Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Buffy The Vampire Slayer Library Scene UE4

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Nathan3D polycounter lvl 7
Hey so most of my environments are outside environments so thought i would do something inside and I was watching some buffy so thought why not.

My real aim was to just give it a try and also to follow a tight time constraint, I gave myself three days to complete this.
I didnt manage to get everything done but i think i did enough so that you can tell what it is and the time is up so im posting the images.

Not portfolio worthy but let me know what yous think?

01.png
02.png

Replies

• pongstah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pongstah polycounter lvl 12
    It is very well lit which is good but it looks too much like any other library. I can't tell if this is their hideout without reading the title.
  • MattyWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattyWS polycounter lvl 11
    pongstah wrote: »
    It is very well lit which is good but it looks too much like any other library. I can't tell if this is their hideout without reading the title.
    But it's literally a school library...
  • CarlF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CarlF polycounter lvl 6
    Something was bugging me about the layout, the bookcases should be laid out in an octagonal layout, to match the floor texture you have. It looks like you have flattened them out too much. Found a blueprint which might help you get a better idea of the proportions :

Sunnydale_high_library_blueprint.jpg
  • Cay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 5
    I hate to ask that question but did you build lighting? there's nothing but direct shadows.. no ao or anything visible
    or is it supposed to be dynamic lighting

see how the chairs are kind of floating?
  • Nathan3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Like MattyWS said it is just a school library lol but I get your point thanks

I did have the lower shelves like that but the perspective.made it seem a bit off and with the reference I was using it was too maybe ill go back and move stuff about and see, it's all modular so shouldn't take to long from the blueprints it looks like the stairs should be pointing in more to so I'll try that

It is baked with professional lighting. Maybe because I have two directional lights and a small skylight? When I turn up the AO in the post process you can see parts get darker in the corners and the bookshelves and what not
  • pongstah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattyWS wrote: »
    But it's literally a school library...

I still think it's missing something. Maybe you can put a big banner there saying something like "welcome to sunnydale high! come in, the library is open until 9 pm". I think adding simple things like that really helps to sell the idea you are trying to convey and completes the image you are trying to create. You don't have to go overboard and add flashy stuff like glowing relics and portals that take away the focus from the beautifully modeled environment you have here!
  • Nathan3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pongstah wrote: »
    I still think it's missing something. Maybe you can put a big banner there saying something like "welcome to sunnydale high! come in, the library is open until 9 pm". I think adding simple things like that really helps to sell the idea you are trying to convey and completes the image you are trying to create. You don't have to go overboard and add flashy stuff like glowing relics and portals that take away the focus from the beautifully modeled environment you have here!

yea i guess but something like that never really appears on the show. I could maybe put a couple of stakes or crosses on the table?
  • pongstah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah crosses and steaks good! but something instantly recognizable as being part of the show is probably better like you mentioned. I myself don't remember much though.