Home Technical Talk

3ds Max Rendering Output

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
doeseph polycounter lvl 7
Hey everyone,

I'm having a small issue that I can't quite find any information on. I set up a 600 frame animation in 3ds Max to output @ 1280 x 481 (an odd resolution, granted) in the .avi format. Unfortunately it seems to default to 720 x 480 on save, but the Render Window as it processes the render is @ 1280 x 481.

Is this a problem with the .avi format (in that it can't output @ the goofy aspect ratio I have it set to) or is it something to do with Max not being able to render at that resolution?

Replies

• doolally66
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doolally66 polycounter lvl 2
    I remember running into this issue a while ago myself.This page should help.

It has a note on it saying
    When using the 64-bit version of 3ds Max, the default compressor is DV Video Encoder. The only output resolution this encoder supports is 720 x 480. To use another output resolution, set Compressor to a different option.

I'd recommend outputting your animation as an image sequence and then using something like After Effects to piece it together. I know not everyone can do this however.
  • doeseph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doeseph polycounter lvl 7
    @doolally66 thank you! I was curious why you can't adjust the DV Video Compressor at all.
    I'd recommend outputting your animation as an image sequence and then using something like After Effects to piece it together. I know not everyone can do this however.

I've been suggested that before but never done so, maybe it's time to try it out. What are the major benefits of doing image sequencing over outputting to a .mov or .avi file?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If Max crashes during a render to a single-file format, often that file ends up corrupted. If you render to sequential images instead, it saves everything up to that point. So you only have to re-render from the crash point onwards. Also if you choose a lossless image format, you can experiment with video compressions easier, since lossless source always compresses better than a lossy one.

DV format is confined by definition to 720x480, it's a hard-coded limit of the compressor.

There are other tools to create AVIs from frames. VirtualDub is free (if you prefer a GUI). FFMpeg is also free (if you prefer command-line batching).
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh also, you can use Max itself to compile frames into an AVI. I like using the Material Editor for this.