Home Technical Talk

How to prevent 3DS Max viewport from darkening model with certain angles?

sublime tool
Offline / Send Message
beefaroni sublime tool
Hi all, I've had this issue for a bit but I finally figured I'd post about it.

When rotating my model in 3ds Max, it gets pretty damn dark under certain angles. Is there any way to prevent it?

907d2220a47ac27dabad8a372e0ae6c6.png

same viewport

c9b946f57f2496df1c32b39f6b8b12c4.png

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, Viewport Configuration, set default lighting to 1 light instead of 2. The 1-light setting keeps the light facing (nearly) the same direction as the viewpoint.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Yeah, Viewport Configuration, set default lighting to 1 light instead of 2. The 1-light setting keeps the light facing (nearly) the same direction as the viewpoint.

Hmm, I tried that and it didn't solve the problem.

A co-worker recommended changing the ambient light (rendering > enviornment > global lighting > ambient) to a dark gray instead of black. Works perfectly!
  • Thane-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thane- polycounter lvl 3
    beefaroni wrote: »
    Hmm, I tried that and it didn't solve the problem.

A co-worker recommended changing the ambient light (rendering > enviornment > global lighting > ambient) to a dark gray instead of black. Works perfectly!
    Thanks, that helped me too :)

I sometimes get helpful results with unchecking lights follow camera. Sometimes...
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    The reason is that by default, you have a light attached to the camera (when you don't have any placed light), and the phong shading works like that. Placing some lights in the scene would also prevent this.