if you have free hour or two this weekend, poke me on skype :D

Ps: that leather belt is not really looking great on a sci fi armor :P
  • Dripz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dripz vertex
    I love the color scheme on the chest! Some nice logos or decal would absolutely help @Tectonic!