Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Obscura's hand painting improvement thread

grand marshal polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Obscura grand marshal polycounter
Hey guys!
So recently I started practicing hand painting again. I already posted a few results here and there, but I wanted to have them in one place so here is the thread for it. I would like to get feedback, opinions, suggestions here.

Here are the 3 most recent tries.

1. Book(Concept by Jasper Joris)
Concept:
https://jasperjoris.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/8347c3gpthyg1400201643809.jpg
My attempt:
jcOO41X.jpg

2. Sword(concept by Rafael Zanchetin):
Concept:
http://orig08.deviantart.net/c7c1/f/2015/224/a/f/batch1_by_rzanchetin-d95f6u8.png
My attempt:
zvLWdEX.jpg

3. Tileable stone brick texture:
I didnt have a specific concept for this, I was following various screenshots from WoW.
C10julK.png

And... For comparison, here is a scene that I made for practicing hand painting, at the end of 2013:
http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129297&page=2
After this scene, I stopped making completely hand painted textures, until now.

Replies

• Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    I just uploaded the sword and the book to Sketchfab so now they can be viewed in 3d.
    [SKETCHFAB]eb8ff0f50d4f467eb8c571bed244e011[/SKETCHFAB]
    [SKETCHFAB]6d4b0d3dd7ba4b8e80104348d8dd4b30[/SKETCHFAB]
  • Kid.in.the.Dark
    Offline / Send Message
    Kid.in.the.Dark polycounter lvl 6
    that book is cuuuuute, great work so far... here's my critiques~

The values on your book metal material could go to a bit more extreme contrasts... that way it will sell the metal feel better as right now it's looking a little flat e.g.

maxresdefault.jpg

The book binder section itself I think could do with 2 metal bolts like the corners of the cover instead of a wooden bind section as well.. it would break up that negative brown space a bit more and add more eye candy for the viewer.

keep going (Y)
  • ROBBOsulsu
    Awesome pieces of work, my only critic to say really would be watch your textures. Remember when you were a child and you were told not to go over the lines, in this situation it's kinda like that. With your book not so much, but when looking at the sword it's rather visible in places, and you immediately know it's not supposed to be like that. Other than that though, it's a good piece of work, you're making great leeway.
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Great feedback guys, thanks for the input:thumbup:. I'll try to implement them on the next pieces. They are coming really soon.
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    I made some snail cake wood beams lol.
    KWo4G1G.jpg
    eyUq1Gk.jpg
    Also I made some adjustments on the brick texture
    dmZz2tE.png
  • QOR_082
    Offline / Send Message
    QOR_082 polycounter lvl 3
    It looks really nice. Lo Poly art. Did you use Photoshop?
  • switz
    Offline / Send Message
    switz polycounter lvl 10
    Love the sword. The stone looks a bit flat/monochrome, maybe try bringing some slight cooler colors to the cracks?

Also try running the Unsharp Mask filter; crisps up the edges and makes everything look less "fuzzy".
  • Gazu
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 11
    Love the Book!
    But yeah, make the Metal more Shiny :)