Home Adobe Substance

Character Customize Screen

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Justo polycounter
So I'd like to make one for a game engine.

1-Is it efficient perfomance-wise to do it using Substance's dynamic parameters?
2-For changing colors I would expose Hue parameters from the HSL node, but what if I had an array of tattoos I wanted the player to choose from? Would I need to have X number of SVG masks and boolean parameters that'd turn them on or off, one for each tattoo?

Replies

• Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    In this context I believe Substance is the most appropriate.

1 - Since you only tweak your characters properties a few times in the life of a game, this means most of the time the texture will be static. Therefore doing it via Substance instead of a shader will be better in the long term. Once the texture is done, you can use is in a simple shader for the rest of the game. Also some complex blending operations will very hard to optimize/manage in a shader only.

2 - An array of tattoos can be exposed via a multi-switch node (available in the library). If you want to add more than one tattoo at a time, then just use regular blend node (this will create a chain).

If you want some advices regarding performances, take a look at this page : https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/display/SD5/Performance+Optimization+Guidelines
  • Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    Thanks Froyok. I'll look into it and hopefully post some results.