Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Creaturebox - Nuf Said.

Dave Jr
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
Started this as a quick sketch whilst at lunch after a really bad morning :) it expressed my mood entirely...

I decided to turn it into a game ready character, haven't got much expertise when it comes to characters as I'm a prop Artist so am always hoping for critique to push it.

Concept by Greg Baldwin (webpage found here):
http://creaturebox.com/artwork/nuf-said/

VAFFbo9.jpg

Latest Update:

KfEQZ2C.jpg

Feet, hands and are just basic quick block ins.

I lack insight on his shoulders atm, and think ideally its rolls of fat ontop of each other, sort of like this reference:

Du9GyTl.png

Any comments would always be appreciated and I'll post each update accordingly.

Cheers

Replies

• LSheridan
    Offline / Send Message
    LSheridan polycounter lvl 6
    I think the proportions are a bit off compared to the concept. The end of his shoulders appear to not go past his cheeks while his neck is nearly as big as his belly. His chest is a bit smaller as well. Legs also are considerably smaller. Everything also seems to be taken over by gravity a bit more as well.
  • Dave Jr
    Offline / Send Message
    LSheridan wrote: »
    I think the proportions are a bit off compared to the concept. The end of his shoulders appear to not go past his cheeks while his neck is nearly as big as his belly. His chest is a bit smaller as well. Legs also are considerably smaller. Everything also seems to be taken over by gravity a bit more as well.

Cheers for the response and value the crits.

By ends of his shoulders I'm guessing you mean the top of them next to his cheek? I can see his chest and legs are way off now, especially in comparison to his belly.

Will adjust and update the thread,

Thanks!!
  • dpadam450
    Offline / Send Message
    dpadam450 polycounter lvl 9
    The stomach and chest combined are about the size of his head in the concept. I think you have made him a bit fat.
  • Dave Jr
    Offline / Send Message
    Off for tonight; Really quick proportion change so far; will continue to adjust to crits tomorrow :)

cheers guys

IMNp6be.png
  • Tectonic
    Offline / Send Message
    Tectonic polycounter lvl 10
    looking good! I think in the reference his eyes seem closer together than how you have them in your sculpt. they seem very deep set under the brow in the concept.
  • Dave Jr
    Offline / Send Message
    New update,

redid my proportions to match the concept, adjusted head, moved eyes closer and made them more deeper inset. Will rework body tomorrow; Crits always appreciated.

L8E4oMc.jpg
  • Tectonic
    Offline / Send Message
  • Dave Jr
    Offline / Send Message
    New update:

Got some feedback and a paintover on the Polycount skype, commenting that the silohuette was quite plain and to reduce body in comparison to headsize...

Looking at my previous update I don't know if this has now become further from the concept..

WqQrhQI.jpg

Would love to know your thoughts!
  • Tectonic
    Offline / Send Message
    hes looking good n saggy. I think the neck should droop into the chest a little more, and id love to see some folds where his thighs meet his belly.
  • Dave Jr
    Offline / Send Message
    Tectonic wrote: »
    hes looking good n saggy. I think the neck should droop into the chest a little more, and id love to see some folds where his thighs meet his belly.

Cheers for the constant critique its very much appreciated.

I will add some folds to the arms, and the legs tonight; along with maybe making him ever so slightly wider, increasing the size of his "man-boobs" and making the belly a little bit further out.

Any comments on the new version in contrast to the old? With the body being smaller - do you think its better/worse?
  • dpadam450
    Offline / Send Message
    dpadam450 polycounter lvl 9
    Front of the neck in the concept flows down to about the top of the nipple. You have a U shaped chin, the concept is a U-shape with the center line pulled down really far.

The part of the skin that looks like a shirt, you should get the part towards the body to smooth in more instead of a hard edge that looks like a shirt. Your previous image looks more like how it should read, just arm fat. But right now its such a hard edge. You should smooth the inner part like the concept.
    http://i.imgur.com/L8E4oMc.jpg
  • Dave Jr
    Offline / Send Message
    dpadam450 wrote: »
    Front of the neck in the concept flows down to about the top of the nipple. You have a U shaped chin, the concept is a U-shape with the center line pulled down really far.

The part of the skin that looks like a shirt, you should get the part towards the body to smooth in more instead of a hard edge that looks like a shirt. Your previous image looks more like how it should read, just arm fat. But right now its such a hard edge. You should smooth the inner part like the concept.
    http://i.imgur.com/L8E4oMc.jpg

Hey dpadam;

thanks for the critique - its appreciated. I started to rework the arms yesterday, and even changed the pose of them to allow easier sculpting. I will have a look at the neck and work on the arm-fat and post an update tonight.

Cheers!

keep em coming.
  • Dave Jr
    Offline / Send Message
    Was having trouble with the pose so reposed it; can rig at a later date to get the characters stance.

Had trouble with the arms and anatomy in general; please let me know what u think :)
  • Dave Jr
    Offline / Send Message
  • Dave Jr
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated to correct image!!
  • Dave Jr
    Offline / Send Message
    Latest Update for tonight:

Big changes :) Would love to know what you guys think, tomorrow I plan on adding some more folds before working on the horns and tusks - and ofcourse to any critique you guys give!
  • Dave Jr
    Offline / Send Message
    Realised after viewing last nights progress a few hours we working backwards...

Got a great paint-over from Ben at work!
  • Dave Jr
    Offline / Send Message
    Have been ill last few days so not been able to do as much as I wanted; however heres its current progress as it stands;

would love some critique to push it closer to the concept.

V3b1HKm.jpg
  • Abrvpt
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Looking good !
    Only thing I'll suggest is about the pectoral area, since he's kinda based on human anatomy, you should try to distribute fat a bit like this: (my apologies for the gross references)
    Man-boobs.jpg
    jscd0.jpg
    But obviously with less volume.

Sorry again for these -___-
  • Dave Jr
    Offline / Send Message
    Ha!

Thanks for the critique, and no worries on the grossness of the images; as gross as it is, it gets the point across incredibly clearly :P
  • Dave Jr
    Offline / Send Message
    Latest Update -
    Reworked pectoral area, reworked eyes, added some placeholder nails, reworked a little of the back, will adjust brow eye tomorrow; rework legs and feet/hands.

Crits appreciated as ideally would like this to get to a retop/texturing stage :)

SyM3J7c.jpg
  • Tectonic
    Offline / Send Message
    its looking good! Its hard to tell from the reference but the hands might have only 3 fingers (like the toes).
  • Dave Jr
    Offline / Send Message
    Tectonic wrote: »
    its looking good! Its hard to tell from the reference but the hands might have only 3 fingers (like the toes).

Only just read this critque, but if I had earlier I definitely would of made this change. :( A small update for tonight, didnt do too much.

Tomorrow/Weekend will work hands and feet before I do a quick detail pass before finishing off with the sculpt :)

KfEQZ2C.jpg