Home General Discussion

The end of poly modeling...? What...?

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Mant1k0re polycounter lvl 8
So I've been following David Lesperance for quite some time now, I like his style and all the information that he drops during his tutorials - he's conversant with so many different tools and he's always trying out new things as they come out - when he likes it, he makes sure to tell you why and how it can speed up your workflow.

One comment that he drops quite often though, and one that as far I know he never really elaborated on, is something along the line of "might as well do some poly modeling while we can..." and other things hinting at the soon-to-be obsolete nature of all polygonal modeling packages.

I'm really curious as to what he could possibly see that would make my favourite tools irrelevant in a not-so-distant future... any ideas?

Photogrammetry? Zbrush 5...? A man-machine interface allowing to model with the sheer power of the mind...?

Kind of not important but I'd be interested in listening to what other experts have to say :)

Replies

• Skinpop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skinpop polycounter lvl 9
    i'm not an expert but I don't see how the non destructive parameterized or semi-parameterized workflow possibilities with poly-modeling could ever become obsolete. it all comes down to needs and anyone outright dismissing an approach is speaking from ignorance.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    One comment that he drops quite often though

Make sure to quote your sources, as this kind of stuff can quickly cause rumors and misunderstandings.

As far as I understand it from your post this is pretty much a joke on his end, or, something relevant to very specific assets relying on scanning for their original sourcing (like actor faces). This could also be caused by a perspective coming from a certain line of work : yes, a concept model of a spaceship or weapon can be fully sculpted. But no, the same design intended for baking and ingame use can't 99% of the time (and the specifics of that go much deeper than just the highpoly modeling part).

In short :
    1 - don't worry
    2 - in case something revolutionary comes out and completely changes our workflow : don't worry either ! If it is fun to use, efficient, and production-ready it can only be a good thing.

[edit] : he could also be referring to his use of CAD, as he is a Fusion360 user. Another reason to quote properly :)
  • Magihat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Magihat ngon master
    Since he works at valve he is obviously hinting that Half Life 3 will be so good that it ends the need for any new digital entertainment to ever be made. Polygon modeling will not be made obsolete by other methods, it will be made obsolete by the apathy brought by playing the best game ever made.

...on a serious note I have no idea what he is talking about and it sounds like a tongue-in-cheek statement anyways.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Yeah, just like Unlimited Detail got rid of polygons, and is now used in every game engine ever.
  • Mant1k0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Pior,

good points, I can see how what I wrote could be misinterpreted. I am not worrying though, it's just that I usually try and follow up on what he says because he has very good advices, and this particular comment I could not rely to any specific tech or tool, and I was curious. So to clarify, the second part of my comment was more of a (failed) humoristic attempt at retranscribing some of the comments he made around this. He's not actually saying that Max is going the way of the dinosaurs (in fact he released a pretty good series of introduction tutorials to Max 15 just last year).

So I think the first time I heard him say something like this must have been in his enviro series on Uartsy which I believe he recorded in 2013. The lecture was about Keyshot and he was hinting at future applications of real time raytracers (I obviously did not make the connection between this and the end of poly modeling). I hope it provides better context. Again it is not a ZOMG we are all doomed thread, it's just a matter of curiosity :)
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Yea, I bet eventually he'll be right. Not sure I'm seeing a lot of progress from 3d software companies right now though.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    pior wrote: »
    he could also be referring to his use of CAD, as he is a Fusion360 user. Another reason to quote properly :)

Yea I've been seeing a lot of really neat things out of Fusion, Inventor, and Moi3d. I think that type of modelling could improve in the next few years and be the new standard. I mean even looking at how much the texture process has improved in the past 5 years makes me curious if modelling will undergo the same transformation in 5-10 years time.

I know Kirill Chepizhko has used fusion for some production stuff and Edon Guraziu has been doing some real real neat experiments with Moi3d.

https://www.artstation.com/artist/fett
    https://www.artstation.com/artist/guraziu
  • Mant1k0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So for someone that knows absolutely nothing about CAD, how is modeling in one of these package different from using Max or Maya...? How do you describe a surface with something else than polygons...?

*scratching head

very neat art on those 2 pages Beef.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    David is far from a fool so I think the quote is missing a little context. I don't see poly modeling going anywhere anytime soon.

CAD is fun but it's less flexible than poly modeling. I like it but I rarely go to it anymore. I can get there with polygons quicker, although that's heavily skewed by familiarity with poly modeling tools. Obs...
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rCZNFARSfQ[/ame]

@12:45

Obviously I can't say how this is better or worse since I'm still far off from really mastering regular poly modelling.

It does look interesting though

There are a lot of other real neat videos if you dig through youtube.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CAD is very interesting. Clean booleans, every time, and mathematically perfect surfaces. For some operations, it can't be beat. But it's hard to swap between polygons and CAD surfaces so you have to pick up front ... choose wisely. :)
  • Mant1k0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WarrenM wrote: »
    David is far from a fool so I think the quote is missing a little context.

Yeah really I start feeling bad for even starting this thread now -.- I really respect the guy a lot. I am trying to find exactly the passage where he said it but it's difficult, he's quite a prolific man and he speaks a lot, very fast, and he jumps all over the place all the time, throwing you golden nuggets of info faster than you can say "hello". I think I will end up trying to reach out to him directly to make amend, if he finds out about this thread and the direction it's going in now I might never dare to look at myself in the mirror again :/

Going back to watching some tuts he made hoping to find the line...
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
    Soon low-poly polygonal characters will be the new pixel art :P

I don't see it going away any time soon.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Idagraca, it already is around here.... Though i doubt it will ever be in the mainstream consciousness like pixel art is though.
  • DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    WarrenM wrote: »
    David is far from a fool.
    That is all I ever wanted to hear ;) *tear* Oh wait... M!poly127.gif

Also thread title is Blasphemy.
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    iadagraca wrote: »
    Soon low-poly polygonal characters will be the new pixel art :P

I don't see it going away any time soon.

It already is, there's even a group in deviantart where you can find alot of them! Or just go on sketchfab and you'll see tons of lo-po models with tiny textures diff maps!

I'm a fan of it myself.
  • Mant1k0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    about 8 hours of videos later - to prove once more that Pior is the voice of reason and almost always right, my memory did a mishmash of several things that David said that are not related. Somewhat I linked the ocasional "might as well do some poly modeling while we can" with another comment he makes during a lecture he made on baroque modeling about rendering, while he's demonstrating Vray realtime, and comments on the looks of games in the next 10-15 years when realtime raytracing is implemented.

Next time I will definitely check the source seriously again... (I'm still curious to know what's behind the first comment, because he's not quite putting it as a joke.)
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    Mant1k0re wrote: »
    So for someone that knows absolutely nothing about CAD, how is modeling in one of these package different from using Max or Maya...? How do you describe a surface with something else than polygons...?

*scratching head

very neat art on those 2 pages Beef.

A lot of NURBS, if you're doing things right. It gets weirder when you're not.
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
    Muzz wrote: »
    Idagraca, it already is around here.... Though i doubt it will ever be in the mainstream consciousness like pixel art is though.

Yeah i'm aware it's there i'm refering to it going mainstream. I think pixel art has hit it's peak recently and developers will be looking for something else soon enough.

And i think everyone can get behind a bunch of games that look like megaman legends.

I've been considering directing some of my portfolio work to that style preemptively, on top of the handpainted stuff i do.

I know a lot of pixel artist who think they should move to 3D pixel art textures.