Home Technical Talk

Machu Picchu Terraces

Hello,

I'm planning on creating the terraces for Machu Picchu like in the image below and needed some advice.

http://imgh.us/33_62.jpg

A) Should I go for a modular set?
B) If I go for a modular set, when I need to sculpt the edges into softer looking ones, then they wouldn't be seamless when putting many of it together.
C) Any other approaches you can recommend?

Replies

• ClusterOne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ClusterOne polycounter lvl 4
    Regardless of which method you choose you can get a cute base like so:

1. Create your base height map in world machine.

2. Stamp height map to subdivided plain in Mudbox (you could really use whatever sculpting application you want--but mudbox is simple and straight forward for the task)

3. Add terraces to the mesh however you choose (you add objects/subtools or sculpt them on manually).

4. Bake out your new height map and toss it in the engine.

Obviously there is an issue of accuracy here. You can only get so much detail out of a height map but it might save you a lot of time you would spend making large modular sections for the terraces. You can instead embellish it with much smaller modular pieces.
  • Maximum-Dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks. I have the heightmap already. The design on the area changes bit by bit so I'd like to have the terraces as separate meshes. I tried with spline distributor in UE4 it works pretty well and seamless but it only looks seamless if edges are hard so they match each other. :(