Home Technical Talk

Marvelous Designer, Were to start?

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
DanielJohnsson polycounter lvl 5
Hey guys! i am in need of a "marvelous for dummies" handbook

I have heard alot of good stuff about Marvelous designer and i got a bit curious so i thought i would give it a try, but after some time searching after tutorials and such i still can't find any good ones.

The program itself seems pretty straightforward but to actually sew clothing, that's a skillset i dont have so i guess i need to find some good books or sites that can teach me the basics about designing clothes

so to my question, do you guys have any good tips, sites, tutorials or whatever to spare i would greatly appreciate it

Cheers!

Replies

• Aabel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel polycounter lvl 6
    I found this line of books helpful: Metric Pattern Cutting

Though to get started I would work from already made patterns, as it's very easy to do, though things won't fit perfectly it will get you going quickly.

Burdastyle
    has some great patterns at low prices, and offers workshops on various topics related to clothing design and pattern making.

Lori Griffiths youtube is a pretty good resource as well (she got kicked from MD's official forums for bullshit reasons). Youtube is a pretty good place in general to find construction and design tips. It's crazy how many things I've learned on youtube that transfer to marvelous designer.

Fortunately fashion is one of those fields where everybody shares knowledge, and everyone reverse engineers everyone else's work so it's pretty easy to figure out how things were done.

If you don't have Adobe Illustrator, I'd get it, it makes a fantastic pattern authoring tool, and is much cheaper than specialized pattern authoring packages.
  • DanielJohnsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DanielJohnsson polycounter lvl 5
    Thank for the tips Aabel, much appreciate it =)