Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Unity5: Roman doric temple

ABinhoF
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
ABinhoF polycounter lvl 5
Hey everyone,

Calling this one done, but would like some feedback and critique on it. Modeling is just a hobby for me, but I haven't modeled in ages. This was an attempt to get back in to it. I also wanted to learn Blender, PBR, and mess around with Unity 5's new lighting. It's a Roman temple in the doric order. Wanted to show how colorful their architecture might have been (This is perhaps late-republican/early-imperial.).

My own post-mortem is that I'm fairly happy with the high-poly and low-poly modelling, but I still need work on the baking one to the other. My materials right now are also pretty basic. I'm mostly happy with them though, except for the fact I could have added more detail too them. I feel they look more or less like the materials I was trying to emulate (travertine, plaster, bronze, paint, ceramic tile). They could use more dirt/wear. Perhaps a second UV group for a blended dirt mask or something

For this model, I feel I went overboard in terms of material count. Had 11 total, but I think I could have combined things better and lowered the material count. I could then have also spent more time making each material look better, instead of so much time trying to make so many different materials. I'm decently happy with the lighting - was going for a kind of Mediterranean bright day with a clear blue sky, and the default Unity skybox was good for that. I just bumped up the indirect lighting a bit to brighten things up.

Next models will probably be small props; barrels, amphorae, small architectural details, etc. That way I could practice high to low-poly baking, and spend more time working on materials while still finishing my projects. I'm really bad at finishing projects because I always aim too big!

fbSY9O6.jpgazGQsLo.jpgOsxyG9T.jpg7sZkX0g.jpg

Replies