Home General Discussion

Should i be working in PBR from now on?

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Thane- polycounter lvl 3
I am making things for my portfolio and am wondering if PBR is going to completely take over. I'd like to take advantage of Quixel and Substance Designer/Painter as well and know they can get amazing results, but I'm wondering how thoroughly its worth knowing the normal spec/gloss route. I hear gloss isn't even used sometimes.

I've made many things using specular maps, but not gloss. I feel comfortable using PRB in Substance Painter though. Am i missing something not working with gloss much though?

#2 I can afford Quixel btw and already own Substance Painter, am i crazy not to own Quixel already?

Replies

• slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    It already has taken over so yes, you should most definitely be doing everything in a PBR engine now...
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    The way I see it, it's either going all out PBR, or minimalistic diffuse hand-painted look.

Also, I believe Substance is far superior to Quixel. If you already own Substance, there's little reason to get Quixel too.
  • clinington
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    clinington polycounter lvl 10
    Yes! The two workflows (Specular and Metalness) both have their own pros and cons and some artists prefer using one to the other. However, in my opinion I think it is good to familiarise yourself with both. Quixel suite is great but it does seem that more people prefer Substance, although I may be wrong about that.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes you should learn about physically based rendering principals.
    Thane- wrote: »
    I'm wondering how thoroughly its worth knowing the normal spec/gloss route. I hear gloss isn't even used sometimes.

PBR doesn't refer to a specific set of map types/texture inputs, it's more of a holistic rendering system. With a PBR system you may have albedo/metalness/roughness, or you may have diffuse/specular/gloss. The differences are not actually very big.

Give these a read:

http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/pbr-theory
    http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/pbr-practice
    http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/pbr-conversion
  • Thane-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thane- polycounter lvl 3
    One of my problems with Substance is that i feel like i am working with the textures with robotic arms using a remote control through a glass window. With Photoshop i feel like there is no glass window and i can get in there and move textures around precisely and quickly. I was hoping with Quixel i could rotate/cut/crop textures quickly to get nice specific wear in certain areas like normal, in addition to using their procedural ability (please correct me if i am wrong). I can't imagine how you'd do that in Substance.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18
    Unfortunately, if that's your issue with SubstanceD, then I should mention that Quixel has its own "working via remote control on a texture" problems. Quixel can do really neat things, and you *can* work directly on the textures (especially in nDO, which I dig a lot), but I've found it's very easy to confuse the plugin and mess things up (or crash). The plugin is building and managing all the different maps FOR you, and it really doesn't like you to divorce those maps too much from what it thinks they should be. So, in that regard, you might find yourself with similar issues with Quixel.
  • Thane-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thane- polycounter lvl 3
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    PBR doesn't refer to a specific set of map types/texture inputs, it's more of a holistic rendering system. With a PBR system you may have albedo/metalness/roughness, or you may have diffuse/specular/gloss. The differences are not actually very big.

Yeah, I would imagine the changes within an engine are fairly small unless they add something like image based lighting. One thing i noticed though is that the diffuse can look very different than its final result. Im used to painting the diffuse map by painting what i think the final result will look like, or at least more so. A dielectric blue metal for example look very different compared to its final look in the renderer.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I would imagine the changes within an engine are fairly small unless they add something like image based lighting. One thing i noticed though is that the diffuse can look very different than its final result. Im used to painting the diffuse map by painting what i think the final result will look like, or at least more so. A dielectric blue metal for example look very different compared to its final look in the renderer.

Nearly all PBR systems use IBL.

There is no such thing as a "dielectric metal", those two properties are mutually exclusive. Raw metals are never dialectic or insulators. It's important to remember that you're representing the top layer of a material. So a metal with that is coated with plastic/rubber, painted, or oxidized (rusted) would be an insulator and will generally reflect light in the same manner as non-metallics.

The diffuse map for pure metals will typically be black, because metals do not diffuse light, they get all of their color from reflections. This isn't really exclusive to PBR systems, even with old school shaders this principal applies, it's just that many artists would give metallic materials both a bright diffuse and specular pass, which never looks quite right.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    One of my problems with Substance is that i feel like i am working with the textures with robotic arms using a remote control through a glass window. With Photoshop i feel like there is no glass window and i can get in there and move textures around precisely and quickly. I was hoping with Quixel i could rotate/cut/crop textures quickly to get nice specific wear in certain areas like normal, in addition to using their procedural ability (please correct me if i am wrong). I can't imagine how you'd do that in Substance.

But in Quixel, you cannot rotate the texture because Photoshop doesn't allow rotation of the overlay texture effect thingy thing..
  • Cay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 5
    Substance certainly comes with a little different mindset if you are used to photoshop. That's my personal experience atleast.
    You have to give up some of the control you are used to, but you get some powerful tools in exchange and the biggest pro: You work on all the maps at once instead of copying everything over to make the different maps. It's also pretty cool to use the different noises in the height input to get some quick normal detail.

I personally hate quixel only for the photoshop plugin part, it's quite annoying sometimes. I still use nDo2 and 3Do quite often if I want to preview something directly out of photoshop. So yeah I don't regret having both.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    If you want something more like photoshop look at using substance painter.

https://www.allegorithmic.com/products/substance-painter

It sounds more like you're using substance designer to me.
  • Thane-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thane- polycounter lvl 3
    sprunghunt wrote: »
    If you want something more like photoshop look at using substance painter.

It sounds more like you're using substance designer to me.

Its Painter im talking about when i refer to the sort of disconnect and lack of control i feel vs manipulating things with photoshop. For me at least. I would really like to be moving textures around to create my specific details in various areas. And I'd like to create text and have it be effected by the existing wear masks without going to another program.
  • Thane-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thane- polycounter lvl 3
    That's precisely why it's so important to always be open to new workflows, and not get locked into one way of doing things.
    What is?

edit: You mean trying different things in general?
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    I have never been able to get a weathered sword to look any good because I SUCK at spec and gloss. Tried out quixel for the first time and bang, pure magic!

I have no idea why you wouldn't use the texturing apps available they are jaw dropping. Also I have noticed you can use presets as a start point and endlessly tweak if you need to. Being able to see stuff realtime is an incredible way to work. Also press the gogo button and 4 or 5 maps get updated in one go. Try doing that manually.
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    What is?

edit: You mean trying different things in general?

Yes. I believe that he is also refering to the fact that the more locked you are into a certain workflow the less compatible you will be with certain studios with very specific workflows.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Its Painter im talking about when i refer to the sort of disconnect and lack of control i feel vs manipulating things with photoshop. For me at least. I would really like to be moving textures around to create my specific details in various areas. And I'd like to create text and have it be effected by the existing wear masks without going to another program.

Don't try finding an alpha and omega tool, its not meant to replace photoshop and you will get best results combining those tools. Procedual is at its best to do the rough 80% and have a great base, then add the important layer of polish per hand. It is possible, but dont expect to trump a combination by just using a single tool out of convenience. Its just about convenience right ?
  • ironbelly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbelly polycounter lvl 9
    We pretty much use PBR, at least in part, of everything these days.
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    I hope PBR trend /approach being extremely inflexible, locked everywhere and producing so much of artifacts would once pass away.

An experience artist doesn't need a system that corrects his/her errors.

PBR was created not as a tool for artist convenience to make his/her life easier but rather as an automated solution to eliminate a necessity of experienced artist at all for the price of having higher resolution/repetitive textures to cover edge artifacts + more real time calculations.
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    I wouldnt really call PBR a "tool", its a rendering pipeline. You can put whatever you want, however you want into it. How good it looks regardless of workflow is entirely dependent on the artist, like always.
    Literally the way I produce content has not changed at all. I still make my spec/gloss the same and my color map is basically the same minus AO.
    The metalness workflow is really the only "new" thing end even then its not that hard of a concept to grasp, especially if youre using something like DDO.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop wrote: »
    PBR was created not as a tool for artist convenience to make his/her life easier but rather as an automated solution to eliminate a necessity of experienced artist at all for the price of having higher resolution/repetitive textures to cover edge artifacts + more real time calculations.

The purpose of PBR is to unify the pipeline which makes art asset creation and art direction/lighting more consistent and efficient. It's not there to rob artists of freedom, if you're feeling hugely restricted by it that's probably because you were doing illogical stuff that tends looks bad to begin with, like making both your specular and diffuse inputs bright for metals.

PBR has nothing to do with resolution, repetitive textures, edge artifacts or anything like that. Those are all technique specific issues that are not mutually exclusive or inclusive to PBR.

I've said this countless times, but the metalness workflow does not = PBR. You can do PBR without metalness, and you can do metalness without PBR. The metalness workflow is simply one method of mapping reflectivity, it has various pros/cons.
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcJ0YIqnD50[/ame]
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    Well, I had to do two time smaller texel size once we moved to metalness variant of PBR to reach same visual texture crispness because of edge artifacts.

Perhaps I am still missing something but specular veriant of PBR is not exactly physically based since it allows to make what you think is right rather than what the energy conservation dictates. To a some extent at least.

I don't feel hugely restricted actually, I just see no real advantages + extra head ache.

The only advantage is GGX highlight spot shape being slightly more anisotropic but I guess it's nothing related to locked nature of the shader.

ps. What makes PBR materials looking better is a bit of environment reflecting/color influence. Looks like evrybody think it's something only possible with PBR letters while in fact you could do the same in unlocked shader too and have a lot more control over it, especially when you couldn't allow true dynamic reflections and huge amount of probes.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you're working with a PBR system, it's always two parts. Its shaders, plus art content. You can break PBR conventions in both a metalness and specular workflow.

For instance, you can use a bright albedo value and a partial (gray) metallic value and break the metalness workflow in the same way you can break the specular workflow. Again, these are simply texture input methods, and using specular/metalness does not mean your workflow is physically accurate or is not physically accurate.

Edge artifacts are specific to the metalness workflow and have nothing to do with PBR. Complaining about issues with the metalness workflow and attributing them to PBR is like saying "I hate beer" because Miller Lite is awful or "I hate crayons" because you don't like the color blue. These things are not intrinsically tied together.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Shrike wrote: »
    Don't try finding an alpha and omega tool, its not meant to replace photoshop and you will get best results combining those tools. Procedual is at its best to do the rough 80% and have a great base, then add the important layer of polish per hand. It is possible, but dont expect to trump a combination by just using a single tool out of convenience. Its just about convenience right ?

The substance suite can absolutely replace Photoshop completely - I've been using it for a few months now both at work and at home and you can most definitely texture things from start to finish within the suite. This is especially true if you're using an engine that can read SBS files directly (UE4 and Unity5 both do this).

There's few major studios who have been using it extensively for texturing.

Here is a great GDC talk that shows the kind of pipeline that integrates substance designer into it:
    http://www.gamespot.com/videos/remaking-the-art-of-halo-2-for-xbox-one-gdc-2015/2300-6423667/
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    For instance, you can use a bright albedo value and a partial (gray) metallic value and break the metalness workflow in the same way you can break the specular workflow.

It's what I am doing for dirty dust covered metals to avoid artifacts . But every time I wonder why I have to invent ways to deceive that inflexible PBR system and can't just do what I think is right the way I think is most suitable ? Why I should fight with things reflecting something from too distant and too wrong probe and so on.

And regarding specular PBR. Any too noisy and contrast roughness values produce halos too, in our specular PBR variant at least so I also have to waste my time finding right input combination.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    It's what I am doing for dirty dust covered metals to avoid artifacts . But every time I wonder why I have to invent ways to deceive that inflexible PBR system and can't just do what I think is right the way I think is most suitable ? Why I should fight with things reflecting something from too distant and too wrong probe and so on.

And regarding specular PBR. Any too noisy and contrast roughness values produce halos too, in our specular PBR variant at least so I also have to waste my time finding right input combination.

Things like the wrong probe being used is really an engine dependent problem. It's more of a failing of the system being used to implement PBR rather than a sign that PBR itself is bad.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt wrote: »
    Things like the wrong probe being used is really an engine dependent problem. It's more of a failing of the system being used to implement PBR rather than a sign that PBR itself is bad.

Yep, that's the crux of the matter. All of these issues are implementation specific and have nothing to do with PBR per say.
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    I agree that it's not exactly PBR fault, it's a consequence of its fixed inflexible nature. Not allowing to do simple tricks to solve engine limitations.

And we still have a lot of such limitations in often very faked environment things.

I don't understand how anything inflexible could be a good thing while every 3d soft tends to be as much flexible as possible.

For assets unification purposes a few material samples are quite enough. Wy we extra need some hard codded limitations?
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    some interesting material on the topic
    http://readyatdawn.com/presentations/
    http://blog.selfshadow.com/publications/s2015-shading-course/

gnoop, the point of PBR is to represent reality better than previous system and allow assets to behave well in different real-world light conditions (proper HDR...). It's widely adopted in film and games as it helps to drive costs down (less per-scenery tweaking) and improve quality as EarthQuake has been mentioning.

I cannot follow your flexible/inflexible reasoning, given all real-time shading systems have certain limitations.

It is not a "trend", the term has been around for a while, just look into the popular "Physically Based Rendering" book, which was published in first edition 2004 http://www.pbrt.org/ We simply can afford doing more of it today.
  • Wolthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wolthera polycounter lvl 5
    I was under the impression that PBR was just a really cohesive system for realistic style shaders due to the way it tries to model itself after real-life materials, making it a little easier to keep cohesion in a game with a realistic style.

I wasn't aware it destroyed all NPR or otherwise artistic possibilities in engines? Surely, it's still possible to stick any given custom shader into the currently availeble engines despite them having PBR as the default?
    I wouldn't be worried until that is the case?
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    It's pretty straightforward to do that in Unity but it's quite a bit more involved to do it in Unreal because the GBuffer layout is tightly coupled with the engine code and your options for custom lighting are pretty limited compared to UDK. You can still do lots of neat art direction in any PBR system, though, and while there are quite a few things that I don't like about the way UE4 does things it's still capable of many different styles of art.
  • Thane-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thane- polycounter lvl 3
    One thing i notice about some PBR renders is that 3/4 of the model is "covered in" sheen sometimes and doesn't look interesting at all. The real world can look extremely bland and even ugly, depending on the individual of course (perhaps some people find everything beautiful...). One thing i didn't like about the LOTR movies was the normalness of many of the exterior shots (Rohan). I felt like it needed things like more bloom and mist to help it feel like a more interesting and magical place.

You don't have to tell me that more realism in art/graphics is not going to make things better all by itself.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One thing i notice about some PBR renders is that 3/4 of the model is "covered in" sheen sometimes and doesn't look interesting at all. The real world can look extremely bland and even ugly, depending on the individual of course (perhaps some people find everything beautiful...). One thing i didn't like about the LOTR movies was the normalness of many of the exterior shots (Rohan). I felt like it needed things like more bloom and mist to help it feel like a more interesting and magical place.

You don't have to tell me that more realism in art/graphics is not going to make things better all by itself.

This is an art content/art direction issue and has nothing to do with PBR or any technical aspect of rendering. Whether you make boring or interesting content is entirely up to you.
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    the point of PBR is to represent reality better than previous system and allow assets to behave well in different real-world light conditions (proper HDR...). It's widely adopted in film and games as it helps to drive costs down (less per-scenery tweaking) and improve quality as EarthQuake has been mentioning.

I cannot follow your flexible/inflexible reasoning, given all real-time shading systems have certain limitations.

It is not a "trend", the term has been around for a while, just look into the popular "Physically Based Rendering" book, which was published in first edition 2004 http://www.pbrt.org/ We simply can afford doing more of it today.

Yeah, it's what I heard many times. Represent reality better, less tweaking and improve quality. But in reality you may tweak them to death, fighting with rigid system not allowing to compensate some tiny aspect not exactly 100% physically correct in your engine/ PBR implementation. I understand such approach for unbiased offline renderer but in games it just ties your hands even more.

Having a bit of environment reflecting in every material is basically what makes PBR looking more real. But you could do the same easily with old shaders without all those collateral edge/halo artifacts.

When I say inflexible I also mean the fact that now we have to ask coder every time we need some small fix, wait a week and then adjust our work to new version of physical correctness.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Yeah, it's what I heard many times. Represent reality better, less tweaking and improve quality. But in reality you may tweak them to death, fighting with rigid system not allowing to compensate some tiny aspect not exactly 100% physically correct in your engine/ PBR implementation. I understand such approach for unbiased offline renderer but in games it just ties your hands even more.

Having a bit of environment reflecting in every material is basically what makes PBR looking more real. But you could do the same easily with old shaders without all those collateral edge/halo artifacts.

When I say inflexible I also mean the fact that now we have to ask coder every time we need some small fix, wait a week and then adjust our work to new version of physical correctness.

These issues don't occur in Unity or Ue4. It's not PBR that's inflexible. It's the engine you're using. I've never seen the halo effect you're talking about and I've used all kinds of PBR enabled engines.
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    You are doing characters/props with tiny texel size, right? Not a repetitive rock or noisy ground texture where you need to choose texel size vs repetitiveness.

I have never tried Unity but in U4 I see all the same problems , not as severe as in our engine although.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    You are doing characters/props with tiny texel size, right? Not a repetitive rock or noisy ground texture where you would choose texel size vs repetitiveness

I've done a bunch of different tasks with PBR. That sounds like a problem with the texture filtering or anti-aliasing. It shouldn't matter what texel size your texture is. It's not related to PBR unless they've poorly implemented the shader somehow.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The white edge issue at transition with the metalness workflow is well documented (see here: http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/pbr-conversion#metalvspec) however, yet again this is not a "PBR" problem, its a texture standard format problem.

You won't get the problem with the specular workflow, however, you will the opposite problem (dark edges) but much less pronounced (to the point that it's irrelevant). This again isn't related to PBR, you'll get it with any shader that uses IBL blurring for gloss/roughness levels.

Both problems have little to do with PBR but rather are caused by texture filtering. The problem is that texture filtering blurs the texture so that it won't look pixelated, but this means you're averaging the metalness and gloss/roughness values along edges.

Obviously turning off filtering isn't a solution. The only real way to solve this would be to go all the way back to an IBL shader that didn't blur the reflectivity content to match the gloss, which looked awful back in the day when we did that.

metalnessfiltering.jpg

At this point if you're having some consistent issue with your PBR pipeline it would be more productive to post images of the problem so someone can give suggestions, rather than continue to blame it all on PBR or perceived (misconstrued) restrictions.
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    To post images and even name the project I have to ask for written permissions and so on, blah, blah as usual.

I have no huge problems with PBR workflow actually I just wonder why everybody seem so exited when I personally find it more restricting than helping.

What you call "specular workflow" is very similar to our old shader system. We started to use both specular and glossiness + Fresnel reflections decade ago and nobody called it PBR.

So yes, I call PBR typical metalness approach. not specular one. Our current specular workflow is basically metalness one with added extra speclevel input.

The metalness workflow in practice means severe quality decrease imo and thus more repetitive textures.

In theory you should save on textures with metalness PBR, in practice it turns pretty opposite.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, you can say that PBR = metalness, but you're simply wrong. PBR is a well defined standard at this point. It's annoying having to constantly correct this, but I will continue to do so as otherwise it will confuse new/inexperienced users who do not fully understand the concepts of PBR, so please be clear what you're talking about. We have enough misconceptions and miss-information surrounding PBR and tech in game art as it is.

I agree to some extent about issues with the metalness workflow, I don't think it's a severe quality decrease but I do personally prefer the specular workflow with a full color reflectivity input, which is no more or less physically accurate than other methods.
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    In theory you should save on textures with metalness PBR, in practice it turns pretty opposite.

you do? you dont need a full rgb texture for specular. therefore you can have a multi mask and an albedo map for one texture set.
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    Personally I use Metalness when there is metal involved and specular when there is no metals involved e.g plastics, wood.
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    you do? you dont need a full rgb texture for specular. therefore you can have a multi mask and an albedo map for one texture set.

I meant that once I have to use metalness I know I either have to twice the texture size or make the texture twice more repetitive.

As of calling specular approach another PBR variant, I don't understand. Within that approach you can easily modulate the intensity of highlight by hand, breaking forced energy conservation and choosing what should be on roughness/gloss channel and what details go to speclevel.

It's a flexible approach and extremely helpful for a huge amount of materials where using only roughness is impossible. Basically every material with too strong pixel to pixel roughness contrast.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I meant that once I have to use metalness I know I either have to twice the texture size or make the texture twice more repetitive.

As a general rule this is simply not true or necessary. Countless artists and games use the metalness workflow and do not need to double the texture size to do so. There may be some very small range of specific situations where having extra texture res helps, but again, as a general statement this makes no sense.

If this is such a widespread problem, it would be very easy to provide visual evidence so we can understand the context of the problem. Even if you can't show work due to NDA, if such a glaring deficiency exists, surely you could make an example with 15 minutes of work.
    As of calling specular approach PBR too I don't understand. Within that approach you can easily modulate the intensity of highlight by hand, breaking forced energy conservation and choosing what should be on roughness/gloss channel and what details go to speclevel.

You do not understand, that much is clear. What isn't clear is why, this has been explained in great detail in this thread and others and you've been provided with lots of reference material. I can only assume you haven't bothered to read any of it.

In addition to Christoph's (crazybutcher) links, I'm sure you've seen these already but I will link them again:

Here's an article by S
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    As a general rule this is simply not true or necessary. Countless artists and games use the metalness workflow and do not need to double the texture size to do so. There may be some very small range of specific situations where having extra texture res helps, but again, as a general statement this makes no sense.

If this is such a widespread problem, it would be very easy to provide visual evidence so we can understand the context of the problem. Even if you can't show work due to NDA, if such a glaring deficiency exists, surely you could make an example with 15 minutes of work.

You do not understand, that much is clear. What isn't clear is why, this has been explained in great detail in this thread and others and you've been provided with lots of reference material. I can only assume you haven't bothered to read any of it.

In addition to Christoph's (crazybutcher) links, I'm sure you've seen these already but I will link them again:

Here's an article by S
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I would agree with the statement that if possible, it would be great for you to post practical examples of these problematic cases. It would benefit everyone, and could even lead to new creative solutions - much more so than merely discussing the theory behind it all :)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Should I really have to post same examples?

When you have rendering engineers and technical artists posting here telling you that what you're saying is wrong, and you can't post a reference to a single article that agrees with your conclusions, yes, the burden of proof is on you. I do not consider "because I said so" to be a compelling argument.
    Thanks a lot for the links and your “educate yourself” advice. Although not sure if you noticed or not but your last link says about specular workflow “Easy to use illogical reflectance values which gives inaccurate results” and “Diffusion and reflectance are set directly with two explicit inputs “
    So where I am wrong when say it allows to break energy conservation.
    This has already been covered, but I will say it again:

With both specular and metalness PBR workflows you can create results that are not physically accurate. Potential to create inaccurate results does not mean the entire workflow is inaccurate, it's only inaccurate if you don't know what you're doing or purposely break conventions, crucially, with both workflows.
    1. If artists do not understand workflow, it’s easy to use illogical values in metalness map and break the system
    From the same article.
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    I have a milestone in a couple weeks and shouldn't even post here actually but I will do make/find few examples later.

I don't say PBR approach inaccurate.

I say it's inconvenient at first and creating false impression that once you measure and calibrate everything you couldn't do any better . Even if your result looks somehow not that great and artifact filled .

I can do same quality materials. PBR or not. I just don't see where it is helpful

And sometimes I have to invent illogical tricks like doing asphalt cracks
    metallic to kill all possible highlight there or make secondary Fresnel to do some diffuse texture variation not exactly Schlick based.