Home Technical Talk

Help with making detailed gauge lines

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Thane- polycounter lvl 3
I've got this im trying to texture below. I know i can use the ellipse tool in photoshop to make the circles, but im wondering if there is a nicer way to make the small lines that run outward from the center intersecting the circles other than using the point to point shift+click drawing ability and masking out the unwanted results. I don't have a perfect straight-on reference photo either, so i'd probably have to measure out the exact center, draw lines all the way outward from there to make sure its all symmetrical and then have to mask out a ton of each line.

Any better way to do this?

55l41.jpg

Replies

• LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    You could model them theoretically, and bake them, by model I mean like the whole line and it's ticks. It's might be a little tedious, but it'll be damn near perfect.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    With such shapes, sometimes I put some cylinders in my modeling package with a right amount of division on the cap of it, and render out some wireframes, or I bake. Maybe faster , because you don't have to manually paint the lines.
  • Ramseus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ramseus polycounter lvl 13
    duplicate a "tick" on a curve, or just duplicate it along a straight line and then bend the whole shebang, bake it, rejoice!
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, do each one on straight, then bend them. Easy to make in 3D or 2D. Text is easier to control in Photoshop, but the bend is easier in 3D.

I would bend each of the 5 curves independently because if I bent them all together the outer text would be stretched, the inner squished.
  • Thane-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thane- polycounter lvl 3
    This was super helpful. Thanks to all.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    In photoshop you can do this by putting in some guides where the center of the radius is and using paths transformed around this centerpoint. You can move the transform center whenever you're rotating something with the transform tool and if you snap it to the placed guides you'll always get a consistent center. The text can be on paths to stay consistent.