Home Technical Talk

Modular question

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
repete polycounter lvl 6
Below are some pics of a modular level I am working on. The corridor parts are done and I am working up to larger areas.

BZWYfZC.png

My question is what is the most game efficient way to finish the larger areas as I don't see logic in adding all the details with the structures in one fbx file. Most of the details will be modelled btw.

What is the best way to break down the below, it will only be used once in the level so it will be unique and the textures wont be tiled, I am not going down the tiling texture road when I will be putting much time and effort into modelling the details (tri count is not an issue) which of course means that the texel density is going to be an issue.

XJ8vegi.png

g9xqgYo.png

Any help or tips would be very welcome :thumbup:

Cheers

pete

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    You should still tile, cause thats a huge object, and it would require insane texture res with unique texture. There are many ways for breaking up the tiled look. For the modularity - You can make a section (quarter or less) and duplicate it around.
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    Obscura wrote: »
    You should still tile, cause thats a huge object, and it would require insane texture res with unique texture. There are many ways for breaking up the tiled look. For the modularity - You can make a section (quarter or less) and duplicate it around.

It is huge but is possible to cut it up into 4 parts ? seams are not an issue for me btw. The outside cylinder is 2048 x 2048 (po2), so if its divided by 4 it gives me the same texture ratio as the modular corridors, also means I can just use one quarter and do the rest in UE4.

Tunnels and corridors have been easy but this is new ground for me.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    I think you could easily divide it. There are ways to work completely seamlessly btw(not polypaint).What do you mean by same texture ratio? I'd suggest to make the whole thing in your modeling package, so you can weld the seams, and not get any hard edge or lightmap seam.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    Hey good work there Repete, this is coming along nicely ...
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    peanut™ wrote: »
    Hey good work there Repete, this is coming along nicely ...

Cheers mate, you wont believe what it's going to be :poly121:
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    Obscura wrote: »
    I think you could easily divide it. There are ways to work completely seamlessly btw(not polypaint).What do you mean by same texture ratio? I'd suggest to make the whole thing in your modeling package, so you can weld the seams, and not get any hard edge or lightmap seam.

Thanks for the input Obscura

I am actually worried about decals having more detail on one modular segment than the other. I'll just get the parts built and see what happens once I start texturing.