Home General Discussion

How much time does it take for you?

Hello,

Simple question, if you are a good artist how much time does it take for you to A)model and B)texture such bunkers? Please don't add A and B together. (modular, just like the one posted below). (Textures would be realistic style).

1_2827.png

2_590.png

Replies

• WarrenM
    This can't be answered without more context. Target platform? Texture resolution? Art style?
  • Maximum-Dev
    WarrenM wrote: »
    This can't be answered without more context. Target platform? Texture resolution? Art style?

Alright thanks for letting me know.
    PC, 2k-4k texture resolution. Realistic style.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Get a simple modular building made up of 5 pieces, working, unwrapped, and in engine? Less than an hour.

Create a simple tiling texture? 30 minutes. Create a 3 unique texture with some love and care, 2-4 hours. Creating multiple textures, use vertex blending and masking, decals, etc, 6+ hours.
  • DireWolf
    Is something like this what you're going for?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/76/Normandy_bunker_command_post.JPG

Without variations - maybe 30 minutes to plan each pieces and model. 20-30 minutes of UV. Less than an hour to texture with 3D-Coat/Painter. 15-20 minutes to assemble them in engine.
  • Autocon
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Still other questions need to be answered first.

1. What time period was this made? Medieval times? WW2, Modern Day, Future?
    2. What is it made out of? Wood, Concrete, Metal...
    3. Do you go inside?
    4. How close do you get to it?
    5. How damaged is the structure?
    6. Is it abandoned or upkept

All important questions to be asked as they will all alter how long the task will take to complete.

"Realistic" isnt an exactly art style and can be a large spectrum of things. Crysis is realistic, things in the game look photo real, but its sci fi. Rise is also realistic as everything looks photo real and is set in the time of the Romans. So be careful when using "realistic" to mean modern day.

Determining exactly what it is you need to create will help determine how long a project is going to take you and what you do in terms of creating it with modular assets/unique geo.

I will use the style of bunker DireWolf posted in a COD/Battlefield aesthetic/construction and use that as the example as I feel thats what you were going for. This is how I would describe a bunker kinda like that... https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/76/Normandy_bunker_command_post.JPG

World War 2 era bunker made entirely of concrete and possibly some exposed rebar. Bunker is photo realistic in a modern day setting. The player never goes into the bunker but gets right up next to it so they can see slightly inside. The player can walk around the entire bunker. It is semi abandoned on the beach with a bit of foliage overgrowth here and there. It has medium to large scale damage on one corner due to mortar fire and medium to small wear and tear throughout the rest of it including erosion of concrete and bullet holes. Targeting PC/PS4/Xbone system with 2 to 4k texture resolution.

Thats a lot, but thats the description I would give if I wanted an accurate approximation of my time/what is required. And based off that description, I would realistically give myself 2 days to complete the task.

Now how on to actually build that, the "modular" approcah you are showing off in your blockmesh makes zero sense on how you would actually build something like this. In reality this asset would be be made up of almost no modular parts and in fact the bunker itself in its entirety would be the modular asset you would use in the game. You dont need to have EVERY wall peice be modular, nor every corner or roof peice. In fact that makes it even harder to seam all up. That kind of modular approach could only work for Sci Fi really.

How I would make that...

I do a blockout of the entire thing, then I would do a medium detail pass getting the large to medium sized details I want in there like. A much more refined blockout if you will. I would then take that, throw it in game, see how my proportions are looking, make adjustments where I need to.

I would then do a first pass of medium to small modeling detail on HALF of the entire structure. Why just half? Well you can only at most see it from 2 sides at one time. So only 2 sides need to be truly "unique". This will save me time as after I do a first pass on the destruction details I can duplicate the half I made, rotate it to the otherside, seam the bunker up where it needs to be and then I am ready for my final detail pass.

You only see 2 sides at max so you wont notice the duplicated work. For the final detail pass I will add different damage to the entire structure to mask the fact that I made half and just duplicated it. It now appears like I have unqiue damage over the entire bunker when in reality I just made half, duped the bunker and then added in some masking details to cover that up.

For Textures I would have 5 to 6 tiling textures for this bad boy.
    1 large stone concrete texture.
    1 concrete texture that is concrete and small pebbles, no brick lines.
    1 Sand texture.
    1 Rough/broken up concrete texture.
    1 large grunge/stain texture
    1 rebar texture (this would be really small)

I would then use heightmap blends/vertex blending to texture this guy. I am going on the assumption that we are on PC/PS4/Xbone tech and thats what you do.

These are some of the things I would have blending with eachother.
    Large Concrete Stones to Large Grunge Stains
    Large Concrete Stones to Sand
    Large Concrete Stones to Small Pebble Concrete
    Large Concrete Stones to Broken Concrete
    Small Pebble Concrete to Broken Concrete...

So on and so forth for whatever you need. This is basically how you build next gen assets using tiling textures/blends and modular pieces.

The entire building doesn't need to be made of modular pieces and generally never is. It is more difficult to make and mask the fact that its made of modular parts. Things such a doors, window frames, small props are modular assets added to unqiue walls, floors and celins of a building.

Walls and floors are generally unique so you can get the best blending on them. They are supplemented by modular props so you are not making everything. But to get great blends you do need unique geo. (this isnt to say that all wall pieces are unique as lots are made modularly and used to build up part of the building) But there are many buildings made up of unique geo. It depends on the asset you are creating.

Hope this helps :D

-Anthony

/end
  • DireWolf
    Great insight Anthony! Enjoyed reading your post. Thank you :)
  • Yonderboy
    Offline / Send Message
    Yonderboy polycounter lvl 6
    yeah, wow - that was really interesting!
  • xChris
    Offline / Send Message
    xChris polycounter lvl 9
    Dang, Anthony dropping all that knowledge like this airbending priest

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVG98f8NL5g[/ame]
  • Maximum-Dev
    Yeah that was a nice post clearing up a lot of things. Thanks man.
    And thanks to the rest too. :)
  • DavidCruz
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    xChris wrote: »
    Dang, Anthony dropping all that knowledge like this airbending priest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVG98f8NL5g

Holy shit! take Ex is what I heard.
    Dude kamahamahaaaa'd their butts, ty i needed that, awesome.