Replies

• WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    This stuff looks neat in a marketing video to be sure but it remains to be seen how useful this stuff will really be in production. Blender has had pretty robust dynamic topology sculpting and booleans for quite a while that is great for creating larger shapes but it's still not a substitute for Zbrush and Mudbox in production because the performance just isn't there.

Maya also is probably not going to be the only package out there with data-driven retopology capabilities. It's just too useful for other programs to leave it on the table and I would be shocked if 3D-Coat didn't implement something similar.
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    Anyone notice that they only speak about MAYA, not a single time about max, i think it settle up the war, they are indeed going to end up killing max.
  • Mant1k0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mant1k0re polycounter lvl 8
    Yeah. At some point they have to realize some pretty major studios are using Max and nothing else and probably will not be willing to switch to Maya.

Or maybe I'm just bitter because I'm a Max user too.

Between this and the sub only thing next year, I find myself playing with Blender and reading Modo threads lately.
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    I only skimmed through the video but does it show any improvements in hard surface modelling? Not really seeing any reason to switch from Modo or even Max to Maya in this video.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
    If maya gets sculpting like that and it's fairly easy to use ad intuitive like zbrush i'll switch from blender 100%
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Wow... These sculpting features are so impressive. Personally I really miss some of these features from ZBrush.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    Autodesk needs to do something or people are going to jump ship
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Well, they are trying to do everything (photo scanning, sculpting, game engine, etc)
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Waiting for Zbrush 5R :P
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    Autodesk needs to do something or people are going to jump ship

chillzone
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    this iritates me. I alwasy thought I never needed autodesk in my life and this thing proves me wrong.

However,y ou can really sense they want to replace every company out there. Looks like they really wanna start a lil contest against zbrsuh here (how dare they?).

But if they devlop it that far, it certianly means the end of Mudbox..

Edit: I'm glad to see all these new tools available to modelers on every software.Every is bing made to facilitate their life.

However, I'd like more tools be available for artist in other branches of Computer graphics.

I mean when will a software build automated advanced rigging tools so that animators can create their own advanced rig (better stuff than human IK plz) without programming?

Or even animation, I'm still waiting for a software to promote the Pixar way of animating; instead of selecting curves controls, you directly click on the limb you wanna control giving the artist a clean and simple UI?

They still have a few to go before becoming the ''perfect'' software.
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    Maybe one day, we'll have something like this in Maya

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnFSVx7NhmM[/ame]

Or akeytsu...
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    "Autodesk is going to kill max" is probably the oldest rumor in the CG industry. I first heard it in 2003.
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    Joost wrote: »
    I only skimmed through the video but does it show any improvements in hard surface modelling? Not really seeing any reason to switch from Modo or even Max to Maya in this video.

They are, but they had nothing to show yet ( it's the last portion of the video)

@blond: Man you keep doing the same thing every on polycount every time i read something from you i facepalm myself on how ignorant you are about few things but still make statement about those things.

"the end of mudbox" They are just bringing it into their main software because almost no one is buying mudbox itself. Also "how dare they", like seriously ? Competition is really important in software development it's what drives and push development further.

Keep dreaming,it just DOESN'T work like this in the industry, no fucking studio want to pay 10 different software for every goddamn person, and fight with the compatibility issue. Also as an artist I don'T want that either, who would want that, people are doing it atm because of the need " this don'T do that and this cost too much to afford it so used this kind of thing"

"I mean when will a software build automated advanced rigging tools so that animators can create their own advanced rig (better stuff than human IK plz) without programming?"

When will a software build automated advanced animation will be out so character artist doesn't have to find an animator to animate it ? Or a sofware build automated character modeler so animator can work alone in their studio ?We should just build a perfect software that does everything by itself :D

Just re-read yourself. Also Automated rig will never be as good as a real rigger, also automated doesn't fix bug by itself.
    "Autodesk is going to kill max" is probably the oldest rumor in the CG industry. I first heard it in 2003.
    Pretty sure they are just going to end up merging both of them, have you see how much maya is becoming max with a more intuitive interface nowadays ? Maya isn't maya anymore either.
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    Odow wrote: »
    They are, but they had nothing to show yet ( it's the last portion of the video)

@blond: Man you keep doing the same thing every on polycount every time i read something from you i facepalm myself on how ignorant you are about few things but still make statement about those things.

"the end of mudbox" They are just bringing it into their main software because almost no one is buying mudbox itself. Also "how dare they", like seriously ? Competition is really important in software development it's what drives and push development further.

Keep dreaming,it just DOESN'T work like this in the industry, no fucking studio want to pay 10 different software for every goddamn person, and fight with the compatibility issue. Also as an artist I don'T want that either, who would want that, people are doing it atm because of the need " this don'T do that and this cost too much to afford it so used this kind of thing"

"I mean when will a software build automated advanced rigging tools so that animators can create their own advanced rig (better stuff than human IK plz) without programming?"

When will a software build automated advanced animation will be out so character artist doesn't have to find an animator to animate it ? Or a sofware build automated character modeler so animator can work alone in their studio ?We should just build a perfect software that does everything by itself :D

Just re-read yourself. Also Automated rig will never be as good as a real rigger, also automated doesn't fix bug by itself.

Pretty sure they are just going to end up merging both of them, have you see how much maya is becoming max with a more intuitive interface nowadays ? Maya isn't maya anymore either.

Hey bro, sorry but I think you got my message wrong.

"the end of mudbox" They are just bringing it into their main software because almost no one is buying mudbox itself. Also "how dare they", like seriously ? Competition is really important in software development it's what drives and push development further.''

When I said ''how dare they'', it was kind of a joke. Zbrush is so advanced and has so many tools in the sclupting department that it takes alot of nerves and courage to build similar tools in a software. Basically, I'm kinda appluading the courage they have to wirte advanced sclupting tools like these.

About automated rigs, I never meant to replace tech animators and riggers, they are an important pillar into CG, but it would always nice to have more available tools and constraints so that animators who wanna build their won character instead of always using pre-made rigs can build their cartoon rigs with limb stretching/IK-FK ,etc. without going in the node or expression editor...
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Odow wrote: »
    Er,..... no software is really what it was if they keep developing.
  • Matt Fagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matt Fagan polycounter lvl 10
    To make somethings clear, incase it wasn't from those who skimmed through the video. Autodesk is essentially going to try 2 major things with Maya.

1.) ADF Voxel tech for Maya. So yes, Mudbox itself will be merged into Maya. Less teams for different software products, and in turn. More productivity for software development. Especially for the greater good of animation & technical software w/ sculpting packages, not being any longer a separate deal for purchase & support.

2.) The whole "tree" bit if you listen to it. Is a new approach to "Modifier Stack" model editing in the Maya package. So yes, this could hint the idea that Autodesk supporting 2 major team departments for identical software should just Merge them completely, or quietly remove one and focus all its creative & financial efforts to just one. In this case, Maya.

All around if 3ds Max users here were to come to terms with Autodesk. That their decision is to eventually remove 3ds Max as it's own program entirely.Then to become just Maya for the entertainment industry. Autodesk will be doing a very good thing (And no, it's not because 3ds Max dies like softimage…) but simply because whatever new ideas they now have. They can consolidate it to just one 3D/Animation package. Which means, with every new release, there is new & improved features, and a lot more polishing for existing bugs.

Better yet, one place for everyone to complain about things ever taking a bad turn. So less confusion and better communication all around, and at the end. A better Autodesk we all will love, and then The Foundry will have something to ensure their ego's aren't getting too large for updating their modeling tools.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I do agree, having one main 3d application for Autodesk is a good thing (they still should of sold off Softimage or never bought it, if they were just going to kill it).

But having EVERYTHING in one application never seams like the ideal solution. It slows down iteration and innovation, does Maya have the leading unwrapping, packing, baking, viewport, and procedural texture tools? No, applications that are dedicated to those features, and improving them, do it better.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    video removed, I wonder for what reason.
  • ant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ant
    Yeah WTF Why was it removed?!! answers dammit!
  • lefix
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Just finished watching the video. Tech looks awesome.

One strong message that came across (and probably he says exactly this):
    Automation and strong tools allow you to focus your time on making kickass art, and spend less time fighting to get the tools to do what you want.

Remember this any time you ask stupid questions like "is using dDo cheating?" :P
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, yes, nicely said. Powerful tools mean less futzing around with technical details and more time making art.
  • ant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ant
    I still cant understand why they have removed it from you tube.
    Autodesk even removed it from the Autodesk Vision Series playlist??!!

they better not be reneging on this because of backlash butt-hurtery.
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    Because that was probably an inside conference that was leak ?
  • lefix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    on their own youtube channel? :P

That aside, I am impressed. I didn't expect something like this coming from autodesk :D
    I am still a bit skeptical for 2 reasons, though. We don't know well the viewport can handle sculpting on the performance, will you be able to replace mudbox with that? is it cabable of displaying a full character with details? In the demo they don't go too crazy with it.
    Also, the tech itself isn't anything new or groundbreaking. Programs like blender were able to do similar things like people pointed out. But is it actually well integrated?. It is a recorded replay from a static camera angle that doesn't really show you how many menus the artist clicks through to get the job done. Is it really comfortable to sculpt within maya?
  • SarahGadondeestas
    any idea where someone can find this video? its vanished from the internet.