Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

frmdbl's Experiments [UE4]

frmdbl
polycounter
Offline / Send Message
frmdbl polycounter
Hi Polycount!

Here's a couple of small environments I made in the Unreal Engine to quickly play with various materials and with lighting.

I'm curious what you think.

1.jpeg?raw=1
2.jpeg?raw=1
3.jpeg?raw=1
4.jpeg?raw=1
1.jpeg?raw=1
2.jpeg?raw=1
3.jpeg?raw=1
4.jpeg?raw=1
5.jpeg?raw=1
2.jpeg?raw=1
3.jpeg?raw=112.jpeg?raw=1
11.jpeg?raw=1
12.jpeg?raw=1

Replies

• eyasuu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eyasuu polycounter lvl 9
    Really digging these images.

The Brutalist like building is looking pretty sweet but the lighting, compositions and materials could be pushed, in my opinion. Maybe breaking up the grey with some of those trees; accent the round and natural shapes with the really blocky ones you've got going there.

Overall they are pretty awesome. Keep it up man!
  • Kid.in.the.Dark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kid.in.the.Dark polycounter lvl 6
    Damn that grass is sweet... any chance you could share your material node setup for that shader? grass shaders have always been a bit of a struggle for me would love to learn it :D

I'd say tone down the reflection on the copper materials and give it a slightly more brushed metal look since the overly reflective surface really breaks the realistic look in this scene that you've actually managed to capture in other parts of your scene.

Loving this piece though, subbed (Y)
  • LaurentiuN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN interpolator
    I like a lot the barrel and grass scene, GJ
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    impressive scenes wow! love the photographic camera look youve got going in the dof and post etc
  • frmdbl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frmdbl polycounter
    Thanks guys for the comments!

@Kid.in.the.Dark

Here's the setup for the grass. Not very complicated, the SSS color is quite important I think. The shading model is set to two sided foliage.

I used a generic blade texture I made in Substance Designer and generated some variety for the blades with UV mapping and using 3 slighly different instances of the material.

Grass_MatSetup.jpeg?raw=1

In terms of the copper I see the point, but in reality those elements are quite reflective too.

http://assets3.thrillist.com/v1/image/17405/size/tl-horizontal_main/a-bar-in-a-distillery

Also, here are some vertex color shots, I these two scenes I did quite a lot of hand painting of those.

HighresScreenshot00000.jpg?raw=1

HighresScreenshot00013.jpg?raw=1

In the second one it's just red channel that I painted.
  • Kid.in.the.Dark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kid.in.the.Dark polycounter lvl 6
    Thank you! I've always had trouble getting my SSS shaders to work... I'll give your setup a fiddle around with later :)

In terms of the copper, yeah looking at your reference I guess it is quite reflective haha but the actual surface of the material isn't as glossy as yours currently is? My observation is heavily based on the spread of the reflective highlight on the surface of your reference so just tone down the glossiness of the material a little bit then (Y)

Nice work :)