I currently collect some opinions about foldernames, filenames & filenaming in Game Development for a small article. If you want, feel free to drop your tips, resources, experiences, etc ...
1. Which information do you add were to your filename?
(date, author, digits, ...)
2. How do you separate words in a filename?
house small 01.fbx
3. Do you (and why) use numbers or letters to "numerize" files?
4. Do you describe the specific content of the file or do you stay generic?
5. Do you use a lot folders with less files or do you prefer a flat hierarchy where every folder then contains a bit more files?
6. What's you opinion about long filenames?
If you for example include the folderstructure within the filename you get a unique
filename and always know where to find the file (even without looking at the folders): \ships\xl\ships_xl
7. If you have long filenames, what's your experience with performance?
For example while hashing them.
8. If you have different races/locations in the game, do you sort them via folder or via filename?
9. If you see an asset in your game, how exactly do you find out where exactly it's located on your HDD?
10. Do you have a filename convention documentation and everyone knows where to find it?
What would you like to add?