Home Quixel Megascans

Super Shiny 3do

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
programmer23 polycounter lvl 6
On some of my models that I import to work on in quixel, I get parts of the model that seem super shiny, and cause generation errors. On this ammo box, this is what I see in quixel.

ZrljAFl.jpg

Most of it looks fine except for the sides, they look correct both in blender and in UE4. Is there some setting that I am missing, this is the normal map

IGE7S7N.jpg

I know it looks wrong there, but that is just to compensate for the large tris that make up the sides of the box, and it looks correct in unreal.

Please help. :poly122:

Replies

• Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    I can't see the images you posted, but I'll assume that you have several mesh groups in your model. Try combining everything into a single object before you export it to DDO, and then reload the mesh afterward. If it's still giving you trouble, try making a new project with a single meshgroup in your *.OBJ
  • loggie24
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    loggie24 polycounter lvl 3
    You have bad UV's. You need to make seperate UV islands wherever there are smoothing splits.

highligthed areas are the most noteicable.

IGE7S7N_zpsyscvglw4.jpg
  • programmer23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, everything is together as one obj and meshgroup.

Loggie. I don't quite understand what you are saying, that is a beveled edge, not a smoothing split.
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Everything is together, as in you combined the model into one object after I mentioned it? Or was it already like that before? I found a workaround to see your images (my work filter is being a bit wonky) and it looks like a classic case of several meshgroups. 3DO only functions properly with one, IIRC - I've had multiple meshgroups in projects before and I noticed that it gave the option to switch between the actively displayed group.
  • loggie24
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    loggie24 polycounter lvl 3
    Look at this http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107196

Basically, your box has hard edges. Wherever there are hard edges there tend to be a smoothing split. If you are unwrapping a box, all the 6 sides need to be seperate UV islands, not attached to each other like your UV sheet shows us (where i highlighted). But it can be hard to understand so read a bit in the thread i linked.

It's pretty obvious that it's the main reason unless something i overlooked, since the normals are all messed up on your biggest island. Beveled or not it doesn't matter since it looks like the HP is beveled. As long as the LP isn't there is your problem.
  • programmer23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Everything was one object in blender when I exported it, is there some obj export setting that I should be checking in blender?

Loggie, thanks for the tip with the UV edges, I am working in blender so Im not sure how the smoothing groups work there. it all displays properly in blender though so I'm not sure if that's the issue.