Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My first handpainted file - Wooden Shield

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
JoseGR polycounter lvl 5
This is my first handpainted file, a wooden shield. It took me lot of hours because it has been the first time I have drawn in Photoshop.

7Y3lX9z.png

It would be great getting some comments about what you like and what you think I should improve. Thanks!

Replies

• yamunaftw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yamunaftw polycounter lvl 4
    I like this very much, maybe you could make the center of the shield more interesting for example the sphere in the middle to pop more or maybe some intricate designs around it.
  • MrD4rth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrD4rth polycounter lvl 9
    honestly, it looks great. I know for blizzard peoples, they really stress pushing some color variation in their textures. the brown is very brown, maybe try adding some more reddish-brown low-lights, and yellow-brown highlights. add some blue in the metal texture, and really make the thing POP! fantastic work tho
  • SleepingGiant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SleepingGiant polycounter lvl 5
    Good stuff JoseGR! Was there a specific style you were tying imitate, or just your own exploration?
  • JoseGR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoseGR polycounter lvl 5
    I'm really glad of hear it! Thanks for the feedback. I will follow your advise MrD4rth and will play with the browns tomorrow.

My own exploration SleepingGiant; just looked for some realistic and cartoonish references plus some tutorials in youtube and I started to work on the shield. My first purpose was to make a piece similar to the How to train your dragon shields yet I changed my mind and got this finally.
  • BeardedMike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeardedMike polycounter lvl 7
    It looks awesome! My only suggestion would be to incorporate some of the lighter highlights like you have around the metal edges of the shield in to metal center piece and the bolts