Home Marmoset

Jaggy Shadows

sWIRLEE
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
sWIRLEE polycounter lvl 18
Hello again,

I'm attempting to compose a shot inside Toolbag and I am getting some really jaggy shadows. Quality settings are turned all the way up as far as I can tell. Any ideas? Thanks!

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Two possible solutions:

1. In the render panel, make sure High-Res Shadows is enabled.
    2. Adjust the light width in the light object properties, you should be able to use this setting to blur the shadows and reduce jaggyness.
  • sWIRLEE
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the quick reply.

So I figured out what was wrong. I was doing early block outs using a model that was broken up into many parts. As soon as I combined the model and re-exported from Maya, nice clean shadows!
  • sWIRLEE
    Offline / Send Message
    Perhaps I spoke too soon. Combining the mesh seemed to have fixed the problem initially. However, an hour or so into editing the scene, just moving models around, not even messing with lighting or rendering settings, I saw a visual pop of the shadows reverting back to this very jaggy look. High-Res Shadows are on, occlusion settings are normal, but when I adjust the light's width in the shape settings, nothing changes. Any new ideas? If i create a new test scene, bring in the same model and materials and setup a quick lighting scheme similar to what I have everything behaves accordingly.
  • sWIRLEE
    Offline / Send Message
    Made a gif linked below to better illustrate what is going on and also attached a screenshot of the model loaded in new scene with sky light and one directional to show that the shadows behave correctly at first, then at some point the light breaks and the scene no longer lights correctly.

http://i.imgur.com/3rmp5fR.gif

• EarthQuake
    Hmm that's very interesting. What video card do you have? One thing you can try is installing the latest video drivers.
  • ostyascukor
    i just brought up this topic instead opening a new one

i have some similar problem:

http://s16.postimg.org/66o3d6o5x/marmo_jaggyshadow.jpg

details:
    -16bit png displacement map (i tried with 8 bit tga. same result)
    -tesselation: PN triangles (512 but i tried even 2048 doesn't work)
    -direct light (so no falloff, size ect matters)
    -high res shadow enabled
    -mesh: cylinder, plane, box (scaling 100x up/down, triangulation, same result)
    -vcard: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
    -DirectX 11.1 KB2670838

btw i tried it with simple lowpoly mesh (no displacement) and it gives the same result:
    http://s14.postimg.org/68trylvyp/marmo_jaggyshadow_02.jpg

as far as i can check, my meshes are ok (no problem in unity for example)

anything i missed? :)

please help me, this bug just killing me :P

• ostyascukor
    hmm, forum is not so frequented, isn't it?
    i thought toolbag is an industrial standard :P

last try, anybody?
  • EarthQuake
    hmm, forum is not so frequented, isn't it?
    i thought toolbag is an industrial standard :P

last try, anybody?
    Did you try the suggestions in this thread?

Specifically, make sure high res shadows is enabled, and adjust the width of the light to convert the light into an area light, which will allow you to blur the shadows which can help reduce jaggedness.

You can try turning off contact refinement in the light properties as well.

Omni and spot lights tend to have better shadow map distribution too, so if you're using a directional light, try one of those instead.
  • ostyascukor
    high res shadow is enabled
    i'll try those other light types

i didn't check the suggestions, you mean i should post there?
    (ok i don't find the suggestions? what and where are they?)

thanks for the reply!
  • EarthQuake
    high res shadow is enabled
    i'll try those other light types

i didn't check the suggestions, you mean i should post there?
    (ok i don't find the suggestions? what and where are they?)

thanks for the reply!
    Hey, I just meant my post earlier in this thread, but I think I rewrote them in my other post so it was redundant, sorry for the confusion.