Home General Discussion

How should a portfolio piece be presented?

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Bluestemos polycounter lvl 5
I'm not sure if I should've posted this in the Showcase section, but ah well.

I just finished a prop for a game and I thought I could put it up on my portfolio. The question is, how should I present the model? Since it's game model, I want to render it within an engine (Unity 5 in my case), but now I just have the prop sitting on a cylinder in the air. I thought about just cropping out everything but the prop, but the shadows would've looked kind of weird.

tJAvklO.jpg

I've noticed that it's quite common for people to render their props in something like Marmoset's Toolbag, but I don't have the access to it so it's not an option.
Any suggestions as to something I should change?

Replies

• JustMeSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JustMeSR polycounter lvl 4
    Unity, Unreal or Marmoset is technical question. Even if you put your asset into Marmoset it wouldn't immediately become professionally presented.

Your current problem is on the art side. I would suggest to look at sites like artstation and take inspiration on how to present models and use that. If the model looks good it will be a great piece no matter the software (unless you are using some 10 years old abandoned open-source engine :poly124:)

For personal tips:

Make custom platform model that blends well with your asset (something you would find inside a cave, or wherever are those minerals supposed to be).

Get a proper background HDR and use it for lighting and backdrop.

Improve lighting.

Add post processing.
  • Bluestemos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bluestemos polycounter lvl 5
    JustMeSR wrote: »
    Unity, Unreal or Marmoset is technical question. Even if you put your asset into Marmoset it wouldn't immediately become professionally presented.

Your current problem is on the art side. I would suggest to look at sites like artstation and take inspiration on how to present models and use that. If the model looks good it will be a great piece no matter the software (unless you are using some 10 years old abandoned open-source engine :poly124:)

For personal tips:

Make custom platform model that blends well with your asset (something you would find inside a cave, or wherever are those minerals supposed to be).

Get a proper background HDR and use it for lighting and backdrop.

Improve lighting.

Add post processing.

Thanks a lot for your tips. Presentation and rendering have always been my weaknesses.
    I'll try to make a better scene for the model. Just took a look at Art Station as well, it seems a lot of people simply use a white backdrop for their presentations. The render actually has some post-processing, but on second thought, it could use a bit more.