Home Quixel Megascans

bug: 'Save Project As' to current directory writes an empty project.xml

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
Hey guys, maybe this is a known bug - but i ran into a frustrating one on my way out of the office.

I was double-checking that the project i'd been working on was being saved in the correct directory, so i selected Save Project As. After I saw it was saving to the correct location I hit OK, because I assumed it would save just fine. But it seems Save As is more of a Move Project because it wrote out an empty Project.xml.

I'd loove to have an error-check to see if the current project.xml already exists in the specified directory, and if so, to run the same function as 'Save Project' rather than blowing it all away, or at the very least pop up an error.

It's my bad for assuming it'd work fine, but that's the expected behavior for me based on other programs 'Save As' :(

In the meantime of course all my PSD's still exist properly, but I don't suppose there's a way to recover the lost linkages now that the XML is gone? This project consisted of several materials, so i'd love to avoid redoing them all :poly122:

thanks, hope this post will save some of ya'll from making a n00b mistake like me!!!

Replies

• realeyez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    realeyez polycounter lvl 11
    Not sure if this is a known issue either, but I can confirm this. Same thing happened to me leaving work the other day. Finished a project, decided to Save As so I had a fresh final version separate from my working version, and I lost all data in my Project.XML/mask links in my materials.
  • gmanFX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This hit me once as well.

What I do now is after setting up a brand new project in DDO, I use "Save" not "Save As"
    This makes sure everything is saved correctly in a folder DDO creates.

Than I use "Save As" so the project is saved/copied into a folder of my choice. Yes, it seems "Save As" is more of a copy/move files.. It's strange

Do not keep working... close the current DDO project. Open the project now from the "Save As" folder. I also delete the old project folder that DDO created. By opening the project from my "Save As" folder, DDO now knows where it's working from. Now as you work, you can simply use the "save" function since DDO will be working from your proper folder.

If your working on a current project and want to make a backup into a new folder, make sure you do a "Save" first. This will allow DDO to write all of it's changes to the current directory. Than do a "Save As" so it can move/copy to a new folder of your choice. Close DDO, open the project from the new "Save As" folder and keep working. You will have your older project folder as your backup. I never use "Save As" while working, only "Save" so DDO never gets confused where to save files.

Seems to work so far. I have not had any problems since I started this work flow about a year ago.