Home Adobe Substance

Is my substance painter slower than intended?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
daniellooartist polycounter lvl 11
Hey guys. I have a quick question for you guys. My substance designer appears to be painting very slowly. Each time I attempt to make a brush stroke, I receive a few seconds of lag. If I make enough strokes then all of the strokes eventually start showing up in due time. Normally when this happends there could be two general causes.

1: Outdated PC hardware: I doubt this is the case. I have a 6 core Intel CPU with 32GB of RAM. As for my video card I have a GeForce 980GTX so I can't imagine this being an issue.
2: Conflicts with other programs: I had Painter, Marmoset and a game running. That could be it right? I closed everything down and restarted substance. Same result.

I began to dig a little deeper. It turns out that if I disable my 2 "rust" fill layers I get strokes that keep up with me. I don't know why this would slow everything down so much. My first rust fill layer is a 4096^2 texture map of "rust." It has a 4096 Targa mask that I manually painted in Photoshop. The second layer is a yellow fill layer with the same mask and a height displacement. The difference in time between strokes with/without these layers visible are entire seconds. Is this normal or is there some tweak I forgot to do?

Replies

• Aabel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel polycounter lvl 6
    Yup it's normal.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    No ,it's not normal :)

Are you painting on a layer itself on all the channels at once or on a layer mask?
    Does the performance improve when you just hide the layers or when you delete them only?
  • Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    Substance is slow compared to Mudbox, Zbrush, 3dcoat in 4k texture painting.
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    I find that layers lower down the stack tend to be laggier. Moving it to the top usually fixes this for me.
  • SwdPwnzDggr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SwdPwnzDggr polycounter lvl 7
    Totally not normal, the only time I've ever really seen slowdown in painter was either back in beta, or when I use a heavy particle brush on my laptop which has older hardware.
  • Thane-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thane- polycounter lvl 3
    Happens to me too, but sporadically. Doesn't seem to be a global performance issue either, but an issue that crops up only under certain circumstances. Sometimes its buttery smooth and all of a sudden there is massive lag that won't go away. Im not a long time user of Painter but have done a couple projects. I would be nice if you could "zip" (flatten?) underlying folders like you do in DDO. Im nt using my 570SLI system though, i only used it on my laptop which has a 3GB 555GTX and solid CPU. It accesses the HD, thats what bothers me, while not using either my 3GB of vid ram, or my 16GB of sys ram.
  • daniellooartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc wrote: »
    No ,it's not normal :)

Are you painting on a layer itself on all the channels at once or on a layer mask?
    Does the performance improve when you just hide the layers or when you delete them only?

This happens regardless of the layer I'm painting on. As long as my "rust" layer is visible then the issue occurs. I don't have to delete the rust layer for a performance increase. I just have to disable it's visibility. The actual rust texture being masked is a PNG while the mask is a TGA. I tried unifying the formats to TGA in case some weird file format issues happened but that did not appear to do much
  • Axcel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axcel polycounter lvl 14
    I will be building new PC next month and substance painter becomes part of my pipeline. What PC part has biggest influence on performance in this app?
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    This happens regardless of the layer I'm painting on. As long as my "rust" layer is visible then the issue occurs. I don't have to delete the rust layer for a performance increase. I just have to disable it's visibility. The actual rust texture being masked is a PNG while the mask is a TGA. I tried unifying the formats to TGA in case some weird file format issues happened but that did not appear to do much

Ok, a 4k layer visibility should not affect performances that much especially if it's not procedural. Would you be able to send me a minimal repro project for me to look at?
    Axcel wrote: »
    I will be building new PC next month and substance painter becomes part of my pipeline. What PC part has biggest influence on performance in this app?

The GPU is what is going to be the bottleneck. Make sure you have 3GB of VRAM if you want to be comfortable painting in high resolution. Also 12 or 16GB of Ram, but this is pretty standard nowadays.
  • daniellooartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can do that. Would you need the images as well or just the substance file? The reason i ask is because I'm afraid all the links will break. They all exist in the same folder but I'm not sure if substance uses relative filepaths or just links using the full path (C : \Users\SpiffyDee\Desktop\Mailbox).
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One tip is to start Painter first. If you open a bunch of other apps that need the graphics card and THEN Painter, it can slow it down a lot. Opening it first allows it to grab what video ram it needs.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moved this thread from Tech Talk into the Allegorithmic section.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    I can do that. Would you need the images as well or just the substance file? The reason i ask is because I'm afraid all the links will break. They all exist in the same folder but I'm not sure if substance uses relative filepaths or just links using the full path (C : \Users\SpiffyDee\Desktop\Mailbox).

A Painter project embeds everything it needs, so you don't have to worry about links or dependencies.
  • daniellooartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Go nuts guys. You guys can do whatever you want with the asset itself including using it in your own game. I'm just doing material studies

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w0g89y3j48oow7q/Mailbox2.spp?dl=0
  • Matt Fagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matt Fagan polycounter lvl 10
    I just want to bump this and say I've had many MASSIVE SLOW DOWNS (I'm caps-locking it to really emphasize the situation.) alone from painting on 2k textures. With "Shader parameters" set to "low". What I typically do is, create a fill layer, and apply a black mask to that fill layer. Then brush in what I want visible. How I am getting super poor performance is beyond me.

No pun intended, but I openly point my finger at poor programming logic from Allegorithmic's behalf on this issue. For the simplistic nature of what I am doing for texture painting through mask channels. It's rather absurd should my software slow down at all. Considering I'm using a beefy system (much similar to (daniellooartist) as stated for this thread.

This is just me, but I feel like Painter needs "Modes" to enter to use certain things. Just to cut the cost of heavier things from running in the background while doing more simplistic bits. I get that the goal is to make a super painting package. But I can't help but to wonder if whats running under the hood of the software the heaviest is the "Physical painting brushes". Which I hardly ever use.

I only hope Allegorithmic will cease most of its efforts on Designer, and assert every effort into fixing & bring Painter to what its original intent is to become. If otherwise from that, just merge the two. It's pretty bad already that the two have 2 different baking algorithms for reading to-be-mirrored geometry.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Matt Fagan wrote: »
    I just want to bump this and say I've had many MASSIVE SLOW DOWNS
    We are currently hard working on performance with high resolutions. We found that performance vary dramatically when using different GPU drivers versions. Painting speed is much much better with older drivers for some reason and we are working on that.
    One thing should help a lot if you have a NVidia GPU: In the 3D Settings, turn off the Threaded Optimization option (it is on Auto by default).
    Please let me know if you see any performance improvement.
    It's pretty bad already that the two have 2 different baking algorithms for reading to-be-mirrored geometry.
    Could you elaborate on this please? Both Painter and Designer share the same codebase for the baking and there should be no difference at all between the 2.
  • Matt Fagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Could you elaborate on this please? Both Painter and Designer share the same codebase for the baking and there should be no difference at all between the 2.

I've experienced when baking a normal map on half'd geometry w/ uv's (including both sided geo, with mirrored uv's in the 2nd uv set in flipped status.) Substance Painter, the seams are flawless. When I bake a normal map in substance designer. The seams are very present.

My co-worker who had used substance at work brought this up numerous times. I had to see for myself if the results were that, and they still are unfortunately.
  • Matt Fagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One thing should help a lot if you have a NVidia GPU: In the 3D Settings, turn off the Threaded Optimization option (it is on Auto by default).
    Please let me know if you see any performance improvement.

Where is this setting located in Painter? I can't find it, and the online documentation only searches "substance designer" for said search "Threaded Optimization".
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Would you be able to share a mesh that causes this particular issue?
    Where is this setting located in Painter? I can't find it, and the online documentation only searches "substance designer" for said search "Threaded Optimization".

Sorry, this is a setting in the NVidia Control Panel.
  • Altea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Altea polycounter lvl 6
    We are currently hard working on performance with high resolutions. We found that performance vary dramatically when using different GPU drivers versions. Painting speed is much much better with older drivers for some reason and we are working on that.

What versions of the Nvidia drivers are those? I would not mind to return to older versions if that makes quicker painter.
  • oblomov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oblomov polycounter lvl 8
    The 340 series of drivers used to give Painter better performances. We are currently investigating why they went down with the 350 series.
  • daniellooartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can share the file. Sorry for the late response. Got buried in the inbox.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3j4udyd7hqlxi8g/lowMailbox.fbx?dl=0
  • Nexinumbra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nexinumbra polycounter lvl 12
    Did anyone ever resolve anything with these issues? I keep running into something similar where if I'm painting a mask for a Fill Layer it will often times start showing the red progress bar constantly if I am painting a lot without picking up my pen. After awhile it just becomes obnoxiously slow. I have a 980 Ti, so I don't think it's an issue there.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Did anyone ever resolve anything with these issues? I keep running into something similar where if I'm painting a mask for a Fill Layer it will often times start showing the red progress bar constantly if I am painting a lot without picking up my pen. After awhile it just becomes obnoxiously slow. I have a 980 Ti, so I don't think it's an issue there.
    Did you look at our performance page ? https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/display/SPDOC/Performances