Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ferrari LaFerrari

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
woot polycounter lvl 5
hi, im currently modelling a Ferrari Laferrari, in the later stages of the high poly. looking to get some crit, as well as a list of what i still need to do. some of you in hangouts may have seen me modelling or rendering.

list, highest to lowest priority:

1. smoothing errors fixed, including gaps in geo between pieces,
2. Headlight detailing, really improves the front of the car
3. engine compartment detailing, improves rear view
4. other external details. (changes to wingmirrors especially)
5. Interior. this will complete the car, but not looking forward to do it, if i decide to do it at all.
6. possible improvements to render setup

anyways, without further ado, some renders:

20417876273_25d3e3f415_o.png

21046557691_2e5315c156_o.png

Replies

• ollitei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The most noticeable thing is that the geometry isn't smooth. Every body panel of the car looks bumpy. There's a lot of inconsistencies compared
    to the real car, most notably the area where front fender meets the side skirt and the shoulder line just above the large air intake on the side.
    Yours is bulging outwards quite a lot while on the real car it's the exact opposite. And your wheel arches aren't round.

I'd recommend switching the Turbosmoothing off for now and work on making the geometry smoother and more uniform. Slapping on Turbosmooth doesn't make it high-poly if the extra geometry isn't going towards defining the details and if the base geometry isn't clean.
  • woot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woot polycounter lvl 5
    ollitei wrote: »
    The most noticeable thing is that the geometry isn't smooth. Every body panel of the car looks bumpy. There's a lot of inconsistencies compared
    to the real car, most notably the area where front fender meets the side skirt and the shoulder line just above the large air intake on the side.
    Yours is bulging outwards quite a lot while on the real car it's the exact opposite. And your wheel arches aren't round.

I'd recommend switching the Turbosmoothing off for now and work on making the geometry smoother and more uniform. Slapping on Turbosmooth doesn't make it high-poly if the extra geometry isn't going towards defining the details and if the base geometry isn't clean.

cheers for the crit mate, ill try give it a fix. a lot of the geo on the bodywork is a plane, so it gets the sharper edges where it just drops off. ill take a look into fixing the wheel arches as well.

what do you mean by the shoulder line? do you mean the section above the rear wheel arch?
  • ollitei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woot wrote: »
    what do you mean by the shoulder line? do you mean the section above the rear wheel arch?

Yes, that's the area just between the rear arch and the c-pillar. It's bulging a lot at the moment.

Here's a good simple pic to illustrate the "shoulder line":
    Audi-A1-Sketch.jpg
  • Lugnutz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cVE1yBt.jpg
    Hey Woot,
    So I thought that I would just throw out my two cents on your model.
    First...could we see the wireframe? so we can see how you are going about modeling the body panels.

1. I would say that the biggest thing is your geometry, I agree with ollieti the body panels are buldging and
    causing very "soft" looking shapes. I want to say you need to add some geometry (i will know more after seeing the
    wireframe.)
    2. Things like the wheel wells, I would model those as one piece without the cuts (to start the main base shape) Then
    once I know that I have that ready to go....split it up into the separate pieces (Door / Fender / Bumper etc)
    3. Could you post some of the reference that you are using? You should have that up next to you while you
    model so you could see any innacuracies that may come up.
    4. I also agree with ollieti about it's way to early to be smoothing....get a good base then we can smooth it.
    5. back to the wheel well....You seem to be missing this edge here, this will help with the shape.

Hope this helps, and that it didn't come off "preachy" just trying to help.
  • woot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woot polycounter lvl 5
    cheers for the feedback, dont worry about coming of preachy lol, all help is appreciated.
    i completely rebuilt the rear section of the car today, noticed so many innacuracies. the cars shape is a lot flatter in sections than i thought, so the model looked very soft.

wireframes below, as well as a couple of questions.

o4DT31S.png
    DIIr4RH.png
    qSOunwH.png
    f5YIZUo.png

in a lot of places my geo can be a lot better, especially regarding edge flow. i was wondering if it would be better to model most of the car as one piece, rather than in the seperate panels as i was doing?
    ill get some renders of it up tomorrow to see how the wheel wells look.

references im using below. dealership sights are great for high res references, so these may take a while to load lol

19175719_source.jpg
    2013-03-05_Geneva_Motor_Show_8278.JPG

19175815_source.jpg
    21895298_source.jpg
  • woot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woot polycounter lvl 5
    ihGaEVp.jpg

ok, so a few things im more happy with and a few things im not.

i think the overall shape of the rear section looks a lot better compared to references. however the smoothing is just as fucky as the last time.

- lots of smoothing errors still. rear piece is not smooth enough and just looks bumpy and messy. thinking of ways to improve this, either more geo or less geo is needed (probably more)
    - a few places are missing geo and leaving gaps in the mesh which looks shitty in renders. easy enough fix.
    - the doors im also not happy with smoothing wise.

since this is only going to be a high poly model, is it better to get the edges hard with turbosmooth in comparison to leaving them a bit softer if i was to bake it?
    and would it have been easier to do the bodywork as one piece and then split it up?
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    on a side note, add a material with a cubemap or a HDRI environment that reflects on your materials so you (and everyone) can see the shapes better , its pretty hard to see whats going on
  • ollitei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woot wrote: »
    lots of smoothing errors still. rear piece is not smooth enough and just looks bumpy and messy. thinking of ways to improve this, either more geo or less geo is needed (probably more)

since this is only going to be a high poly model, is it better to get the edges hard with turbosmooth in comparison to leaving them a bit softer if i was to bake it?
    and would it have been easier to do the bodywork as one piece and then split it up?

You don't have to worry about any modeling techniques needed for baking if you're not going to bake anything. Concentrate on replicating the same exact look as in your references and use whatever topology you need to get the correct look.

The bumpiness is because your mesh isn't uniform and the surfaces aren't smooth in your base mesh. There's a lot of excess geometry in your base mesh which makes it more difficult to control (and iterate). The base mesh should be as simple as possible provided it produces the needed shape when it's tessellated and smoothed.

I attached an image where I marked a few areas that need more attention.
  • woot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woot polycounter lvl 5
    46Y6lUO.jpg

so i basically rebuilt the entire front section of the car, as well as the doors in order to get the edge flow better. its still a little complicated, and there are still smoothing errors (-_-) but i do think its better than the last effort. ill get some wireframe shots up tommorow. ive also started adding a few more minor details.

stuff to still do
    - smoothing errors fixed obv
    - joins between pieces are a little weird in some places
    - details such as petrol cap lid on the rear body
    - interior stuff (scary)

with the petrol cap lid, would it be better to model the hole into the mesh itself or use floaters? modelling it in would mess up the smoothing around that point, as well as ruining the edge flow of the back section. any advice?
  • T3DArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    T3DArt null
    h3ImEVW.jpg

Have you ever tried a NURBS Approach for making the vehicle the results end up behind near perfect?

*I am making the same vehicle for a school project xD
  • T3DArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    T3DArt null
    @ Shinigami - If you are directing that at me, then they are in a sense splines but i'm using Maya so they are actually called curves. and Basically i'll use these curves to plot my surface flow and use NURBS modeling tools like Loft, Revolve, Bi-rail, and Boundary to model out the surface of the vehicle. Then towards the end ill convert everything over to polygons.
  • mulley96
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is a really nice car
    keep up the good work
  • theblueturtle_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theblueturtle_ polycounter lvl 3
    @Woot - this attempt looks much better than the first few stills you posted. there are still some areas that look a little "pillowy" but overall it's a giant step in the right direction. The NURBS approach that T3DArt suggested is also a really good alternative that'll give you a super accurate end result. Something to consider but either way you're making great progress
  • doppelmonster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Shinigami
    If you dont have Nurbs Patch function in your 3d app but want to use a spline cage check this tutorial. It helped me a lot.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0YvAuOavx4&feature=channel&list=UL[/ame]
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
    T3DArt wrote: »
    @ Shinigami - If you are directing that at me, then they are in a sense splines but i'm using Maya so they are actually called curves. and Basically i'll use these curves to plot my surface flow and use NURBS modeling tools like Loft, Revolve, Bi-rail, and Boundary to model out the surface of the vehicle. Then towards the end ill convert everything over to polygons.

You can also snap polygons to these splines; (I've done the same method modelling a Bugatti) In regard to using rail and patch, it can be difficult to convert NURBS to Polygons nice and neatly - it will require some cleanup after.

The cool thing about Maya's splines system that isn't in max is that you can control the point amount in an interpolation setting; meaning you can set it to the require amount for the polygons to snap to the verts the spline produces and keep the topology nice and consistent throughout the entire model.

i.e set spline to 8 points, allows 4 quaded polygon planes... can keep on doing this and adjust the spline points at any given moment, creating a lower or higher denser mesh as you work.
  • woot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woot polycounter lvl 5
    cheers for the crit guys.

its not made from splines, but from a butload of vertex manipulation from planes and cylinders.
    ive never used splines before, might look into it if i ever do another car.

wireframe shots below, please take a look and crit anywhere you feel could be improved (with poly density or edge flow or whatever)

zJLg3yl.png
    KZavBzl.png
    H5iXaeD.png
    ynLNWX6.png